Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-05-2007, 10:51 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm in my mid 30's. I still drive the car I got when I was 15, and it was 10 years old then.
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:06 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here's one for y'all.

In the morning, when I take my hot shower, I plug the drain. Throughout the day, the heat from the water helps heat my house. At night, I go unplug the drain and let the cold water drain out. This probably costs me 10 seconds a day and saves me maybe 10 cents a year.

The surprising thing is that my 7 year old son suggested the idea independently.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:54 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I'm in my mid 30's. I still drive the car I got when I was 15, and it was 10 years old then.
What car make is it?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:55 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Here's one for y'all.

In the morning, when I take my hot shower, I plug the drain. Throughout the day, the heat from the water helps heat my house. At night, I go unplug the drain and let the cold water drain out. This probably costs me 10 seconds a day and saves me maybe 10 cents a year.

The surprising thing is that my 7 year old son suggested the idea independently.

2Cor521
Do you get any mold from this?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:33 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I gave five trees of firewood as a wedding present (their new house had a fireplace). At the reception gift table there was a small stick with a white bow around it and a card attached.
And two tickets to "Wrestle Mania"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:52 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

My mother "recycled" Halloween candy. Every year she took the candy that none of us would eat and saved it for next year's Halloween.

At Halloween she would have two baskets of candy. One basket had the good candy which was for the neighborhood kids that she knew. Everyone else got the recycled candy in the second basket.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Timing my bio-cycle so that I will need to use the toilet while at the office, in order to save on water and toilet paper from home.
camberiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
What car make is it?
1976 Chevy Monte Carlo.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:19 AM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I drove the same car for 18 years; I replaced it this summer.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought a pickup in November 1979. I am going camping in it this week. Hey, it is still a good truck!
limpid lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:20 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camberiu View Post
Timing my bio-cycle so that I will need to use the toilet while at the office, in order to save on water and toilet paper from home.
You buy toilet paper for home Wow! Verrrry extravagent!
Old 11-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #32

OK, my BS meter is a bit slow, but I hope (at least some of you) are joking.

... and SecondCor, why are you wasting perfectly good cold water ... down the drain? You should capture it in buckets and use it to flush you toliets...

... hey I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #33

I've long ago given up washing out ziplocs and deli containers. I figure I already have perfectly good tupperware and don't need any more, so why accumulate any more containers. It took me a decade to work through a jumbo pack of ziploc bags that caught my eye at a Costco back when it was called the Price Club.

The hardest challenge I'm now facing is throwing out some of my perfectly good old tupperware because I'm slowly replacing it with glass containers. But I still consider this frugal... there's no savings in complicating your life by carrying unnecessary possessions.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:01 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

You know, about the toilet paper thing...I read somewhere (maybe here) that Americans use twice to three times as many squares as other countries and that someone was working on an automatic dispenser that would put out just 4 squares in public bathrooms. That got me to thinking--boy, do I use a lot more than 4 squares! So I'm trying to cut back, except at work, where the TP is free!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:31 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
OK, my BS meter is a bit slow, but I hope (at least some of you) are joking.
... and SecondCor, why are you wasting perfectly good cold water ... down the drain? You should capture it in buckets and use it to flush you toliets...
Hey, we learned habits like that (and other disgusting practices) going through a Northern California drought in the 1980s. If you went over your minimal water allowance the local utility hammered you with extravagant-use rates.

Once you've learned a frugal habit, if it doesn't involve a lot of time & effort to maintain, then it's hard to let go of it.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:49 PM   #36

I lived next to a golf course growing up. So, when I needed a little cash I'd sell used golf balls I'd found to the golfers.

My shoes are older than most peoples cars (alright, possibly not most people on this board)

When my home stereo amp broke I decided not to fix it. How is this frugal? I bought a kit and built my next one so if it ever broke I would know how to fix it.

Ditto for my phone. I now own a working wallphone from 1910.

New furniture? Rarely. I buy (better yet-am given) old furniture and refurbish it myself.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:57 PM   #37
Administrator

Anyone "borrow" wifi?

I have some new neighbors and they rang my bell recently and asked if I would mind sharing the key to my wifi. They can see the signal but were mildly miffed that it was encrypted.

They paid cash for a 300K house and then did another 100K of upgrades - I guess this is how they saved up for those purchases?
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post

I have some new neighbors and they rang my bell recently and asked if I would mind sharing the key to my wifi.
If they'd pay half the monthly fee, let 'em. If they don't pay, change the key...
Old 11-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Anyone "borrow" wifi?

I have some new neighbors and they rang my bell recently and asked if I would mind sharing the key to my wifi. They can see the signal but were mildly miffed that it was encrypted.

They paid cash for a 300K house and then did another 100K of upgrades - I guess this is how they saved up for those purchases?
... and when they hack into your bank and brokerage accounts how will you feel?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:24 PM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
... and when they hack into your bank and brokerage accounts how will you feel?
Sooo NOT happening. Besides banking info, etc, they could probably log into ER and have a great time with the delete key.
I politely declined and offered to take in their paper when they traveled. I noticed they get the NY Times delivered.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote