Join Early Retirement Today

Frugality Hall Of Fame
Old 11-05-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Frugality Hall Of Fame

What is the most frugal (or cheap) thing you have either done yourself or known someone else to do?
I knew someone who would wash out those plastic sandwich bags and reuse them! I always wondered if the water and soap costs more than the bag - not to mention their time spent washing it and opening it up so it would air dry.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2007, 02:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
I knew someone who would wash out those plastic sandwich bags and reuse them!
Doesn't everybody?

Old 11-05-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Doesn't everybody?
I know I do!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you think that's cheap you must be a newcomer to the board !
Old 11-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #5

This is one hall that I'm not going to make it into.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #6

Who had the story about the peanut butter jar with the broken glass? That was a good one!

My own most frugal story is the year I convinced DH to chop up a tree that a neighbor who was clearing his lot had felled, split the wood, and give it away as Christmas gifts to my sister and brother along with a little basket full of pine cones and a bundle of matches.
They thought it was weird, DH thought it was exhausting, and I thought it was frugal!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I knew someone who would wash out those plastic sandwich bags and reuse them! I always wondered if the water and soap costs more than the bag
Sure, good idea, dry cleaning is way too expensive.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, I'm totally not going to win this, I'm not very frugal at all.

I once turned our Netflix down to 3 at a time instead of 5 because we weren't using it as much? I did turn it up again later when we kept running out..

hmmm

Oh, I bought around $80 in Lime/Lemon trees so we could grow our own limes & lemons. It later became apparent that since we never bought lemons, and only rarely limes (for Coronas & home made pico), it would take approximately 785 years before our money was made back. So I'm filing that purchase under "entertainment" rather than groceries.

Yeah, I'm totally losing this one.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Yeah what was with the dryer sheets?!?!

I was accused of recycling dryer sheets when I first joined this board, but I never used dryer sheets in my life!

Audrey
Old 11-05-2007, 02:31 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Who had the story about the peanut butter jar with the broken glass? That was a good one!

My own most frugal story is the year I convinced DH to chop up a tree that a neighbor who was clearing his lot had felled, split the wood, and give it away as Christmas gifts to my sister and brother along with a little basket full of pine cones and a bundle of matches.
They thought it was weird, DH thought it was exhausting, and I thought it was frugal!
I gave five trees of firewood as a wedding present (their new house had a fireplace). At the reception gift table there was a small stick with a white bow around it and a card attached.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:33 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yeah what was with the dryer sheets?!?!

I was accused of recycling dryer sheets when I first joined this board, but I never used dryer sheets in my life!

Audrey
I've lived in the same house for 29 years and I've never had a dryer here and I HATE the stench of dryer sheets at the laudromat.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmm..well, we never use the dryer, only hang dry stuff in the house (which is great for the humidity levels since we live in a dry climate), wear clothing till it shreds (except for work clothes, I am required to look professional), and I don't own a car since its much cheaper to take mass transit and then rent a car on the weekends when I need or want one. Course, I have a lot of other habits that aren't remotely frugal but we all have to have something we like to spend on.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I gave five trees of firewood as a wedding present (their new house had a fireplace). At the reception gift table there was a small stick with a white bow around it and a card attached.
Do you mean you cut, split, delivered and stacked a bunch of firewood at their house? That's actually a pretty nice gift!

Or do you mean (and I suspect you do ) that you pointed to some down trees on your property you needed to have removed and gave them permission to cut, split and take home the wood? That would be pretty frugal........
Old 11-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

One of my favorite frugality posts is from Justin:

Quote:
Never bought a watch. I found one on the ground 10 years ago. I ripped what was left of the band off and now I keep it in my pocket. I don't like things hanging on my wrist. On occasion when I have a borrowed cellphone with me, I will leave the watch at home since the cell phone has a clock on it.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Trombone Al tracked that one down:
Confused and scared

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Do you mean you cut, split, delivered and stacked a bunch of firewood at their house? That's actually a pretty nice gift!

Or do you mean (and I suspect you do ) that you pointed to some down trees on your property you needed to have removed and gave them permission to cut, split and take home the wood? That would be pretty frugal........
In between.

I paid to have some trees cut, I had the cutters leave the wood in firewood size. The newlyweds to be had mentioned that their new house would have a fireplace and they were looking for firewood. I talked to them and we agreed that a mutual friend would come pick it up.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:27 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Whenever I think of doing something frugal I ask myself it I could hurt myself in someway and then costing myself more money. It helps to keep the balance in.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Whenever I think of doing something frugal I ask myself it I could hurt myself in someway and then costing myself more money. It helps to keep the balance in.
Excellent point. I drywalled the ceiling in my basement myself. Ended up costing $4K in physical therapy (adhesive capsulitis), though covered by my insurance, at the time.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Trombone Al tracked that one down:
Confused and scared
scary .. I thought it was a joke...
he/she wins ... I am officially a spendthrift.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:21 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

One day we were canoeing at about the same time we were very focused on paying off the house. We stopped at this little island and it was full of beer cans. We picked them all up and threw them in the canoe, as we had no bags or anything. When we paddled back we redeemed them for the house fund. The best part was two late 40's people coming into the landing area with a canoe full of beer cans. Everyone was looking at us like we were nuts.

I do draw the line at expired food, food with glass shards, or doing anything that is not legal or ethical.