Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Lifelong friends. Met in elementary school. As teenagers, hung out on the same Chicago street corners. God parents for each others' kids. Etc. As I said, sadly, we've put limits on how often we see them because, frankly, it's gone past getting on my nerves!
You should try some of his tactics on him and see if he gets the message.

Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #122
Moderator Emeritus
Have you tried talking to them about this? I know it can be uncomfortable, but if you resolve to be firm about it, it might be the best thing for your friendship. I had a friend - best man at my wedding - who was cheap, thieving cheap. One time we went to a pizza joint and the group all agreed to go in on a Pizza and a pitcher of beer. Not him, he said he would get his own lunch. He got a sub and a bottle of beer. Then we all sat down, and he promptly ate a good portion of the pizza, helped himself to the pitcher of beer, and only ate half his sub, packing the rest to take home. DW was fuming. I told her I would talk to him without the others around. I laid into him politely but frankly the next day. He was pretty defensive, and pretty mad. He tried every way to deny his actions, and I simply said it didn't matter what his intent was, how it appeared to everyone else was he was a skinflint cheapskate who would rather get over on $5 worth of food rather than respect his friends. After sulking for a week, he came around again and did a much better job of taking care of his share of the bill. Never really apologized, and still was pretty cheap, but at least we weren't covering his tip and subsidizing his meals.

laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:33 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Sorry no hall of fame frugrality from me, but I have a few example of my favorite frugal billionaire. Intel Co-Founder Gordon Moore is worth roughly 4 billion (Forbes #77 down considerable in recent years because of the multibillion dollar Betty and Gordon Moore Foundation) was famous for being frugal.
Frugality must have been in Intel's DNA. I remember when then-CEO Andy Grove came to a meeting with engineers at our SiliValley megacorp. He drove himself to the meeting and reportedly wasted about 15 minutes driving around the parking lots looking for a space to park. And he showed up in the cheesiest members-only type jacket I had ever seen. Maybe this is the nerd gene that leads so many engineers to retire early.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #124
Hetty Green -- American multi-millionaire at the end of the 19th century. She takes the cake.

Her frugality extended to family life. Her son Ned broke his leg as a child, but Hetty took him away from the hospital when she was recognized. She tried to treat him at home, but the leg contracted gangrene and had to be amputated he ended up with a cork prosthesis.

Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:20 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Yeah - but but - one of the joys of ER is to be selectively hinky:

Book the balconey suite(in season) on the Mexican Riveria Cruise and later cruise the neighborhood(in season of course) dressed in your Salvation Army(sidewalk sale) bib overalls and your 250,000 mile used pickup - with rusty passenger side fender.

Keep your core budget honked down and within compass(4% or 5%variable) overall - and you can get as funky as you wish - your relatives may pretend they don't know ya - but FIRE can't be fired/lose their job/layed off/etc.

heh heh heh

unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote