$3 - $4 13 13.00%
$4 - $5 30 30.00%
$5 - $6 24 24.00%
$6 - $7 12 12.00%
More than $7 11 11.00%
I don't spend enough on gas to think about this. 9 9.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like you will be putting more nights into the 5th wheel, which is great.

We have had a ball with our trailer even though we only seem to manage 30 nights or so a year. When I am eventually free it will be a lot more.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Personally, I will be just waiting for the next big gas price spike to buy a nice truck at a cheap price.

I'm thinking that's my plan too...

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetirementColdHardTruth View Post
I just dont get it. A VW polo tdi in UK and Australia gets 73/79 miles per gallon. The festiva there also has a tdi option that gets over 80 mile per gallon. Best we can do here is 42 mpg.

why would anybody want a hybrid? Just give us the tdi's.

I want to know why we can't get it here.
Frustrating, isn't it? I have a 10 year old diesel jetta and at some point in three to five years will want to replace it with another high mileage vehicle. I looked at the current jettas and the upcharge for the diesel is now ridiculous. Might as well buy a gas car.

Reasons that I recall for fewer diesels available in the US:

1. There are substantially higher taxes on diesel fuel than on gas, driving up the fuel price.
2. There is a perception that US buyers don't want them, think that they are low tech, and people do complain about things like the smell of the fuel.
3. There have been changes in fuel standards which required changes in engines. California had banned jettas for sale for several years.
4. Factories in the US must retool to build diesels here, which will be costly and that cost will be passed along to diesel customers who won't want to pay a huge amount more for a diesel vehicle. (Why not build the engines elsewhere? Apparently that is expensive too?)

I want a diesel electric hybrid myself.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
OK...but they all kinda look the same.

TBD. The RV is still at the dealer. I'm having a second A/C unit installed 'cause it gets might hot in TX - but ya'll already knew that...

I'm hoping for 12 but expecting 10. Either way it will be an improvement over the 7.5 - 8 I got in the bus.
Wow - I can't believe my eyes! You switched from motorhome to 5th wheel while I wasn't looking? I wondered why you bought a big truck, but then I figured lots of folks in TX like to own big trucks.

Audrey
Old 03-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wow - I can't believe my eyes! You switched from motorhome to 5th wheel while I wasn't looking? I wondered why you bought a big truck, but then I figured lots of folks in TX like to own big trucks.
Yep. Been retired a little over 5 years. Time for a "redesign"...
Old 03-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep. Been retired a little over 5 years. Time for a "redesign"...
Oh - that five year cycle!

I get some of your mh issues. But as for RVs we wouldn't consider anything other than maybe downsizing to a largish class C (which would improve the passenger safety) now that we are no longer full-timing. I don't like big trucks for tooling around in. I much prefer to tow a smaller passenger vehicle. Fortunately our 37" motorhome has been able to fit many places so size has been fine with us.

Well - our motorhome is not quite 6 years old, so we have a ways to go (knock on wood !!).

Congrats on taking your motorhome to 10 years!

Audrey
Old 03-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #87
gone traveling

Quote:
Fortunately our 37" motorhome has been able to fit many places so size has been fine with us.Audrey
I dunno, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable in a 37-inch long motorhome, though I'm sure it would fit into many places...YMMV...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would have chose a 48 incher for the extra storage, but I admire what the tiny house movement can do with efficient use of space.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Latest ripoff price is $3.67/gallon.

The little 92 Honda Accord winter rat is getting a lot of use versus the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I drive it only enough to keep the rotors free of rust. Mr B and I are "carpooling" every single day, combining normal errands and his periodic Legion meetings in 1 trip.
I bring my Kindle or Jumble puzzle book along and wait around until the meetings are done.
My PNC cashback card is taking some of the pain away with 4% cashback on gasoline and automotive purchases.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
I dunno, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable in a 37-inch long motorhome, though I'm sure it would fit into many places...YMMV...
Oops! Hit the shift key, dang it! LOL!
Old 03-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #91
gone traveling

Quote:
Oops! Hit the shift key, dang it! LOL!
We're with the Punctuation Police and we're here to help....

