Fringe Benefit Consortium 457b (I am a teacher)

mannyahles

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hello,

I have a 457B thru my school district and it is a Nationwide account advised by Meeder.

My current investment allocation for future contributions is 82% large-cap stocks, 6% mid-cap, 3% small cap, 3% International, and 5% Specialty.

My question is: Is 80% + wise to invest in large cap during this market?

I don't see any bonds or I was interested in Ivy Funds High Income (Axa Equitable)?

Any ideas or comments?

I have been reading thsi forum (and others) trying to self educate myself.

Thx in advance for any insight!

Manny Ahles

Manny,

You say the allocation you describe is for future contributions. What does your overall allocation look like? Hard to provide an educated response without more info.

This is what I have. I put in $550 a month for 11 months.

Abrden Emrg Mkt A

1%

AmCent Hertg A‡

2%

BlkRk Hlth Scnc Oppr Inv A

1%

Flex Aggr Gr

50%

Flex Dynmc Gr

30%

Invsco Divrs Divd Inv

1%

LrdAbt Fdmntl Eq A‡

1%

Opp Devl Mkt A

2%

Opp Eq Inc A‡

2%

Ptnm Voyager A

2%

RS Tech A‡

1%

RdgWrth MdCap Val Eq I

2%

RdgWrth SmCap Val Eq I

1%

WFA Gr A‡

3%

WR Ivy Scnc Tech Y

1%

Total

100%

Does that help?

Manny, congratulations on getting serious about investing. You owe it to yourself to do a little reading. It is not hard, but it is necessary. No one cares as much about your finances as you. Many will try to take advantage of you if you are not educated.

Start with one or more of these books. I like the Bogleheads Guide to Investing.

Investment Books

If you are very young then 80% growth stocks can be OK but its high to me. I would look for bonds to add since this is a tax deferred account and a good place to hold bonds. You could get a growth fund or total market index fund in a taxable account as they are tax efficient. The site 403(b)wise . The Leading Source of 403(b) Information on the Web also has 457 forums and you can get some specific advice from fellow educators there.

I have been on the 403b wise site quite a bit. I will go check out the forum and do some more reading! I am 43 and I know I really have to start participating in my future so i can retire comfortably.

I will; definitely get a book or two to read. Thx for all your help,

Manny

This is what I have. I put in $550 a month for 11 months.
Abrden Emrg Mkt A 1%
AmCent Hertg A‡ 2%
BlkRk Hlth Scnc Oppr Inv A 1%
Flex Aggr Gr 50%
Flex Dynmc Gr 30%
Invsco Divrs Divd Inv 1%
LrdAbt Fdmntl Eq A‡ 1%
Opp Devl Mkt A 2%
Opp Eq Inc A‡ 2%
Ptnm Voyager A 2%
RS Tech A‡ 1%
RdgWrth MdCap Val Eq I 2%
RdgWrth SmCap Val Eq I 1%
WFA Gr A‡ 3%
WR Ivy Scnc Tech Y1%
Total
100%

Does that help?

The above seems to indicate that you are putting money into all these funds ?! If that's true please start reading from the suggested reading lists as soon as possible. You really should only have a handful of funds total. Basically just one in each asset class you want to cover.

This is the break down. I am going to see about CalSTRS and their 403b. Hopefully they have some Vanguard investment possibilities.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom