Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"simple" has been used a lot as well. Does it have a positive enough connotation?

As in "I live positively simply contentedly."

You apparently don't want to use the word "ghetto":

A New Term for Lousy Parenting - Motherlode Blog - NYTimes.com but that is probably for another thread.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How about "efficient"?

I try to use money efficiently. I don't want to be wasteful so I like to get good value from the things I need to buy. I may take the time to find a better price on an item or decide to buy a different one if the price is lower and it will do the same job or last as long.

I'm not a fanatic, but I enjoy this. Usually if I splurge on something it's a nice dinner out or fresh fish or fruit that I enjoy. Or a kitchen gadget. As long as it's free shipping!

Old 07-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
What Rich said. In 2007, describing oneself as frugal means you are cheap. In 2009, frugal meant you were conformist and smart and following the 5 o clock news that times are tough. If we have a strong economy in 2011 or 2012, frugality will no longer be "cool" or conformist but rather deviant behaviour once more.

I'm pretty much a frugal person. But instead of keeping track of when frugal is cool or not to be hip (old lingo, I know) with the times, I think I'll just wait around til the cycle repeats.

Everything old is new again
Old 07-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I've been reading or hearing 'frugal living' or 'simple living' in the Great Recession and it sounds acceptable to me.
When I sometimes describe the style of my living (can't stand shopping, packing lunch every day, etc.) or when I whine (how will I deal with shopping when my kids gets older?), I'd say "I'm cheap" in the end. I think I'll have to change it to "frugal" or "thrifty" instead .
Old 07-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #25

If this economy doesn't turn around for a few more years, a whole generation could end up thinking of "frugal" as just "normal".
Old 07-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like to distance my inner self from financial styles. I would rather focus on being kind, loving, creative, helpful, insightful, honest, etc....and "careful with money." The words such as "frugal, cheap, thrifty," etc. are adjectives used to describe the actions, or even character of a person.

When I am obsessing about this or that, my soul feels "pinchy," no matter what the bank account looks like.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #27

To incline your life towards voluntary simplicity is noble. Forgo all that advertised/designer labeled/unimportant stuff to focus on the people around you who really matter.

To be a cheapskate is to not pay your own way. To skate through life living on the fruits of others labor is very much the opposite of noble.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
When I am obsessing about this or that, my soul feels "pinchy," no matter what the bank account looks like.
I was looking for the "like" button, then realized that I wasn't on Facebook. I really like this perspective on things antmary!
Old 07-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

It really doesn't matter what word you use because all that matters is how you feel about your own actions. Why put so much thought into what something is labeled anyway? People have different opinions of whether some words have positive or negative connotations anyway. So, why worry so much about it? Unless you care what other people think. And if you have enough confidence in your own actions, it shouldn't matter what other people think.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I used to fiddle around with one of those electronic spellchecker/dictionary/thesaurus things. I'd try to start of with a word with a good definition, then by using likewords, find a word that had a negative meaning. Or I'd go from bad to good.

Guess it really is semantics and "in the eyes of the beholder".
Old 07-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm partial to the idea of exercising good "stewardship" in how you manage your resources and otherwise conduct your affairs - being responsible, appreciative, thoughtful, etc., and hence not wasteful, spendthrift, etc. There's nothing negative in that and plenty of room for balance as well. FWIW.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

"Mindful" and "careful" are good watch-words for lots of activities: saving, spending, eating, driving....

Amethyst
Old 07-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Cheap, frugal, efficient, debt-free, financially independent, wealthy. Even miserly. Any point along the spectrum can be interpreted the same as any other. The context is always going to be far more important than the content

It is up to us to use them only as a starting point for painting the spending-habit picture
Old 07-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #34

As W2R implies, "frugal" and "cheap" are not synonymous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I do not want to debate if frugal, cheap living cheapskate, tightwad, penny pinching are not good ideas or have a negative connotation, if it is changing, should it change or if they are negative to you personally. They are not virtues. Nor is this concept splitting hairs.
I don't know if you meant it or not, but certainly the above comes across as "I am not prepared to accept any dissenting viewpoints, for I know best. End of discussion".

FWIW, I second DallasGuy's and rockyj's comments.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Same as many people here, the term "frugal" has never been a negative word to me. I occasionally call myself a "cheapskate" in jest. But I would be upset if someone other than close friends jokingly calls me that. In fact, I have not done anything to anybody to be called cheap by them.

Although I did not buy any Armani suit, back when I was still wearing suits, and have bought only run-of-the-mill vehicles instead of Lexus, or BMW, or Mercedes, I don't think I am cheap because of that. I give appropriate gifts and presents to my relatives. I reciprocate to friends at social outings. When I invite relatives or friends over for dinner, I take time to prepare and to serve the meals, and they know I value their company.

Many years ago, I read about the difference between frugal and cheap from Andrew Tobias. Cheap only applies to how you treat others. He gave the following examples. Not buying expensive drinks or candies from the hotel room minibar is not cheap. But it is cheap not to give sufficient tips to your waiter.

I hope that helps.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Interesting...so if it's 90 degrees outside and I have company over, to leave the a/c off and only use a fan is cheap, but if I don't have company over, that is frugal and thrifty. Does make sense as in the case of not having company over, that's more a choice of priorities, whereas with company over, to have the a/c on is called being a good host.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
...but if I don't have company over, that is frugal and thrifty...
No, that's not frugal. It's just HOT!

Frugal is to set the thermostat to 79F when you are alone.

Outside temp of 108F as we speak.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Frugal and Cheap living are not good ideas

My boss once said something similar. In fact he said he didn't hold much respect for people who lived that way. Well he's 70+ and still working. But, to each their own.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Or perhaps:

being cheap is to spend as little as possible, even if it means being uncomfortable

being frugal is to make yourself comfortable while spending as little as possible. It's been 108F around here, too. But I can drink a pitcher of ice water, stay mostly in one room that has both a ceiling fan and a high quality electric fan and feel cold even with the central air completely off
Old 07-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I just look up your profile and see that you are in Nevada!

I can stand the cold a lot better than the heat. In fact, in the winter, I set the thermostat to 45F in my place in the mountain, and use a space heater to keep my bedroom at 60F.

Well, we are all different in what we call comfortable. So, if you are OK with 108F, I won't call you cheap.