Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Frugal or tight: Where's the line?
Old 07-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Frugal or tight: Where's the line?

Frugal or tight: Where's the line? - MSN Money
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
First, let's settle on definitions. What might seem perfectly normal to one "frugalite" (washing sandwich bags, say, or Dumpster diving) might seem beyond the pale to another.
Washing sandwich bags is in the same category as dumpster diving? OK...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To me frugal is when you use a sandwich bag twice. Tight is when you staple the used bag because the seams have torn.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
To me frugal is when you use a sandwich bag twice. Tight is when you staple the used bag because the seams have torn.

...sandwich bags!?! Anybody remember wax paper or plastic wrap? Guess that's too old school...
tarheeljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What if you use Tupperware instead of plastic bags? A box of sandwich bags will last us for years, we use them very rarely.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ditto on the Tupperware or Rubbermaid containers. I just wash them out and reuse them. I will reuse bags if I have just stored bread or something like that in them. Otherwise I toss them due to squeamishness about something bacterial lurking.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I say I'm frugal.
dh2b says I'm tight.*

I will repair things that really should be thrown away with my infamous tube of Marine Goop. I will repair something once or twice. When it fails again, out it goes.
I save all sorts of plastic containers for re-use in the garage. I re-use them regularly to avoid clutter and then recycle them.
"Use your plastic twice" is a favorite motto.
I use half a paper napkin at the table and half a tissue for wiping my eyes after eyedrops. He gets the other half.
I buy only items on sale inless it is a food item I need now, like milk or eggs.

* watch it, peanut gallery members at large
Old 07-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Sandwich bags be gettin' a bad rep!
Old 07-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sandwich bags be gettin' a bad rep!
Back when I was brown baggin my lunch, I was partial to these...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg antitheftsandwichbag.jpg (73.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

So that's how penicillin was discovered.....
Old 07-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

That's what you want the lunch thieves to think....
Old 07-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

the DW and I order one meal in restaurants and split the food.
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

My most frugal (okay cheap ) thing is I will not join Sam's club . I search for a one day pass and then I load up on all the Sam's club items I like . I do this a few times a year .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Washing sandwich bags is in the same category as dumpster diving? OK...
Hey, let's not impugn our dedicated dumpster divers. I resemble that remark.

I don't make the time to live completely freegan. But it's a nice skill to know if I need it.

I think frugality is just simple living-- a lifestyle that avoids waste. Extraordinary frugality, however, can be deprivation. Everyone understands how to avoid waste, but everyone also has a standard of living they're not willing to give up to achieve that level of avoiding waste. ER benefits from frugality, but it doesn't require extreme frugality. Except possibly for this guy.

Everyone has a line between frugality & deprivation that they choose not to cross. The difference is that frugality feels good and makes you enthusiastic about reaching your goals. It's a challenge, and when you're doing well then you feel like a winner. You might not even miss the materialistic lifestyle that you're doing without. Deprivation is always doing without for a higher priority, willingly or not. Frugality matches your values and usually frees up quite a bit of savings. You're living a life that you enjoy and you're making progress toward your goals-- it's easy to feel good about it. Deprivation, however, rarely matches your values and feels more like slavery than volunteering. You may be making great progress but it's definitely not easy and you will not feel good about it. Prolonged deprivation is extremely difficult to voluntarily sustain and it usually leads to unhappiness...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:08 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Maybe we should start a thread on what each of us specifically consider frugal vs tight. Has it been done (recently)?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:00 AM   #16

As for dumpster diving, many years ago, when I was newly married and living in a roach infested studio apartment in NYC, my husband and I used to take walks on the evenings the trash went out on the sidewalks for collection the next day. We picked up some nice things: clothes hangers, a suitcase, a kitchen table, a floor lamp, working manual typewriter. I think I am frugal but not cheap. I try to get the most bang for my buck but I also give a lot of things to friends and donate to the thrift stores. I gave the newly married daughter of a friend an oriental rug, some chairs and a lot of kitchen stuff that I no longer have room for since I have downsized into a smaller house. It is great to see those things in her home where she is making use of them. I hate to see waste in anything and feel good about things being used.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:04 AM   #17

Oh, and REWahoo, I LOVED your sandwich bags. Had a chuckle over them. Your sandwich would have been summarily pitched from our office kitchen fridge, name or no name on the item. Unless we knew about your penchant for bag artistry of course.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:15 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Frugal...Buying inexpensive toilet paper

Cheap...Recycling your toilet paper
Old 07-12-2009, 08:17 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

When you decide something isn't worth spending money on, you're frugal. When you don't spend money other people wish you'd spend, you're tight...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
When you decide something isn't worth spending money on, you're frugal. When you don't spend money other people wish you'd spend, you're tight...
Ding ding ding!! We have a winnah...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote