Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2008, 09:04 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Or you can buy a Nissan Versa with a CVT (continuously variable transmission) that has an infinite number of gears.
Has anybody driven these cars with the CVT? I have not and am not sure if it is the way I want to go....

But, they don't seem to have a gas mileage advantage over the Toyota or Honda....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Has anybody driven these cars with the CVT? I have not and am not sure if it is the way I want to go....

But, they don't seem to have a gas mileage advantage over the Toyota or Honda....
I've got a Murano with a CVT. You don't get the hesitation from gear changes, but the car slides into a lower ratio every time you touch the gas (some people don't like the noise from the extra engine revs when that happens).

I've got 30,000 miles and haven't had any mechanical problems.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

My brother says he's averaging 36 mpg with his.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All Priuses have CVT, and I think the Altima does too??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Thanks. Unfortunately, looks like it takes work
If you live in a reasonably temperate clime then you could also look at extending a diesel engine to also run straight vegetable oil (SVO). The trick is filtering it (engines don't like burnt french fry chunks) and, potentially, keeping it warm if it's cold enough to solidify. As I understand it, a diesel engine that's been converted to run on SVO will still handle diesel fuel just fine.

Also, while this is apocryphal, I've read of a permaculturist that extracts oil from hazelnuts and combines that with hard apple cider (courtesy of his orchard). The apple cider performs the role of the methoxide in separating the fuel without causing anything more than a hangover. It's on my list of things to research to see if there's any truth at all to the story. There was no mention of running on water in that story so it's a bit promising.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
All Priuses have CVT, and I think the Altima does too??
So does the Camry Hybrid (we have one), last time I looked the 3rd highest mileage production car sold in the USA...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #27

Yes, the Volt is a different type of hybrid. Problem is that for me, it is a second best solution. We are a two car family, so I will NEVER need to drive the car more than 200 miles (which is a range EV's are reaching now). So by 2010, I expect to purchase a pure EV. If GM has dusted off their EV1 by then, it may well be a GM. Right now I am betting on a Tesla White Star. Although I hear Nissan is working on an EV as well. And Th!nk is making one in Norway now.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Also, while this is apocryphal, I've read of a permaculturist that extracts oil from hazelnuts and combines that with hard apple cider (courtesy of his orchard). The apple cider performs the role of the methoxide in separating the fuel without causing anything more than a hangover. It's on my list of things to research to see if there's any truth at all to the story. There was no mention of running on water in that story so it's a bit promising.
Ain't no chemist, but I have fermented a wide variety of things and I am an investor in the methanol industry. Smells like BS to me. My understanding is that you really need methanol to make biodiesel, and in all the things I have fermented (and believe me, there were times when there was no money and alcohol gets you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no alcohol, if you get my drift) I have never ended up with any detectable amounts of methanol. After all, I haven't gone blind yet.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #29

Hazelnut oil..........Hummmmmmmm. At $72/gallon that better be some really good biodiesel.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
Hazelnut oil..........Hummmmmmmm. At $72/gallon that better be some really good biodiesel.
Oh yeah. See, you put a tablespoon in your bong and...

Nevermind.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-05-2008, 10:08 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
On his what?
Old 06-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #32

Quote:
On his what?
Nissan Versa

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:04 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

The Volkwagon Jetta TDI (diesel). Beats the Prius in certain situations for efficiency. If one considers the current state of hybrids... the Jetta might be a better more reliable choice. Even at a higher cost per gallon for diesel... the fuel cost is on par with the prius.

But, for some reason diesel has not taken off in the US.

This video runs about 5 minutes.

Here is the text.

Gas Sipper Smackdown: Which Small Car Has the Best Gas Mileage?
Old 06-06-2008, 05:38 AM   #34

I can get 40+ MPG on my Passat diesel on a long interstate drive. I consistently get 30+ MPG on my daily commute, suburban driving. Yes, diesel is more expensive but based on fuel cost per mile, it is still cheaper than 99.9% of the cars on the road. Plus you have proven diesel engine design that I would fully expect to go 300,000 miles without major rebuild. I don't like the idea of replacing a $2,500 battery pack on a hybrid after 8 years.

A full 50% of all high end automobiles sold in Europe are powered by diesel engines. I think the stigma of the 70s-80s GM diesel fiasco coupled with the historically cheap fuel prices has really soured US consumers on diesel autos. Plus the fact that diesel sells for a premium over gasoline in US while as it should be, diesel is cheaper than gasoline in Europe. We are getting screwed over here.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:53 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

[quote=chinaco;665881] the Jetta might be a better more reliable choice. [\quote]

Wow, you realy think a VW will be more reliable than a Toyota? Seems quite unlikely, given the data.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Wow, you realy think a VW will be more reliable than a Toyota? Seems quite unlikely, given the data.
Actually, VW diesels are some of the most reliable ENGINES out there. Of course, that comment doesn't take into account the transmission, electrical, body integrity, and other issues they have been battling............

Old 06-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Actually, VW diesels are some of the most reliable ENGINES out there. Of course, that comment doesn't take into account the transmission, electrical, body integrity, and other issues they have been battling............
Just like the legendary slant 6: great engine stuffed into abominable cars.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Just like the legendary slant 6: great engine stuffed into abominable cars.
Reminds me of the 80's Subarus....... DW had an 84 GL-10 in college. Impressive, with a digtial dash, full power, and a 5-speed manual. However, the car ate clutches, the digital dash went black twice, rattles everywhere......but the darn engine NEVER burned a drop of oil, and the guy we sold it to finally ruined it in a crash 4 years ago, with 357,000 miles on it...........

Old 06-06-2008, 09:11 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
I've got a Murano with a CVT.
Funny that the Murano is actually a "French design" (via Renault. For info concerning their "joint CVT") see:

Green Car Congress: New Nissan/Renault Fuel-Efficient Gasoline Engines and CVT

BTW, as a disclaimer, I used to work for a former subsudiary of Renault Car, so I laugh when folks talk about how "French products" are so bad (yes they were, in the distant past) but how good cars from Japan are ...

- Ron
Old 06-06-2008, 09:15 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
Funny that the Murano is actually a "French design" (via Renault. For info concerning their "joint CVT") see:

Green Car Congress: New Nissan/Renault Fuel-Efficient Gasoline Engines and CVT

BTW, as a disclaimer, I used to work for a former subsudiary of Renault Car, so I laugh when folks talk about how "French products" are so bad (yes they were, in the distant past) but how good cars from Japan are ...

- Ron
What about Citroen and Peugeot