Join Early Retirement Today

"frugal" tip: magnets from yr. elec. toothbrush
Old 04-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"frugal" tip: magnets from yr. elec. toothbrush

A non-frugal thing I enjoy is my Sonicare toothbrush. You're supposed to change the heads a couple times/year. I'm annoyed they couldn't design it such that you throw out less plastic, etc. and change only the true brush head.. but anyway..

I realized it's easy to pry off the two tiny black Chiclet magnets and use them for whatever you use magnets for. They're Really Strong! Besides the fridge, I have used them to hang a full-sized wrench for changing the propane tank on our stove, inside the metal compartment door (so it's always at hand), and for hanging up a "puller-outer" widget that came with our toaster oven (see above).

Waste not, want not! (fingers crossed)
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #2

Woah good idea. We have thrown away quite a few replacements. Thanks!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I had a Sonicare and when it finally broke I went to replace it but was swayed by the Oral B rechargeable by Braun . It doesn't really feel different than my Sonicare and the price was $19.99.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Our kid's lusted after a Sonicare ever since her orthodontist "recommended" it.

Meanwhile I've been nursing a shorted-out Braun. It uses AA batteries but I've been cycling through a baggie of crusty decade-old NiCds from my bicycle-light days, recharging them on a clunky 1980s Eveready multi-purpose charger. Every few months the Braun stops running until I rinse it with alcohol. I'm just finishing a the last brush head of a package that spouse bought in Bangkok's MBK department store a few years back when the baht was only 37 to the dollar.

Maybe it's time to step up and treat myself...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #5

I had periodontal problems. Switched to sonic care problem solved. It is more expensive but it beats the alternative for me.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I had periodontal problems. Switched to sonic care problem solved. It is more expensive but it beats the alternative for me.
Was the prior practice a manual toothbrush, or another brand of electric like Oral B?

Ha
Old 04-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #7

It was manual. I never tried oral b. But this works and Im sticking with it.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #8

These toothbrushes are great products!

Why can't they come up with an electric car battery/recharge system as good & reliable as these seem to have have?
Old 04-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Meanwhile I've been nursing a shorted-out Braun.
Our Braun would come on by itself in the middle of the night.

But now, it often won't run, unless you put in on and off the charger a few times, allowing it to spew toothpaste around.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
These toothbrushes are great products!

Why can't they come up with an electric car battery/recharge system as good & reliable as these seem to have have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Our Braun would come on by itself in the middle of the night.

But now, it often won't run, unless you put in on and off the charger a few times...
That wouldn't be such a great feature for an electric car!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:54 AM   #11

The batteries only really last a few years until they can't hold a charge anymore. The last model I chucked I opened up first, and it looked like there were just regular NiCd-type rechargeables inside. I had to bust it to get it open..of course you're supposed to pay for a whole new gizmo instead of just buying new batteries at 1/10th or 1/20th the cost. And of course almost everyone just throws the whole object out in the trash when it's probably better not to have all that cadmium floating around.

I might invest in a soldering iron and some duct tape when the current one dies.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:50 AM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
...of course you're supposed to pay for a whole new gizmo instead of just buying new batteries at 1/10th or 1/20th the cost...
The Apple iPod business model...
Gsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:26 AM   #13

yeah.. still kicking myself over not buying that stock.. DAMN!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:44 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I might invest in a soldering iron and some duct tape when the current one dies.
That's what I did with my trimmer. Works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trimmer.jpg (174.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-15-2008, 02:50 PM   #15
Confused about dryer sheets

A sonicare toothbrush is worth its weight in gold. In my previous life I saw amazing results in patients that routinely used them daily.

For those of you that have a Sonicare you can run a quick experiment to demonstrate to yourself how effective they are. Brush your teeth with your old style hand operated toothbrush. Run your tongue over your teeth and remember how smooth they feel. Now use the Sonicare and again run your tongue over your teeth.

Didn't do such a good job with the manual toothbrush, did you?

The teeth are clean, but you still need to floss!
nuc dentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #16

Yes, but ...

Have you looked inside that Sonicare lately? The way it is designed it's easy for it to retain moisture and grow mold in there. Yuck. Talked to the dental hygienist about it and he says the top part (not the battery part) can be cleaned in the dishwasher.

Often I just take it apart at night so it can dry out.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I've gotten several years out of a Braun/Oral-B rechargeable (pair) of units. One trick, specific to the older Ni-Cad rechargeable batteries, is that you should periodically run them dead and then fully charge them. The absolute worst thing to do is keep it (or your cordless phone -- same technology) on the charger all the time, but what do most of us do? Devil's advocate says: Oh yeah? You've essentially done that for years, and the batteries still get weak over time. At least with the cordless, the answer (sadly) is buy a new one at Wal-mart, probably 1/2 the cost of just replacing the battery
Old 04-15-2008, 05:41 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Young: Discuss fast cars and women.

Old: Discuss toothbrushes and plaque.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

The one nice feature of the sonicaire is the automatic timer. You would be amazed at the number of people who spend less than two minutes brushing their teeth. The timer beeps every 30 seconds to tell you to switch quadrants.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Our kid's lusted after a Sonicare ever since her orthodontist "recommended" it.

Meanwhile I've been nursing a shorted-out Braun. It uses AA batteries but I've been cycling through a baggie of crusty decade-old NiCds from my bicycle-light days, recharging them on a clunky 1980s Eveready multi-purpose charger. Every few months the Braun stops running until I rinse it with alcohol. I'm just finishing a the last brush head of a package that spouse bought in Bangkok's MBK department store a few years back when the baht was only 37 to the dollar.

Maybe it's time to step up and treat myself...
In other news, a home in Hawaii burned to the ground today. Investigators suspect a fire started by an old battery leaking into a charger and being accelerated by alcohol which was inexplicably stored in a toothbrush handle.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote