Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I drive 18,000 miles or so a year, DW only 10,000. So that's why I have the 4 banger and give her the 2 ton terror (minivan) to drive..........

Europe has loads of diesel and other high mileage cars, yet most of them never see the US shores, that's a shame.........

There is a downside to diesels.... (maybe it is not as bad today... but it was bad 10 years ago).... the soot.... when I was living in London I would get a lot of black soot in my nose... you could see it when you blew your nose!!! Mabye it was something else... but I did see it in a lot of other countires in Europe...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Switch to Tea... I hear they like to party....
Only if it's Texas Tea!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
There is a downside to diesels.... (maybe it is not as bad today... but it was bad 10 years ago).... the soot.... when I was living in London I would get a lot of black soot in my nose... you could see it when you blew your nose!!! Mabye it was something else... but I did see it in a lot of other countires in Europe...
The new diesels are low sulfur, not much black smoke at all anymore..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Only if it's Texas Tea!
You drink oil? Sounds serious! (Cue Beverly Hillbillies theme song)

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 04-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
You drink oil? Sounds serious! (Cue Beverly Hillbillies theme song)
I'm thinking something along these lines:

"a mixed drink made primarily of a high concentration of alcoholic ingredients, without any actual iced tea."

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 04-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The problem with what you present is "the minimum stopping distance for an automobile is determined by the effective coefficient of friction between the tires and the road." You seem to think that this friction is the same for all vehicles...

If you look at the stopping distance of most trucks/SUVs they are a bit longer than a sports car.... and almost all 18 wheelers take a lot longer to stop... sure, you can have more tires or wider tires etc. so a truck can stop quicker... but most do not...
Yes, coefficient of friction is the same for all vehicles. Learned that in EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operator's Class). It was beaten into us by the Court Certified Accident reconstruction expert PA State Police instructor.

And demonstrated with various tire segments on a variety of pavements.

Now if the vehicle, say a tractor trailer is moving at some speed at the time of using a stationary Prius for a bumping post the mass becomes relevant. The Tractor trailer's non-impact stopping distance remains the same.

For further info see: Engineering Physics for Lawyers. http://www.e-z.net/~ts/physics.htm
Old 04-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Yes, coefficient of friction is the same for all vehicles. Learned that in EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operator's Class). It was beaten into us by the Court Certified Accident reconstruction expert PA State Police instructor.

And demonstrated with various tire segments on a variety of pavements.

Now if the vehicle, say a tractor trailer is moving at some speed at the time of using a stationary Prius for a bumping post the mass becomes relevant. The Tractor trailer's non-impact stopping distance remains the same.

For further info see: Engineering Physics for Lawyers. accident reconstruction,engineering physics,speeds,distance,energy
Than how do you explain the various stopping distances from all the car mags...
Old 04-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Than how do you explain the various stopping distances from all the car mags...
Brake system design and implementation, ie. materials, proportioning, plus ABS variability. Add suspension features such as anti-dive etc..

For more info:

anlysis calculation design of automobile disc brake system PDF Download
Old 04-16-2011, 01:30 AM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

We live about 40 miles from the Pacific Ocean. In the past, we would sometimes drive to the coast and have a nice dinner in Ventura Ca.

no more. I feel badly for those restaurants, but I'm not gonna spend $17 in gas to go to dinner.

FWIW, we seriously underestimated the amount of money we spend in retirement TO DRIVE TO OUR HOBBIES. My wife drives 60 miles roundtrip to dance with her girlfriends. I drive 110 miles to play softball. ugh.

we'll give up dinners in Ventura, but not gonna give up our hobbies.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

We will drive less I am sure, we certainly did last time gas went over $4/gal. Just stayed home a little more and consolidated trips even more than usual. And my next car will get significantly better mileage, though I'm not going to rush out and buy a car just because...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 04-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by albundyz View Post
FWIW, we seriously underestimated the amount of money we spend in retirement TO DRIVE TO OUR HOBBIES. My wife drives 60 miles roundtrip to dance with her girlfriends. I drive 110 miles to play softball. ugh.
We had the same experience. Both of us drive a lot more miles than we used to, especially DW.

All that time that used to be spent at work is now free time and that entails going somewhere. Her next car is going to be something along the lines of a Honda Fit or similar high-mileage car.

The motorcycle does help in the gas mileage department, but it also has higher maintenance requirements partially offsetting that. I'm doing well to get 10k miles out of a $150 tire (they use softer rubber to grip better but wear faster than car tires).
Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

I've already skipped taking the car out for errands I could put off or skip in an attempt to bunch the errands together another day to make fewer trips.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #113
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I drive 6 miles round trip Mon, Wed and Fri to work. DH is not working. However, we are planning on driving from WV to CA and back in June and July. Our granddaughter is now living in San Diego and we can't wait to see her again. My DH has never been to Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon. I hate that gas prices are so high, but decided to go ahead and go this year since no one knows how our health will be in later years. We are taking DH's Durango for the extra room. We will be taking out some of the things that DD could not fit in her car when she moved back to CA. We are also bringing back a chair and ottoman that we gave to DD and that she no longer wants due to it's size. Also, in the summer, my DH drives his corvette that has a 454 big block engine. It is his only hobby, so I am quiet about the amount of gas it uses. I will try to talk my DH into something much more gas efficient, when his Durgango goes. We will not buy any other vehicle, until ours die though.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Anyone that has not signed up for the Penfed CU Visa Rewards (5% rebate on gasoline).......what are you waiting for?
Old 04-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of oil conspiracies, here's a documentary I watched on a plane recently:

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvi...apse__part_1_/
Old 04-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets

I own oil company stocks. Generally, as prices at the pump go up, so does the stock price. Its like a natural hedge. I have made more money on the oil stocks than what I have spent at the pump, so it really doesnt matter to me.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
I own oil company stocks. Generally, as prices at the pump go up, so does the stock price. Its like a natural hedge. I have made more money on the oil stocks than what I have spent at the pump, so it really doesnt matter to me.
It certainly takes the sting out of filling up.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingdoc View Post
Guess what kiddies, to hell with fuel prices, I will be splashing my 50 silverton convertible in 2 weeks which pulls in an impressive 1/2 mile per gallon of diesel! Now that is some fuel economy for ya!
I just got off a cruise that covered 4000+ miles and was expecting them to slap on a surcharge at the end, but they did not add one on though they advised at the beginning that a $9/day surcharge could be added. While on board I was speaking with the Environmental officer and he said that they get 1 mile for every 50 gallons diesel. His goal was to reduce fuel consumption by 10%...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #119
Gone but not forgotten

I am so glad we bought our airfare for our Alaska trip eight months ago . We paid $300 a person and now they are at $900 !
Old 04-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #120
Full time employment: Posting here.

I try not to look at the price of gas each day. I look at my annual expenses. I try not to worry too much about something that I can't control. I am semi retired and work 4 morning a week, however, I am thinking about asking the boss if I can work from home 1 day a week if the price of gas stays at $4.00 at the end of the year. It is about a 20 mile drive each way.
Closed Thread