Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You misunderstood my intent. I think the board gives her a fair amount of respect, precisely because she is not one of life's typical losers. She is thought by many (though not by me) to be a talented writer. She obviously had and still has money- probably even now more than many on this very board. After you have been around here for a while you will see who is disrespected. Some random dumb schmuck, or someone who had some bad luck that board members think should have been overcome or avoided by proper planning, or cheaper eating, selling one's children or whatever.

Ha
I appreciate the clarification--though I am not sure I am seeing your point. Are you basically saying that you don't respect the financial decisions and lifestlye choices she made in her life? Are you saying she did not plan properly? (I am not trying to be argumentative or challenge your questions---honestly trying to understand where you are coming from.)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenandrew View Post
I appreciate the clarification--though I am not sure I am seeing your point. Are you basically saying that you don't respect the financial decisions and lifestlye choices she made in her life? Are you saying she did not plan properly? (I am not trying to be argumentative or challenge your questions---honestly trying to understand where you are coming from.)
LOL! THis is getting too compicated! I'll just stick to what is clear- I shed no tears for person. Every day I see many people worse off than her, and possibly none better off.

But as to crime victims, for me she is way down on the list. She was a qualified investor, she had some special juice that got her in with the big dogs. It didn't work out. Boo-hoo!

Ha

Old 01-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
LOL! THis is getting too compicated! I'll just stick to what is clear- I shed no tears for person. Every day I see many people worse off than her, and possibly none better off.

But as to crime victims, for me she is way down on the list. She was a qualified investor, she had some special juice that got her in with the big dogs. It didn't work out. Boo-hoo!

Ha
Understood---in that case, we would disagree. Thanks for the clarification though.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would love to see clarification on how much people actually lost. For Ms Penney I would like to see how much she invested and how much she withdrew, for me the only real loss is the difference is between these two numbers.

The truth is there are probably a lot of people out there who have no money at all to invest who may be enjoying what they see as elitist like members of this board take a beating in the stock market.

If you want me to feel sorry for the Madoff victims should I then be feeling just as sorry for members of this board who have taken a beating because of their investment choices? The truth is we are all big boys and girls responsible for our own money and as such we all have to live with their consequences.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I would love to see clarification on how much people actually lost.
Yeah, I know... it's not real clarification. Nevertheless...

Madoff suicide investor lost own money, too - U.S. business- msnbc.com

Quote:
The French financier who killed himself after losing more than $1 billion of his clients' investments to Bernard Madoff's alleged fraud also saw his own family's money disappear, his older brother told The Associated Press on Friday.
Marc Rich's Madoff Loss "Insignificant": $10-$15 Million

Quote:
A spokeswoman said he suffered an “insignificant” loss in the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme.

Alison Leigh Cowan of The Times reports that the loss was “$10 million to $15 million.”
MADOFF LOSS: TAX WRITEOFFS - New York Post

Quote:
Experts say tax rules allow taxpayers to write off losses from theft, such as those alleged in the Ponzi scheme admitted to by Madoff, who's lost investors billions, and may have cost the Internal Revenue Service $17 billion in lost tax revenue.
and so on and so on and so on...
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Pauper no more? Seems she's made lemonade, crying all the way to the bank?

Bilked by Madoff, Blog’s ‘Bag Lady’ Gets Book Deal - ArtsBeat Blog - NYTimes.com
Old 02-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

She's already a bestselling author and obviously has the publishing contacts--so in a sense she's just going back to work, I guess. Lucky her.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

She's a real piece of work, what a yutz...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote