Join Early Retirement Today

Frugal living: It never hurts to ask...
Old 05-12-2005, 06:26 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Frugal living: It never hurts to ask...

Most people would be amazed at what you can get (or money you can save) just by asking. Recent examples from my life:

1. Bank charged me a $7 maintenance fee because my balance went below the minimum for one day in the month. I called them up and asked them to waive the fee, and they did. All it takes is a phone call.

2. Moved to a new state and got a notice about changing my insurance policy. Called them up and said I could run out the current policy or get a new one now. I asked them how much a new one would be (same car, no tickets, no claims) and it's $320 cheaper per year! No brainer to switch on the spot.

3. Took the car into the shop for a gremlin in the transmission (under warranty). They asked if I needed any regular maintenance done while it was there. I said, it needs an oil change and tire rotation (it does) but would you consider doing it as a courtesy since this is the second time I've brought the car in for the transmission. No problemo, $50 saved.

As my parents often told me...the worst thing they can say is "no."
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Frugal living: It never hurts to ask...
Old 05-12-2005, 07:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan
Most people would be amazed at what you can get (or money you can save) just by asking. Recent examples from my life:

These three things are worth several lifetimes of cleaning plastic bags and picking up pennies.

Mikey
Old 05-12-2005, 08:00 PM   #3

To be fair, I also pick up pennies (found one today). I store them up until I can convert them to nickels or dimes using the change dish at work, then I put them in my car to use in at parking meters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
These three things are worth several lifetimes of cleaning plastic bags and picking up pennies.

Mikey
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:58 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I pick up all the change that I drop, and make nasty faces and "grrr" noises at anyone I find looking.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:02 AM   #5

This is beginning to sound more and more like the famous dryer sheet thread. . .

I take the grate off of sewer drain covers where there is a lot of foot traffic. I climb in and re-cover the drain. Then I spend hours waiting for pennies to roll down.

And I like it
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan

1. Bank charged me a $7 maintenance fee because my balance went below the minimum for one day in the month. I called them up and asked them to waive the fee, and they did. All it takes is a phone call.

2. Moved to a new state and got a notice about changing my insurance policy. Called them up and said I could run out the current policy or get a new one now. I asked them how much a new one would be (same car, no tickets, no claims) and it's $320 cheaper per year! No brainer to switch on the spot.

3. Took the car into the shop for a gremlin in the transmission (under warranty). They asked if I needed any regular maintenance done while it was there. I said, it needs an oil change and tire rotation (it does) but would you consider doing it as a courtesy since this is the second time I've brought the car in for the transmission. No problemo, $50 saved.

Now you're talking. I won't bore you with all the money I've saved by doing this, but it'a a pile. DW pulled off a good one last week.
We were looking for a davenport (used of course). Found one in a
resale shop. Comfy, clean, right color and marked $100. That is
an unbelievable price outside of a yard sale or flea market.
Anyway, some youngsters had just bought a huge loveseat and couldn't get it out the door. Within minutes DW came to their rescue, had the legs removed and the unit tipped on end. Just made it. Anyway, while
I am getting the truck DW says to the clerk "Could you do any better
on that price?" Clerk says, "Like what?" DW, "How about $80?"
Clerk, "For all your help, you can have it for $75!"

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 08:43 AM   #7

These stories all illustrate an important point: Knowing how and when to ask is important. If you give the person a reason to lower the price, they're much more likely to do it.

For example, if Soupxcan had just asked "Can you give me a free oil change?" he might have been turned down. But by asking "Since I've been in twice can you do the oil change as a courtesy?" it gives the service person a justification. You might say It gives them a way to reduce the price without losing face.

Old 05-13-2005, 11:04 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

SG - a better idea. Wait for someone carrying a purse to approach the manhole cover and spring out going 'balooga booga booga'. Good chance they'll drop the purse. You grab it and disappear down the manhole. Its practically foolproof. When she goes to the cops and tells them what happened, they'll have her locked in the looney bin.

"Yeah, this is the woman who thinks a guy jumped out of a manhole, stole her purse and disappeared back down the hole".
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
SG - a better idea.* Wait for someone carrying a purse to approach the manhole cover and spring out going 'balooga booga booga'.* Good chance they'll drop the purse.* You grab it and disappear down the manhole.* Its practically foolproof.* When she goes to the cops and tells them what happened, they'll have her locked in the looney bin.

"Yeah, this is the woman who thinks a guy jumped out of a manhole, stole her purse and disappeared back down the hole".
Good idea. I'll have to work on the "balooga booga booga" thing. It needs to come natural and role off my tounge.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:15 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

See, you'd have had a leg up if you'd followed my advice on your trip to DC by climbing the white house fence while alternatively ululating and screaming "death to america!". That ululating thing is a natural precursor to "balooga booga booga".
Old 05-13-2005, 05:03 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

For those on this thread who seem jaded by their negotiating success: NO.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:18 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

If I see a penny or 2 on the sidewalk, or if I drop a couple of cents.......I don't even think of picking them up.

Nickels, dimes and quarters, I do the stoop.

Saw a $10 bill on the sidewalk beside a parking meter and had an orgasm!

.......and the parking meter still had an hour remaining. BONUS!
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 05:22 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Sears sent me a badly dented fridge last week; got them to upgrade me to the next step up in the line for my troubles...saved $107. That one was delivered today with a very, very minor 3" long crease on the side near the bottom where its hidden by my counter. Asked for some $ back and got another $100 off.

I think my refrigerator debacle is now over...
Old 05-13-2005, 05:47 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Cool!

REW, 14 days to eR!
Old 05-13-2005, 06:25 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
So, did Sears offer you an extended warranty?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 08:33 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Eh, its 1 year on the unit and 5 on the sealed refrigeration parts. I've never ever had any problems with a refrigerator until they hit 20 years. The two repairmen that came out told me to buy a whirlpool, said they hardly ever have trouble and when they do whirlpool bends over backwards to make it right. They said to avoid GE and Maytag.

But yes, an extended warranty is available if I want one.

My next job is hiking the GE stove out of the kitchen and replacing it with a nice frigidaire glass top with convection oven I was pondering over last week. Until those two letters are 100% removed from my home, I wont rest well...
Old 05-13-2005, 10:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
See, you'd have had a leg up if you'd followed my advice on your trip to DC by climbing the white house fence while alternatively ululating and screaming "death to america!". That ululating thing is a natural precursor to "balooga booga booga".
Could this be a suicidal mission? See what almost happened to the plane that was 20 miles near the white house.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Eh, its 1 year on the unit and 5 on the sealed refrigeration parts. I've never ever had any problems with a refrigerator until they hit 20 years. The two repairmen that came out told me to buy a whirlpool, said they hardly ever have trouble and when they do whirlpool bends over backwards to make it right. They said to avoid GE and Maytag.

But yes, an extended warranty is available if I want one.

My next job is hiking the GE stove out of the kitchen and replacing it with a nice frigidaire glass top with convection oven I was pondering over last week. Until those two letters are 100% removed from my home, I wont rest well...
About 18 months ago we trashed a GE fridge, GE dishwasher and brand x range. All bought from Lowe's (Frigidaire) except DW had to pick her own DW. She liked the Kenmore. Interestingly the newer high capacity DWs put the motor in the rear and yield more space up front. DW didnt like that because the design is far less ergonomic...to much bending and lifting she says. Anyway the Kenmore as well as the Frigidaires are champs. BTW The filtered water feature is a home run. Our tap mounted Brita is outta here, along with GE Get Even.

PS I worry about glass top anything in the kitchen.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
About 18 months ago we trashed a GE fridge, GE dishwasher and brand x range. All bought from Lowe's (Frigidaire) except DW had to pick her own DW. She liked the Kenmore. Interestingly the newer high capacity DWs put the motor in the rear and yield more space up front. DW didnt like that because the design is far less ergonomic...to much bending and lifting she says. Anyway the Kenmore as well as the Frigidaires are champs.* BTW The filtered water feature is a home run. Our tap mounted Brita is outta here, along with GE* Get Even.

PS I worry about glass top anything in the kitchen.
Our fridge and microwave are both GE, bought used and cheap!
DW finally convinced me the double oven (Kenmore) had to go.
Sooooooooo I did what I always do, i.e. shopped resale and consignment
stores first. I probably would have bought something. In fact, I found
one place run my a woman and her Mom which had a huge inventory.
I think the ad said "Most Used Appliances you Ever Saw". I was impressed. However, DW opined that she deserved better and didn't
want someone else's dirt. She won me over, so I bought the cheapest new one I could find (after about 10 phone calls). They deliver it today.
Now, if it was only me, I would just cook in the charcoal grill and the
microwave, and sell that big old double oven for scrap

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 06:29 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

We bought a glass top stove from Sears with a convection oven. Got it real cheap because the bottom drawer wouldn't open. When the stove was delivered and installed, the delivery guy fixed the drawer.

Very happy with it.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote