$3 - $4 13 13.00%
$4 - $5 30 30.00%
$5 - $6 24 24.00%
$6 - $7 12 12.00%
More than $7 11 11.00%
I don't spend enough on gas to think about this. 9 9.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetirementColdHardTruth View Post
Serious. Check the link 3.7l per 100km. Thats 73+ mpg.
3.7l = .977 US gal
100 KM = 62 US (statute) miles.

Doing the "maths": = 63.46 mpg

And, that's diesel, which is pricier in the US than regular gasoline

Still a lot, but not 73+. Maybe they are using Imperial Gallons, or special "Ford Gallons".
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This one is more middle of the road (speaking figuratively, of course.) Fewer "plushes" than the fancy rigs - no granite, central vac system or heated marble floors - but real wood cabinets and a decent insulation package.

There really isn't much counter space in the kitchen as you can see. DW asked the RV sales guy if he had one with no kitchen at all...
Still, it's pretty! Might do in a pinch if you just had to cook. I like your DW's way of thinking, though. I also like the real wood cabinets.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Probably because these manufacturers can make more selling all they manufacture in Europe (tiny cars fetch a lot more money there than here). Also, I don't know if they can pass US crash tests. VW was reportedly getting one of their TDI models crash tested in the US in 2008, maybe things didn't go well.
Crash tests get the same score for the Polo and the Fiesta no matter the engine type. Make sence seeing it is the same car really.

It just gets on my nerves we limit our economy based on views that the power isnt there in desel. I will take 73-80mpg any day over 42 we get here. Also on top gear UK version they did a road race and one of the guys had the Polo tdi and he was driving really softly and pulling 90+ mpg out of it.

If you guys dont believe me check it out on netflix.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry guys my conversion online calculator was converting incorrectly. Here is on that produces the right results when converting litres per 100km to mpg.

CalculateMe.com - Convert Liters Per 100 Kilometers to Miles Per Gallon (US)
Old 03-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

I picked up a used F-350 diesel crew cab long box last year. I had to buy steps so DW could climb into it. It was my first experience with a truck, much less a 4x4 'big foot' and after driving through the blizzards, see why they are so popular.

I do have to plan ahead for city parking though.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #66

Quote:
VW was reportedly getting one of their TDI models crash tested in the US in 2008, maybe things didn't go well.
VW had brought several TDIs here. I had one for a while, and got about 45 MPG, close to what my motorcycle gets now. They brought over another TDI just a year or two ago; they were heavily advertising it on that Mythbuster's show.

If they can bring those stupid Smart Cars over here, it astounds me we're not seeing the diesels. Or at least the cool new Alfa Romeos.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #67
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

There really isn't much counter space in the kitchen as you can see. DW asked the RV sales guy if he had one with no kitchen at all...

She would probably change her mind after a few weeks with nothing but restaurant food . I know when we travel I just get tired of eating out so a kitchen that size would be perfect .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
I picked up a used F-350 diesel crew cab long box last year. I had to buy steps so DW could climb into it. It was my first experience with a truck, much less a 4x4 'big foot' and after driving through the blizzards, see why they are so popular.

I do have to plan ahead for city parking though.
I can't even imagine parking a truck that big.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #69
Gone but not forgotten

Since we are talking gas prices I have to put in a plug for my Honda CRV . Absolutely great gas mileage ! Love this car !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #70

Quote:
And, that's diesel, which is pricier in the US than regular gasoline
Even when diesel was about $0.20 more than regular gas, I was still paying half to two thirds per mile driven than most other cars. And that was at 99,000+ miles on the odometer. That was only getting about 45 MPG too, not the 50-80 that's been reported in some European diesels.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
If they can bring those stupid Smart Cars over here, it astounds me we're not seeing the diesels. Or at least the cool new Alfa Romeos.
So, what's the theory? Ford and VW don't want to make money? Americans are too stupid to know that they ought to want a turbodiesel, (and Ford and VW don't have marketing departments)? This isn't Europe but it ought to be (as the high-speed train boosters keep saying)?
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
In most of Europe, diesel is typically about 30c/USgal cheaper than gasoline. (The only country I can think of immediately where it's a little more expensive (10c/gal) is the UK.)
Which is the exact opposite of what we have here, where diesel is $0.30 a gallon more or so. Looking at the prices you guys are paying ($5.40 a gallon or so for diesel) vs our price of $3.39, it makes sense that US refiners are still electing to ship as much diesel as they can get away with to Europeland.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #73

Quote:
So, what's the theory? Ford and VW don't want to make money? Americans are too stupid to know that they ought to want a turbodiesel, (and Ford and VW don't have marketing departments)? This isn't Europe but it ought to be (as the high-speed train boosters keep saying)?
I don't know what the story is. And I certainly don't want to tell other people what to buy. But my comment was about the possible crash test failings; Euro NCAP tests seem to favor a number of small cars from various manufacturers with good crash test results.

At least one of the Smart cars sold here only gets an average rating, and just looking at a Ford Galaxy diesel minivan, it got an excellent rating.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Which is the exact opposite of what we have here, where diesel is $0.30 a gallon more or so. Looking at the prices you guys are paying ($5.40 a gallon or so for diesel) vs our price of $3.39, it makes sense that US refiners are still electing to ship as much diesel as they can get away with to Europeland.
If at $3.39 and 50 MPG for a diesel, and at $3.09 for 35 MPG for a car, you're still paying $0.02 cents a mile less with the diesel. You'd have to drop to below 40 MPG for the diesel to make it even.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK...but they all kinda look the same.

TBD. The RV is still at the dealer. I'm having a second A/C unit installed 'cause it gets might hot in TX - but ya'll already knew that...

I'm hoping for 12 but expecting 10. Either way it will be an improvement over the 7.5 - 8 I got in the bus.

So why are you swapping the bus for a 5th wheel?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #76
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
So why are you swapping the bus for a 5th wheel?
We really liked the bus, but there are three reasons we decided to go a different direction:

1. Age and reliability issues (yes, both me and the bus). The MH is 10 years old and I was growing concerned about the potential inconvenience and expense of mechanical problems, especially while on the road.
2. Size issues (no, not me, just the bus ). We found our MH was too big to get into some state parks and older camping areas designed when RV's were much smaller. Even worse, some areas say they are "big rig friendly" but are really challenging for a mere mortal to maneuver into a camping spot. Unfortunately you don't find this out until you're already committed...
3. Safety concerns. I was always a little worried about driving something offering little crash protection beyond a fiberglass shell. A metal truck cab with front and side airbags is a big improvement.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I can't even imagine parking a truck that big.
To WTR. Parking isn't too hard. When you feel the bump on backing up, you are getting close to having the room to park, just gun it and it will fit.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
To WTR. Parking isn't too hard. When you feel the bump on backing up, you are getting close to having the room to park, just gun it and it will fit.
Oh, NOW I see!

Old 03-18-2011, 06:03 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We really liked the bus, but there are three reasons we decided to go a different direction:

1. Age and reliability issues (yes, both me and the bus). The MH is 10 years old and I was growing concerned about the potential inconvenience and expense of mechanical problems, especially while on the road.
2. Size issues (no, not me, just the bus ). We found our MH was too big to get into some state parks and older camping areas designed when RV's were much smaller. Even worse, some areas say they are "big rig friendly" but are really challenging for a mere mortal to maneuver into a camping spot. Unfortunately you don't find this out until you're already committed...
3. Safety concerns. I was always a little worried about driving something offering little crash protection beyond a fiberglass shell. A metal truck cab with front and side airbags is a big improvement.
Will a monster pickup hauling a 5th wheel be easier to maneuver than a moho? I ask having only ever driven a smallish class C and the minivan towing my stubby lil trailer.

I hear you on reliability and safety. I always figured the mohos would be ok in a wreck simply due to size and weight.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #80
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Will a monster pickup hauling a 5th wheel be easier to maneuver than a moho?
The articulated design of the truck/5th wheel trailer configuration definitely improves stability and maneuverability over that of a 40' bus. I never measured the actual turning radius but with a 24' wheelbase, our motor home needed a lot of room to turn a corner.

To be clear, I'm not trying to bad-mouth motor homes. Our bus had lots of creature comforts and was a very quiet and comfortable ride cruising down the highway. We had a lot of good times over the 3 1/2 years we owned it. (Just checked, we spent 148 nights in it. Should have used it more...)