Join Early Retirement Today
FYI on 13 yr rtns on Indexes and AMBF's
Old 05-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
FYI on 13 yr rtns on Indexes and AMBF's

This is Just some Information for people who are like myself > "The Real Lazy Inwestor"
and although there are Pro's and Con's to everykind of Investing?
here is just what has worked for me since 96'...

Just using Historic/PastPerformance .Which May Not project the future, but It Has IMPROVED MY ODDS !
and I see no reason to revert back to using Index Funds...
Using M* New Beta Chart @ M* Chart Beta Fund Chart & Set to Maximum
Using the same Max period compared to OAKBX..
Equals to yrs: 96'-2009 = 13 yrs And Total values per a $10k Cost Basis Invested.
> Note: Of course, always Recheck Results shown before using them for your own Research & Handicapping
> however, I feel using 2008's Rtns for both categories is Not as Accurate Going fwd., but using 96-2007 rtns will
be more Attuned to future performance of both types of Investment types in the next 13 yr. period... At least I hope so..
> My AMBF's are a Mix of Aggressive and Moderate types..for while working
>I Added Conservative one's In My Retirement ( HSTRX) since it went IPO in 03'.

OAKBX Oakmark Equity & Income I $36,588.64 = +265%= 20.3%
FPAC-FPA Crescent: 30,768.26 = 207% =15.9%
PRPFX-Permanent Portfolio: 24,409.69 =144%=11.07%
PRWCX-T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation: 28,529.63 = 185%=14.2%
4 Fund Avearge..................$30,007 = +200%= +15.38%
09' Ave. Mix = 55/45

Discloseur: For my Own Retirement Portfolio ( RP ) since Retiring I added additional Bond Funds.
And Own different Types of AMBF's & Bond Funds of Aggressive, Moderate and Conservative
Since I acquired about 30% More $ than Needed for my Retirement needs, I can afford to

take on alittle more Risk.. and may not be best for those that Do not have that extra $ cushion..

INDEX'S for same period
VTSMX Total Stock Market index $17,112 = 71% = 5.46%

VBMFX Vanguard Total Bond Market Index: 21,312.21 = +113% = 8.7%

Ave same Mix @ 55/45 =......................$19,000 = 90% = 6.92%

80/20 = $17,940
70/30 = 18,360
60/40 = 18,780
50/50 = 19,200
40/60 = 19,620
30/70 = 20,040

AMBF's Vanguard Index
60/40 VWELX = $23,713
40/60 VWINX = 23,288

AMBF's @ $30,000 vs:
VWINX's $23,288 = ( - $6,712 ) = (22%)
Increase Amt. & % req'd to be added to the $10k Cost Basis to do same?
= + $3,000 = +30%..
Thus If you can? Just add +30% to your Savings Plan, put it in this Kind of AMBF-Index
Fund and forget about having to use other AMBF's and always needing to Replace them.

AMF Bond Funds: FYI..
*EMDB's ( Emerging Market Debt Bond)
> Note: In 2007 I sold my LSBRX and in 09' Added to my FNMIX and I doubt I will rtn
to using anyother Global/Int'l bond fund for the foreseeable future..
FNMIX Fidelity New markets Income $43, 180 = 331% = 25.46%
TGEIX TCW..................................... 37,701

Footnote on Using Global Bond Funds Vs *EMDB's
EMDB's 97-09'
FNMIX = $30,775
LSBRX = 21,898
Look up your Global Bond Fund Choice for the same period to compare to the EMDB fund.
* Can also use PowerShares Emerging Markets Sovereign Debt (PCY)

Don't need More funds, just utilize Your Current % Allocation?
> If you already have a % Allocation set up, you may not need to change it..!
> By using the Reverse Method of my Portfolio % Mixes in Bull and Bear Markets
has Increased my Rtns. by an ave of +2.6% apy for past 13 yrs
> In Addition to watching What my AMBF Mgrs are doing, I also use the 200 DMA
to tell me when start making the moves, But In 25% - DCA Increments..
> But, I don't think it's worth doing this using a Smaller % allocation difference of 20%
You will have to do the Research & comparisons to determine that for yourself..

Bond Funds from the guidence from : William Larkin, fixed-income portfolio manager at Cabot Money Management, in Salem, Mass.,
says his portfolio was originally designed for conservative clients who wanted conservative investments. @ Cabot Money Management - Welcome

2009 Recommended Bond Port & Comparative Funds in { }

25% iShares Barclays Aggregate Bond ETF (AGG) (Tracks a broad index of high-quality U.S. bonds) {VBMFX }
25% iShares iboxx $ Investment Grade Corporate (LQD) (Tracks an index of the most liquid, long-term corporate bonds) {VWESX}
10% Fidelity Floating Rate High Income (FFRHX) (Invests in floating rate bank loans that automatically adjusts to rising short-term interest rates. It offers additional inflation hedge) & Only for Your ST COH for your bills and only for this yr of 09', not 4 LT.( 08' it was Shrt US Gov't Like VSGBX )
10% iShares MBS Fixed Income (MBB) (Tracks a broad index mortgage-backed securities) { VFIIX }
7.5% SPDR DB International Govt Inflation-Protected Bond (WIP) (Invests in an index of non-U.S., inflation-linked bonds) {VIPSX}
7.5% PowerShares Emerging Markets Sovereign Debt (PCY) (Tracks an index of emerging markets government debt) (PREMX/FNMIX}
7.5% iShares Barclays TIPS Bond (TIP) (Tracks an index of inflation-protected, U.S. Treasury securities) { VIPSX }
7.5% iShares Iboxx $ High Yield Corporate Bond (HYG) (Tracks an index of high yield bonds) {VWEHX }
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!