Fund investments we'd like to forget!

gindie

Full time employment: Posting here.
OK, I'll fess up with 3 dogs I'd like to forget. They were great funds at one time, just not while I was holding them!

Berger 100 - Old man Berger was a great investor, he retired and handed over the reigns to a guy named Rod Linafelter (whom had been working under him for several years). The fund immediately went into the toilet and the whole firm got sucked up by somebody.

Crabbe Huson Special - Jim Crabbe was riding high, even was featured on Louis Rukeyser and Kiplingers. The guy talked a great game, but boy did he fall!

PBHG Growth - spectacular failure, plus got caught up in the fund scandal.

there are several (or more than several) that i have successfully forgotten ... until you mentioned two of then :'(

Has this board ever tried a monthly stock picking content? I was thinking the other day that it might be a fun thing to try. Maybe we could discover who really had some talent on this board...

I had Magellan in my 401k account when Peter was at the top of his game...I moved the dough out and put it into other funds that underperformed it....by quite a bit....

macdaddy said:
Has this board ever tried a monthly stock picking content? I was thinking the other day that it might be a fun thing to try. Maybe we could discover who really had some talent on this board...

My bet's on brewer.....he reads more red herrings than anyone I know............... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I like this game:

Strong Discovery

Stein Roe Special Fund

I guess I should be happy that in both cases I at least got my inflation devalued principle back when I cashed out. Of course, they kept it for 6 years first :D.

macdaddy said:

It would probably be pretty boring. You'd get a lot of "total market index fund" guesses or "Vanguard Lifestrategy Moderate Growth" or "Pssst Wellesley". :D

macdaddy said:

Monthly? You've got to be kidding. Get out the darts and the WSJ stock charts...

Back in the 80s I invested in the John Hancock Bond fund. It wasn't a bad fund, as bond funds go, but I had it in my taxable account and had to pay taxes each year on all of the dividends that it pumped out. I had no idea about proper AA nor tax efficiency of investing at the time (obviously).

One good thing that came from this investment is that I finally realized on my own that all of those dividends were not really helping me because all that I was doing was reinvesting them and generating even more taxable dividends.

I eventually cashed in the fund and paid off my mortgage with most of the proceeds. With what was left over, I invested in the Vanguard Total Stock Market fund. I have been a Vanguard fan ever since.

I'd like to forget all the money I paid in fees with Oppenheimer and other companies before I found this forum. I wasn't paying attention but you guys woke me up.

MITTX................ :p :p

Where the value managers bought a Cigarette boat to practice "style drift"

It wasn't a fund, but a single issue. In fact it was a REIT, back in the go go years of the 80's.

Consolidated Capital. We owned it in the mid 20's, before it was de-listed and moved to the pink sheets. It paid one heck of a dividend all the way down, that is until they stopped that too! Fortunately we bailed, but still it was an expensive learning experience.

Billy,
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

i never owned it but fidelity aggressive growth was a real stinker

my wife owned alliance bernstein global technology. phew!

mathjak107 said:
i never owned it but fidelity aggressive growth was a real stinker

please don't remind me about that one--fortunately, I bailed on it fairly quickly!

Several of the Oak funds: Black Oak, White Oak, Red Oak; high flying in the late 90's, then dropped like rocks (acorns?). :eek:

Back
Top Bottom