Join Early Retirement Today

FYI - New Quicken for the Mac released and vote for new features
Old 08-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

FYI - New Quicken for the Mac released and vote for new features

Intuit finally released a new version and wants everyone to vote on what feature they want added next. I am voting for the "Retirement Planner" assuming it is their Lifetime planner.

QuickenŽ 2015 for Mac: Comparison Chart

Sorry if this is a repost, my other one disappeared.
RBDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm voting for supporting standard OFX downloads from banks, without expiring after a few years.

Oh, they don't list that as a choice? Imagine my surprise.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

I would love to be able to delete my Windows virtual machine and just use the Mac version.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
RBDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Still no bill pay? QFM had that feature back in 2007, so here we are 8 years later with a 50% price increase for a program with LESS real world utility
I've been using older version of QFM hoping Intuit would get its act together. After years of wait, QFM 2015 is a HUGE disappointment. Makes the switch to Moneydance a no brainer (1/3rd cheaper with more functionality).
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It still doesn't seem to be a good replacement for the windows version.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #6

Cast one vote for retirement planner and another for investment allocation view.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:15 AM   #7

Former Quicken user, but I switched to Moneydance in 2011 (I'm a Mac guy, but it runs on anything) and it has met my needs very well indeed. I'm quite happy with it.

On a related note, iBank (a Mac financial program) has a new version and I'd heard good things about it, so I've been evaluating it for the last week or so. I'm impressed by how good a job they have done (it used to be pretty weak).
However, I still prefer Moneydance.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Intuit doesn't get it
Old 08-23-2014, 06:13 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Intuit doesn't get it

Why in the world doesn't Intuit just port Quicken for Windows to the Mac. In today's world it's amazing that a company like Intuit just doesn't get it.
ndlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndlex View Post
Why in the world doesn't Intuit just port Quicken for Windows to the Mac. In today's world it's amazing that a company like Intuit just doesn't get it.

+1

When so many companies can put out identical products for mac and windows I don't understand how intuit can mess this up so badly.

photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Intuit had a great Mac product in the 80s and 90s and did very well. Then sometime early 2000s Intuit stopped their Mac development. It's been a painful process for them ever since.

The only good thing is Mac users haven't been forced to pay for upgrades to keep downloading bank data.

Since this new version isn't fully featured, I'll keep running my old version which currently works just fine.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:26 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quicken 2007 for Mac still has more features and, because it's not three releases old, the downloading still works.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Former Quicken user, but I switched to Moneydance in 2011 (I'm a Mac guy, but it runs on anything) and it has met my needs very well indeed. I'm quite happy with it.

On a related note, iBank (a Mac financial program) has a new version and I'd heard good things about it, so I've been evaluating it for the last week or so. I'm impressed by how good a job they have done (it used to be pretty weak).
I've heard so much negative comments on Quicken, especially the Mac version, I would definitely consider these, or an open source alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndlex View Post

And the worst part is, the Intuit CEO, Bill Cambell, was on the BOD of Apple!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

You can run the Windows version of Quicken on a Mac using Boot Camp. But, then you have the extra expense of buying a copy of Windows. And, when running Windows, the computer is now vulnerable to many of the Windows viruses, etc. Still safe computing habits should negate that risk.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #14

Quote:

I've been using Moneydance since the beginning of 2013 and I'm very happy with it. I know they released a new version, but I haven't upgraded and I'm not sure I will. Upgrading was always a pain with Quicken. Maybe Moneydance is better with upgrades, but I'm not sure I want to find out.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
I've been using Moneydance since the beginning of 2013 and I'm very happy with it. I know they released a new version, but I haven't upgraded and I'm not sure I will. Upgrading was always a pain with Quicken. Maybe Moneydance is better with upgrades, but I'm not sure I want to find out.
IMHO, the last upgrade was relatively minor. Still, it was trouble-free.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #16

Quote:

I've used iBank ever since buying my last Mac. There's been several upgrades over the years. I only use it for budgeting and recording my accounts ( no direct links to my bank). I'm very happy with iBank.

happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Just got an email from Intuit for 50% off for Quicken for Mac until the end of the year.

Still not biting. For my purposes, Quicken Essentials is fine. I use it to aggregate all my savings accounts to get a bottom line number, which isn't accurate because for some reason, Quicken wants to add money to my bank savings balance.

But it's a good approximation and useful for monthly tracking.

I use other tools so no big push to upgrade but in case others were considering it. Though it says email so maybe it's not widely available?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:44 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

That would be the 2015 version. It is not nearly as functional as the 2007 version. I tried - nowhere close!
Old 12-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm another that had Quicken 2007. Got tired of waiting for updates that would allow downloading of credit card accounts......those worked when I first got Q'07 but the product didn't stay current with web site changes and neither Quicken nor the banks would fix the issue. I changed to Moneydance a couple years ago and haven't looked back. Great for basic download of accounts, online bill paying and your typical budgeting reports. I don't use it to track investments so cannot comment on that part.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #20

I use Moneydance for everything.
As to investments, I can just say it works, mostly. There are a few minor difficulties (for example you have to use a somewhat awkward workaround for stock splits, etc.), but on the whole it's good enough for me. And it's very stable.