Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets
LeatherneckPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Williamsport
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
Barber sheers with a #6 attachment. Just buzz the whole head myself and vacuum up the mess. Walmart jeans and tee's. [DW and DD's have accepted my disregard for fashion and compensate accordingly]
DAVE!! my brother of a different mother! Although I use two clippers, a #6 for the crown and a #2 for everything else. But wal-Mart only carries my waist size in short guy lengths. So I buy my jeans from Tractor Supply.
__________________

__________________
"Iron" Mike - Semper Fi
Jack of all trades; Master of none.
LeatherneckPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2007, 09:11 AM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets
LeatherneckPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Williamsport
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting short View Post
If it's yellow, it's mellow. If it's brown, flush it down.
I grew up with that one. Our water was supplied by a spring. In deep summer,to avoid running out of drinking water, if you were going to foul the yellow you had to go to the creek and fetch a 5 gal bucket of water first.
__________________

__________________
"Iron" Mike - Semper Fi
Jack of all trades; Master of none.
LeatherneckPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets
Twinkle Toes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkythewonderdog View Post
DW has been using a Wahl on me for years. No problems with the equipment.

It's actually kind of nice to have her do it. A bit of togetherness. Kind of like the monkey families preening each other on Discovery channel.
So maybe that's why DH still wants me to cut his hair. Nah, he's just too "frugal". I use Whal clippers on the dog, but never used them on DH. Just use a good pair of shears...from Sally's Beauty Supply.
__________________
Twinkle Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:46 AM   #84
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkythewonderdog View Post
DW has been using a Wahl on me for years. No problems with the equipment.

It's actually kind of nice to have her do it. A bit of togetherness. Kind of like the monkey families preening each other on Discovery channel.
__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:37 PM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 5,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
So maybe that's why DH still wants me to cut his hair. Nah, he's just too "frugal". I use Whal clippers on the dog, but never used them on DH. Just use a good pair of shears...from Sally's Beauty Supply.
I shop Sally's Beauty come gifty time 'cause it's nice to have things pre-labled. The spendy shears i got the gal from there (gold plated yet) are not as good as the cheapos i had the professional sharpen. And yes, there is a minkey-like joy in having your honey preen you.
__________________
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:10 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
packrat44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: near Canadian border and near Mexican border
Posts: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I'm in my mid 30's. I still drive the car I got when I was 15, and it was 10 years old then.
In 1962 I bought a 1936 Ford coupe and in 1972 I bought my first and only new car for myself, a Datsun 240Z. I still have both of them.
__________________
Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
packrat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
packrat44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: near Canadian border and near Mexican border
Posts: 1,142
At one time I thought I was frugal (my DW says I am cheap). However, after reading this thread, I realize I am actually a spendthrift.
__________________
Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
packrat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #88
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
I am not frugal. However I do cut my own hair about 75% the time, then hit fantastic sam's in between to get the lines evened out. Been doing that for years.

DW saves all the plastic containers (especially large yogurt containers) to use for my packed lunches. If I forget it at work, oh well.

I drew the line when our silverware drawer was overflowing with plastic forks missing 1, 2 and even 3 tines. Come on!

DW separates the recycled out for stuff she can redeem for $$, the rest goes in the blue bin. I'm always fighting the sprinkler timer war with her. I always know last months water bill was up because the lawn starts to brown.

Oh, on the gross side, we maximize bathroom use per flush, multiple "mellows".
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:48 PM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
At one time I thought I was frugal (my DW says I am cheap). However, after reading this thread, I realize I am actually a spendthrift.
ME TOO. ... my kids call me and DW cheap too... but you all make me look like a drunken sailor (my apologies to our navy contingent and naval vets).
I realize you all wear your frugality as a badge of pride and honor, but even you all have to admit ... it's a bit overboard.
... but as I always say, each to his (or her) own. As long you don't yell at me if I flush.
__________________
Life is GREAT!
megacorp-firee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:39 PM   #90
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Many things that I consider SOP, other people consider extreme.

Winter temp:60F, 50 at night

Summer temp 85-90 depending on humidity

Never use A/C at night

I don't have a dryer
-------------------------
OTOH: have a large purring cat on my lap (probably an unjustified expense)
__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:54 PM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Many things that I consider SOP, other people consider extreme.

Winter temp:60F, 50 at night

Summer temp 85-90 depending on humidity

Never use A/C at night

I don't have a dryer
-------------------------
OTOH: have a large purring cat on my lap (probably an unjustified expense)
I go 55 night, 57 day, but use a space heater for the room I'm in, and an electric mattress pad at night.

No A/C in my house in the mountains, there's only a few days where it'd be nice to have, and nights almost always cool down. In Texas, I'm usually the last holdout in the neighborhood for A/C, but 80-82 is as high as I'll go when it's on.

I bought a Wahl hair trimmer last night, $30 less DD's Target employee discount. Trimmed my hair tonight. It's a bit tougher than I thought to make sure you get it all, and it was a bit tricky around the ears. I'm sure I'll get better at it. I figure if I trim it every 3 weeks I probably won't miss the same spot twice and it won't get too bad, and I can hit the barber every few months if I think I need a pro's touch.
__________________
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #92
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
Quote:
Winter temp:60F, 50 at night
Can you really sit at a computer for hours at that temperature? I could in the past, but now I'm a cold-sissy. It's usually about 60 in the morning, but I surf the net in front of the wood stove until the room warms up. Otherwise my hands get super cold.

Note that our heating is free, 'cause I cut my own firewood.
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:08 AM   #93
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Can you really sit at a computer for hours at that temperature? I could in the past, but now I'm a cold-sissy. It's usually about 60 in the morning, but I surf the net in front of the wood stove until the room warms up. Otherwise my hands get super cold.

Note that our heating is free, 'cause I cut my own firewood.
50F is for when I'm in bed.

60F is okay for my hands. I've experimented with lowering it, but my hands and ears get cold.

There's a space heater in the bathroom and a cup warmer next to the computer.

I wonder if it would save money to turn down the thermostat (NG, hot water) and use an electric radiant heater for the computer alcove?

Anyone have a formula to plug in local utility numbers?
__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:26 AM   #94
Full time employment: Posting here.
DRiP Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Anyone "borrow" wifi?

I have some new neighbors and they rang my bell recently and asked if I would mind sharing the key to my wifi. They can see the signal but were mildly miffed that it was encrypted.

They paid cash for a 300K house and then did another 100K of upgrades - I guess this is how they saved up for those purchases?
My neighbors who I rarely see asked me the same thing -- then went away miffed when I told them I only used wired connections here at home, due to concerns over security with banking and such.

:confused:
__________________
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:53 AM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets
Culture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
50F is for when I'm in bed.

60F is okay for my hands. I've experimented with lowering it, but my hands and ears get cold.

There's a space heater in the bathroom and a cup warmer next to the computer.

I wonder if it would save money to turn down the thermostat (NG, hot water) and use an electric radiant heater for the computer alcove?

Anyone have a formula to plug in local utility numbers?
My father, who is the king of frugal, has a small room in his trailer house with a small window unit and space heater. This room contains his tv, computer, bookcases and recliner (that is all that fits) This is the only room he heats and cools unless he has company, which is rare. He pretty much stays in this room except when sleeping, cooking, or working outside.
__________________
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:55 AM   #96
Full time employment: Posting here.
DRiP Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
Barber sheers with a #6 attachment. Just buzz the whole head myself and vacuum up the mess. Walmart jeans and tee's. [DW and DD's have accepted my disregard for fashion and compensate accordingly]
My 'recipe':
1) #4 everywhere,
2) #3 nape of neck & around sides,
3) #2 base of neck, quick zip around the ears.
Total time = 3 minutes every month or two
Total cost = $26.00 for clipper kit 3 years ago, have at least three more years in them, < $5.00/yr).

Savings from my prior 20 years of habit of a cut a month at Supercuts or Crazy Ed's House of Locks ($12.00+3.00 tip = $15), (180/yr - 5/yr clippers) = $175/yr savings.

That's more than the earnings from a 6% $2,500 CD.
__________________
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #97
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
Any of you clipper users care to post a photo?
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #98
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRiP Guy View Post
My 'recipe':
1) #4 everywhere,
2) #3 nape of neck & around sides,
3) #2 base of neck, quick zip around the ears.
Total time = 3 minutes every month or two
Total cost = $26.00 for clipper kit 3 years ago, have at least three more years in them, < $5.00/yr).

Savings from my prior 20 years of habit of a cut a month at Supercuts or Crazy Ed's House of Locks ($12.00+3.00 tip = $15), (180/yr - 5/yr clippers) = $175/yr savings.

That's more than the earnings from a 6% $2,500 CD.
Same here, except #2 everywhere
__________________
learn, work, save, invest, fire
CyclingInvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:16 PM   #99
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Any of you clipper users care to post a photo?
__________________
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #100
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 5,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post

Ah. Reverse bowl cut.
__________________

__________________
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The art of frugality rw86347 FIRE and Money 55 04-28-2008 08:06 PM
Craig Named to Idaho Hall of Fame Wags Other topics 13 01-08-2008 06:03 PM
Craig Elected To Idaho Hall of Fame Danny Other topics 0 10-15-2007 01:12 AM
Don't think this will make the headline writer's Hall of Fame gindie Other topics 0 03-04-2007 11:23 PM
Top 10 Warning Signs You've Taken Frugality too Far........:) FinanceDude Other topics 14 02-28-2007 07:02 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:47 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.