Join Early Retirement Today

fun watching my account
Old 06-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

fun watching my account

Just a few days ago I was a "multi" millionaire. But yesterday I became just a millionaire.

Did any of you spend anytime watching this milestone? And how long was it before you became bored because it doesn't really mean a damn thing??

Anyway, I admit it was excited for a moment.

Now off to the tread mill to do something that actually means something. . .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I watch my total balance across all accounts daily, just because I can. I was approaching "multi" millionaire status when the market crashed in 2008. At the bottom, I was no longer even a millionaire for a couple of months. That was frightening! But I stayed the course and eventually made it across the multi millionaire mark. Useful knowledge for entertainment purposes only!

Old 06-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberryjoe View Post
I watch my total balance across all accounts daily, just because I can. I was approaching "multi" millionaire status when the market crashed in 2008. At the bottom, I was no longer even a millionaire for a couple of months. That was frightening! But I stayed the course and eventually made it across the multi millionaire mark. Useful knowledge for entertainment purposes only!
+1

What a horrible year that was! From 1.7M to 800K and on top of that I had lost my job in Dec 2008. I was 44 and thought that I was finished. No one was hiring and almost all the recruiters commented that I made too much money even though it had taken me 22 years to reach where I was back then. I took a 25% pay cut and took the job way below my previous role after sitting home for three months…..and things turned around quickly and found the job matching my previous salary in just three weeks. Roll forward five years and I'm on track to RE and my current NW is almost 2.8M excluding house and Kids' 529.
I check my account everyday..It just feels great to be back from dead.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire2020 View Post
+1

What a horrible year that was! From 1.7M to 800K and on top of that I had lost my job in Dec 2008. I was 44 and thought that I was finished. No one was hiring and almost all the recruiters commented that I made too much money even though it had taken me 22 years to reach where I was back then. I took a 25% pay cut and took the job way below my previous role after sitting home for three months…..and things turned around quickly and found the job matching my previous salary in just three weeks. Roll forward five years and I'm on track to RE and my current NW is almost 2.8M excluding house and Kids' 529.

Your comment made me laugh, 2020..... I will be dead before I get to 800k!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
800K in Dec 2008 ........ almost 2.8M
That's an annualized return of 26% -- wow!!
which is much better than the 17.704% annualized S&P 500 Return (Dividends Reinvested).
Old 06-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Your comment made me laugh, 2020..... I will be dead before I get to 800k!
LOL…My expenses are very high - three growing kids.

Spanky….Not all in returns. I wish. Add an annual contribution of about 60K(401K/Roth IRA and cash deposit into Brokerage Account)…All making up that 2.8M mark.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
LOL…My expenses are very high - three growing kids.

Spanky….Not all in returns. I wish. Add an annual contribution of about 60K(401K/Roth IRA and cash deposit into Brokerage Account)…All making up that 2.8M mark.
But still, that's only about $350K added. Very impressive to get to $2.8M
Old 06-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
+1

I went from $1.7M to 980K in 4 months. I was 50, and sullenly retargeted my ER plans from 55 to 58 or even later. Miraculously I was still able to ER at 55.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

U n me both, Mul.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Did any of you spend anytime watching this milestone?
I've been pretty good about not looking at my accounts unless I need to take some kind of action (rebalance, plan a W/D). I do not know when I was first worth 1M$ or 2M$. I must admit that at times I have been surprised what the bottom line is on our portfolio.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
U n me both, Mul.

Hopefully you got a decent pension like I have or are very good with your money Ed! I enjoy reading about the forum posters able to post their financial achievements. Considering I didn't become very "smart" with my money until my later years, I am glad the pension makes up for my stupidity. The way I see it, I could have made high dollars my whole life and still not have anything to show for it. Self control, discipline, investment prowess are still needed to be successful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
+1

Very impressive recovery!
Old 06-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #13

I thought that Vanguard would revoke my Flagship status, just as I retired, but stayed the course and doubled my money.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:29 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I started tracking our net worth daily in September 2008. We started at just over 1mill and bottomed out at 964k on March 9, 2009. 5+ years down the road and we're doing much, much better -- not going to say how much, exactly, as you all would wonder why we're still working. Main answer is that over 60% of our net worth is in our apartment, which has more than tripled in value since we bought it in spring 2009. Other investments have also done well, though.

For me the exercise of daily networth tracking has made me confident that we will be able to weather any future economic downturn without panic selling. That was actually why I started it -- I wanted to document for myself that things would indeed turn around and that we would be better off int he long run if we just "stayed the course". I actually threw some big chunks of cash into the kids college accounts during that period, which also turned out great.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:31 PM   #15

It was not much fun watching my own brokerage account and my 401k tank throughout 2008. At least my company stock kept rising through most of 2008 which offset much of the 401k's losses.

But when I cashed out the company stock while it was still nice and high, I was able to buy thousands of shares of my bond fund at bargain basement prices, and when those shares appreciated in value my portfolio grew again, not only to where it was before but a lot more! That was fun.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I get $400/mo pension, Mul.

Most of our cash flow will be from SS. We are saving like mad with this overseas assignment, which will help a lot, but DW wants to go home soon. The pay-off from the Roths will come later, after 70.5. I am happy with our investments, but I never saved enough.

My message to our kids is, if you aren't saving 15%, you are spending too much.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:26 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

If you get to the multi-millionaire category, are fully invested, and are looking at daily balances - the daily swings can be alternatively exhilarating or terrifying.

If you can't take the heat of up $100,000 or down $100,000 - either decrease the equity allocation or stop watching your balances.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:34 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfooted View Post
If you get to the multi-millionaire category, are fully invested, and are looking at daily balances - the daily swings can be alternatively exhilarating or terrifying.

If you can't take the heat of up $100,000 or down $100,000 - either decrease the equity allocation or stop watching your balances.
Ha! Try being loaded up in company stock.

The portfolio goes up 5x annual expenses one day.
It goes down 5x annual expenses on another day.

We consider it monopoly money until I can divest and diversify.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:42 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberryjoe View Post
+1 Lost 35% in value from 4Q07 to 1Q09. Scary times. Hope we never see that again.

But... more than doubled from 1Q09 to now... whxx!!!
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I have a spreadsheet that takes my situation through the various markets of the past. Am reminded that even with a balanced portfolio and moderately good market timing, I can loose 20% (with spending included) from my high water mark.

I record the low and high water markets fairly regularly on my 1 page summary spreadsheet. The sheet shows what the $ figure would be with a 20% haircut. Ouch. Somehow seeing that dollar reduction figure from the high water mark is more sobering then just thinking a 20% decline from here.

Still DW likes to hear about those high water marks.
Unfortunately, will never be in the deca-millionaire category.