(FWIW, they have visited me a few times as well...)
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #92

Looks like the consensus is just over $5 per gallon.

If I plan to drive my new care 100,000 miles, the difference between a 20 mpg car and a 25 mpg car is about 1,000 gallons or $5,000. Not trivial compared to the initial cost.

Another view is that 20 mpg vs. 25 mpg represents an extra 5 cents per mile. At 60 mpg, I'd be spending an extra nickel per minute to drive the lower mpg car.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #93
Dryer sheet aficionado

Send a message via Skype™ to Isadora
The sweet days when we moved to Texas in 1972 and gasoline was 21 CENTS per gallon. I buy it by the liter now but $2/liter? Ouch, that's close to $8 per gallon. More than innocence was lost so many years ago.

Things always make me nervous when I see something clearly and wonder why those in charge of such things are blind to it. Can anyone understand why we don't have fields of wind turbines and solar panels instead of nuclear power Safe, as abundant. Perhaps there is no mystery that allows them to charge outrageous prices for? I don't know, but it is sad for many reasons.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
Can anyone understand why we don't have fields of wind turbines and solar panels instead of nuclear power Safe, as abundant. Perhaps there is no mystery that allows them to charge outrageous prices for? I don't know, but it is sad for many reasons.
I live in Iowa, and we do have fields of wind turbines here. Any time I drive to Minnesota or Nebraska I'll pass wind farms. I regularly see the huge windmill blades transported on the interstate, presumably going to new farms. My town power coop was an early experimenter with wind energy.

But, the only reason we have as much as we do is that the federal government subsidizes wind power. It's still cheaper to dig coal out of the ground than to build high tech windmills.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #95
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The RV is still at the dealer. I'm having a second A/C unit installed 'cause it gets might hot in TX - but ya'll already knew that...

I'm hoping for 12[MPG] but expecting 10. Either way it will be an improvement over the 7.5 - 8 I got in the bus.
Follow up:

We finally picked up our new-to-us 5th wheel from the dealer today. The 35 mile trip home was on curvy, very hilly two-lane secondary roads. I got 11+ MPG! That means on "real" roads I should average 12 or maybe 13! Wow!
Old 03-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

I found this article interesting. Even as gas prices rise, people are shying away from economical cars

Sales of fuel-efficient autos stall despite high gas prices | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Quote:
Automakers are spending more than $50 billion to meet the government's 2016 fuel economy law, but consumers aren't buying enough of the fuel-efficient vehicles necessary to allow automakers to achieve the required 35.5 miles-per-gallon average.
Despite rising gas prices and new electric cars and hybrids, the fuel economy of Americans' new vehicles stagnated last year.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #97
Full time employment: Posting here.

So CAFE laws are making the kinds of cars we want to buy more expensive, so the car companies can afford to shuttle out cars no one's buying but makes the environmentalists feel better?
Old 03-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #98

I replied "more than $7", because I don't anticipate gas going down 15% from its current level of $8/gallon here any time soon.

500 million Europeans look at Americans - many of whom, these days, drive cars almost as economical as ours - complaining about gas prices, and murmur "I wish".

Spare a special thought for Turkish drivers, paying $11 a gallon.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
Spare a special thought for Turkish drivers, paying $11 a gallon.

I have this suspicion that gas prices like that might just alter American new car buying habits a bit.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Follow up:

We finally picked up our new-to-us 5th wheel from the dealer today. The 35 mile trip home was on curvy, very hilly two-lane secondary roads. I got 11+ MPG! That means on "real" roads I should average 12 or maybe 13! Wow!
Hey, that's terrific! Congratulations on your new 5th wheel and truck.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote