Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Future of stock market
Old 07-08-2005, 04:57 PM   #21

I know the future and I'm not selling.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2005, 11:02 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Check out this trend.

Old 07-08-2005, 11:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Check out this trend.

That has got to be the funniest curve fit I've seen in a long time. What is it, and where did you find it? Somebody thinks they can do a fourier analysis of the log of the S&P500 or something?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:11 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Its kinda making me horny... :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:38 PM   #25

I got the graph from http://www.ess.ucla.edu/faculty/sorn...asp#prediction

Professor Sornette, Geophysics UCLA

the graph was based on mathematical formula (second-order Landau formula).
Old 07-08-2005, 11:50 PM   #26

Quote:
I scanned their paper.* *Executive summary: "we tried something like this before, and it was a dismal failure, so we're trying something different this year, and we'll see how it goes."* * The paper was written last month, so they are simply fitting an existing curve and there has been no predictive power demonstrated here.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
Its kinda making me horny... :P
Well it's too late. You can't see my snake now.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:26 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

No, no, no! There will be no bull market for another 3-4 years until I have accumulated enough in my 401ks and IRAs, then the market will double, and that's an order!
Old 07-09-2005, 07:17 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Heh, heh, heh

Certain old pharts(not naming any) might see the making of a 'head and shoulders formation' - sans any number crunching and reading the tea leaves of course.

Reading too many of the wrong kind of investment books as a youth - can cause things like that to show up in old age.

heh, heh, heh. - candlesticks anyone
Old 07-09-2005, 11:51 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by - SG
Well it's too late. You can't see my snake now.
As usual, we barely get through a day without someone talking about my butt or telling me about their snake.

:P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Check out this trend.

I see higher highs and higher lows and that's a good thing 8)
Old 07-09-2005, 05:19 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Heh, heh, heh

Certain old pharts(not naming any) might see the making of a 'head and shoulders formation' - sans any number crunching and reading the tea leaves of course.

Reading too many of the wrong kind of investment books as a youth - can cause things like that to show up in old age.

heh, heh, heh. - candlesticks anyone
Unclemic or others,

Please explain the "head and shoulders formation" expression. I've seen it before but I can't remember what it means.

Thanks

LL
Old 07-09-2005, 07:33 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Good overview of whether or not the market is over or undervalued. Bottom line...no one really knows.

REW

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ge/wall___main

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 10:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL
Please explain the "head and shoulders formation" expression.* I've seen it before but I can't remember what it means.
It's a Technical Analysis term. Those guys stare at charts all day and look for chart formations that are supposed to be predictive of future prices.

http://www.incrediblecharts.com/tech..._shoulders.htm
Old 07-10-2005, 08:29 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Wab,

Thanks for the link and explanation. I took a look at the site and am amazed at all the info there. I think the reason I am a "buy and hold" investor is out of default. I could never get my head around all the stuff.

LL
Old 07-10-2005, 03:55 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

LL,

You don't need to, more of those "super smart" guys lose money than make money. All that technical jargon is just noise. I bounced around a hundred boards until I found this one, by far the smartest group of investors.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:33 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: This time it's REALLY different. No, really!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
BTW, as of today we're 97.5% equities (minus whatever Tweedy, Browne Global Value has in cash) and we're thinking of picking up another percent or two of individual stocks.* I don't really care where the market goes if we can continue to pick up investments at value prices.* So under those criteria we need the market to drop by at least 40%...
Can I ask Nords, what were you thinking of buying? Also, what funds would you get now that Tweedy Browne is closed?
Old 07-11-2005, 02:01 PM   #38

You can compare those technical analysts to people who analyze lottery numbers to figure out which ones to choose.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL
Wab,

Thanks for the link and explanation. I took a look at the site and am amazed at all the info there. I think the reason I am a "buy and hold" investor is out of default. I could never get my head around all the stuff.

LL
I think the theory is that a lot of stocks go up and down on rumors and other things that aren't published in news stories or where the stories come out after the fact. I think with technical analysis people try to guess the pros who have access to more info by looking at historic trends. The average joe can't do his own channel checks.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:20 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Re: This time it's REALLY different. No, really!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S.
Can I ask Nords, what were you thinking of buying?
I research anything that Brewer is buying, and I've learned that I have to be quick about it, too! I'm still watching MOVI, DLX, & PLMD.

Spouse & I hold some Tate & Lyle PLC ADRs (TATYY, ~1%) and we may add more as they strengthen their Splenda sweetener market. Otherwise the retirement account is Berkshire Hathaway (30%), Tweedy (35%), a small-cap value ETF (IJS, 20%), her military TSP small-cap stock index (~1%), and a DOW dividend ETF (DVY, 10%).

The rest of my stocks are in my personal account. I'm still infatuated with investing and I lack discipline but I'm slowly groping toward a style I can execute without perpetually wondering "What if...?" (And without blowing up the retirement portfolio.) Two of my favorite books are Gary Smith's "How I Trade For a Living" and Nicolas Darvas' "How I Made $2M in the Stock Market", but what I really need to follow is Marcel Link's "High Probability Trading" advice on limiting losses. I know enough about the first two books to realize that I won't live Gary's life and that Darvas' chart-reading might not work with today's volatility (but I'm not entirely quit of Darvas).

Unfortunately my investing style is schizophrenically between Peter Lynch & Warren Buffett. I like every stock I see but I'm too cheap to buy most of them. I tend to pick up tickers randomly from my daily reading instead of screening for small-cap value. I also lack daily dedication so I should stay with liquid stocks for sell-stops to properly execute. I need to settle on the ultimate screening criteria, run the data once or twice a month, and stop randomly pecking around.

Having said that all that I've bought Nortel (NT), Sun (SUNW), & Overstock.com (OSTK) as turnarounds and I'm afraid that they're still attractively priced. I'm still down on all three. I've bought Dolby (DLB) & Cascade Microtech (CSCD) after their IPOs and added on the dips. No profit there yet. I've bought Las Vegas Sands (LVS) and I'm considering more. I'm still watching Given Imaging (GIVN) and I'll buy CostCo (COST) again if it drops below $40.

My personal portfolio's made this year's money from shorting Greenfield Online (SRVY) and Build-A-Bear Workshop (BBW). I'm watching Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF) and Herbalife (HLF) for my next shorts. I've also been watching Ampex (AMPX) but I can't make up my mind whether to buy it or short it.

Our kid bought Scholastic (SCHL) two years ago at $30. Next week's release of the sixth Harry Potter book may boost the stock over $40. So clearly I have something to learn from her example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S.
Also, what funds would you get now that Tweedy Browne is closed?
We're in the distribution phase of our lives, we don't DCA any more, and we've been moving out of mutual funds. TBGVX is our last mutual fund because we started buying in 1996 and about half our holdings are cap gains. We've been selling Tweedy every year but so far it's gaining faster than we're selling and I guess it's a good thing that they're closed.

I've been very happy with the S&P600/Barra Small-cap Value ETF (IJS) and pleasantly surprised by DVY. They're both keepers and we'd be happy to let them take over the asset allocation. If we were going to buy other international funds then I'd buy Third Avenue (which I believe is closed) or the ETF EFA.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote