Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-06-2007, 06:28 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If they'd pay half the monthly fee, let 'em. If they don't pay, change the key...
I'd say probably not on that. One, if they have any teenaged kids, there's a non-zero chance the RIAA could end up pestering you about any file-sharing they might do. Two, your agreement with your ISP may not allow connection sharing or reselling. Three, if they were "miffed" that you prevented them from stealing from you, they can F off
mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2007, 06:35 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Sooo NOT happening. Besides banking info, etc, they could probably log into ER and have a great time with the delete key.
I politely declined and offered to take in their paper when they traveled. I noticed they get the NY Times delivered.
Oh, you are GOOD!!! How do you politely decline something like that, anyway? I am imagining myself trying unsuccessfully to politely decline...

"No, you thieving weasels, buy your own effing internet access!! The reason I have a password is because I don't want to share, morons!"

Actually, I'd probably feed them a bundle of white lies, such as that I shut it down unpredictably at times and leave it off for weeks, and that I forgot what the password is, or that it isn't mine at all but probably the next neighbor over's. Then I'd feel guilty about lying.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:00 PM   #43
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Anyone "borrow" wifi?

I have some new neighbors and they rang my bell recently and asked if I would mind sharing the key to my wifi. They can see the signal but were mildly miffed that it was encrypted.

They paid cash for a 300K house and then did another 100K of upgrades - I guess this is how they saved up for those purchases?

I'd probably start laughing and say "You are soo funny ,what's next running a extension cord for my electricty . "
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Do you get any mold from this?
Nope, I have a large master bathroom with decent air circulation.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
OK, my BS meter is a bit slow, but I hope (at least some of you) are joking.

... and SecondCor, why are you wasting perfectly good cold water ... down the drain? You should capture it in buckets and use it to flush you toliets...

... hey I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.
That sounds like work ;-). Good idea, though.

Half the kind of stuff I do like this is just for idle entertainment anyway. It's completely irrational to do the "don't drain the tub" thing when I could earn enough in 15 minutes on my job to pay for the wasted heat for the next year. I try hard to be rational about it.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:54 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Oh, you are GOOD!!! How do you politely decline something like that, anyway? I am imagining myself trying unsuccessfully to politely decline...

"No, you thieving weasels, buy your own effing internet access!! The reason I have a password is because I don't want to share, morons!"

Actually, I'd probably feed them a bundle of white lies, such as that I shut it down unpredictably at times and leave it off for weeks, and that I forgot what the password is, or that it isn't mine at all but probably the next neighbor over's. Then I'd feel guilty about lying.
Miss Manners says to reply thusly:

"I'm so sorry, I couldn't possibly"

Or some such.

2Cor521
Old 11-06-2007, 11:57 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Barber sheers with a #6 attachment. Just buzz the whole head myself and vacuum up the mess. Walmart jeans and tee's. [DW and DD's have accepted my disregard for fashion and compensate accordingly]
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:06 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Worked for a multi-millionaire for about 5 years that stopped in the middle of the parking lot over a storm grate, reached down and grabbed a shoe lace that was laying on it, wrung out the water, and said "great find huh?" and put it in his pocket.

He was a former NFL guy, owned 250 rental houses in San Fran area, 50 commercial, and ran a thriving commercial flooring company.
Shabber2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
boy, do I use a lot more than 4 squares!
I think you should use this as your signature.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:20 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sooo NOT happening. Besides banking info, etc, they could probably log into ER and have a great time with the delete key.
I politely declined and offered to take in their paper when they traveled. I noticed they get the NY Times delivered.
Good for you! LOL!

Such an outrageous request! Think they are entitled to open wifi, do they?.....

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:24 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Well, I do remember the co-worker who would gleefully pull over and then run out into the street to pick up a square of St. Augustine grass some landscaping truck and dropped in transit.

Went to his house once. He proudly displayed his patchwork lawn of retrieved grass squares.

That's about the only thing I remember about him......

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I think you should use this as your signature.
Confusing, yet funny. Sure thing!

Remembered another one: friend of my parents would only fill up the gas tank halfway, as the weight of the gas would reduce his mileage. Irritated my dad to no end when they went on long trips together.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spouse and I have cut each other's hair for almost 30 years. We don't get invited to many social events, though. I'd like to think it's the weird hair and not something even more embarrassing.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:12 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

"Hey, we learned habits like that (and other disgusting practices) going through a Northern California drought in the 1980s. If you went over your minimal water allowance the local utility hammered you with extravagant-use rates.

Once you've learned a frugal habit, if it doesn't involve a lot of time & effort to maintain, then it's hard to let go of it."

Speaking of the Nor Cal drought and disgusting practices, the saying that I remember, and still live by, is:

If it's yellow, it's mellow.
If it's brown, flush it down.
Getting short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:13 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
I'd say probably not on that. One, if they have any teenaged kids, there's a non-zero chance the RIAA could end up pestering you about any file-sharing they might do. Two, your agreement with your ISP may not allow connection sharing or reselling. Three, if they were "miffed" that you prevented them from stealing from you, they can F off
Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
... and when they hack into your bank and brokerage accounts how will you feel?
Quote:
Anyone "borrow" wifi?

I have some new neighbors and they rang my bell recently and asked if I would mind sharing the key to my wifi. They can see the signal but were mildly miffed that it was encrypted.

They paid cash for a 300K house and then did another 100K of upgrades - I guess this is how they saved up for those purchases?
DH and I travel in a RV with sat. We like to camp in remote areas and are frequently asked by fellow campers for access to our wifi. We don't share. I'd like a really good response (funny, but polite) to give them. I like the "laugh and ask if they want an extension cord, too" but if they are bold enough to ask for the wifi, they would probably take the extension cord, too
Twinkle Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Depending on what they look like, tell them you are gov't agents and can't compromise national security for them to get a free signal!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:15 PM   #57
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting short View Post
"Hey, we learned habits like that (and other disgusting practices) going through a Northern California drought in the 1980s. If you went over your minimal water allowance the local utility hammered you with extravagant-use rates.

Once you've learned a frugal habit, if it doesn't involve a lot of time & effort to maintain, then it's hard to let go of it."

Speaking of the Nor Cal drought and disgusting practices, the saying that I remember, and still live by, is:

If it's yellow, it's mellow.
If it's brown, flush it down.
Absolutely.

And now that I'm not working, I don't shower every day.

Also save laundry rinse water for plants.

I grew up in houses with wells and septic tanks, and I retain the habits acquired.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm obviously a bad influence. It works well together with Khan's signature.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
Spouse and I have cut each other's hair for almost 30 years. We don't get invited to many social events, though. I'd like to think it's the weird hair and not something even more embarrassing.
Does anyone cut their own hair? I've been thinking about buying a trimmer and doing that. Nowadays I just have them put a #4 attachment on and they buzz it through my hair, or what I have left. Hardly seems worth the cost and time, especially if I have to wait. My hair is very fine and I don't have much on top so it seems like it'd be pretty easy to do myself. The only part I don't like doing is the back of my neck but I already have to do that between trims anyway.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

Remembered another one: friend of my parents would only fill up the gas tank halfway, as the weight of the gas would reduce his mileage. Irritated my dad to no end when they went on long trips together.

While I'm not motivated enough to do the calculus to actually check....I'm willing to bet that the extra gas taken to exit the highway and pull into the gas station, turn off/on the car, and accelerate back onto the highway could have easily more than offset the 'savings' by reducing the car's weight. Also, with a lower car weight, you have lower momentum.