Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeboz View Post
Interesting. Thoughts on Pimco Income, PIMIX?

If I you compare it to VAN Wellesley that same time period it comes out on top. Or better yet if you include the 08/09 recession, so a 2007-2019 range the performance gap is even greater.

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/...ocation2_2=100

I am a huge fan of Vanguard products but have been struggling on the PIMIX fund when I stumbled on its performance - how much should I allocate, etc.. interestingly there seem to be few mentions of it or fans from what I can tell. Not sure why.

Your withdrawal Amount is annual not monthly

thepalmersinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Investing
Old 11-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #42
Confused about dryer sheets

Investing

I really know nothing about investing and trying to make enough to retire in 5 years. How do i find a good investment advisor who can be trusted .

farky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepalmersinking View Post
Your withdrawal Amount is annual not monthly
Correct but in this comparison it does not matter. I am comparing the two funds with the backtest criteria being the same and highlighting the performance difference to see if folks think PIMIX is a decent addition to a portfolio.

Anyone have it as a core position, large percentage?

Thanks
zekeboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by farky View Post
I really know nothing about investing and trying to make enough to retire in 5 years. How do i find a good investment advisor who can be trusted .
Look in the mirror.

Post an introduction with some more information.

Hi, I am... - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

I think you will quickly see the people here can walk you through how very easy it is to set up a portfolio yourself (spoiler alert - you can do a fine job with just 2-3 funds, then leave them alone). It takes near zero effort, you just have to learn a few basics to see that doing almost nothing is very likely to be the best path.

As we say, the hardest thing to understand about personal finance is how simple it is.

And... by the time you know enough to determine if an FA is doing a good job, you know enough to do it yourself.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:55 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Maybe not what you want to hear, but if you really want to learn about investing, read some of the many, many posts on this forum. An adviser won't teach you anything. You won't know if the adviser is doing right by you if you don't understand basic investing concepts and what you're hoping to achieve (growth, cash flow, a blend, etc.).
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:07 AM   #46

Yes like all the abbreviations and terminologies used what they mean . I have a few annuieties which i didnt know any better, some rental properties a 401 k and emergency funds in savings. But just not sure it will generate enough to not run out of money. Health ins scares me the most!
Old 11-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
Maybe not what you want to hear, but if you really want to learn about investing, read some of the many, many posts on this forum. An adviser won't teach you anything. You won't know if the adviser is doing right by you if you don't understand basic investing concepts and what you're hoping to achieve (growth, cash flow, a blend, etc.).
+1
Also, read a few basic investing books.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They are like unicorns, very hard to find.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #49

What books would give me the basics to know what and where to invest in
Old 11-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes like all the abbreviations and terminologies used what they mean . I have a few annuieties which i didnt know any better, some rental properties a 401 k and emergency funds in savings. But just not sure it will generate enough to not run out of money. Health ins scares me the most!
On the first part, running out of money... have you tried FIRECalc?

On health insurance, check out healthsherpa.com

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Many books can be sampled at Amazon and other sites. I'd read the reviews at Bogleheads to make sure any given book is right.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Book...ns_and_reviews

Tobias and Bernstein are authors I enjoyed.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:42 AM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
"The Coffeehouse Investor" by Bill Schultheis and "The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing" by Larimore et al.

After these, "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" by Burton Malkiel (get the latest edition) or "Winning the Loser's Game" by Charles Ellis.

Do not buy or read any books that claim to have a scheme that will make you rich. The only way to get rich via a book like this is to write one. If anyone actually does have such a scheme, they are not going to tell you. They are on a private tropical island somewhere, relaxing.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogl...g_start-up_kit
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #54
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
The easiest thing is just to do what Buffet said: 90% in Vanguard S&P 500 Index fund, 10% in US Treasuries Bond Fund. If 90/10 makes you too nervous, you can do 80/20 or 70/30. Historically, just putting your money in an S&P 500 index fund would have put you in a small crowd of the most successful investors ever (in fact, you would have outperformed Buffet over the last 10 years).

Full disclosure: I don't totally practice what I preach. While I do have a large amount in S&P 500 funds, I also have a large amount in individual blue chip dividend growth type stocks and a substantial portfolio of individual municipal bonds.
RAchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
To be clearer, look at the general case, it's not just "dividend income".

All withdrawals from a traditional IRA are taxed as regular income
-ERD50
Except for your basis, which for many is zero. But a number of us made after tax contributions to TIRA's and have a basis.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:38 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I would recommend starting with If You Can, by William Bernstein. The book is targeted at young investors, but the information can work for anyone.

It's an easy read, the sixteen page booklet can be downloaded here. https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #57
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have both mutual funds and single stocks. I've used this following site for single stocks :

https://www.dogsofthedow.com/highest...cap-stocks.htm

As some have noted -
I would certainly not put all my savings into 1 single stock here or even a few stocks, but I do invest small to medium portions of funds to singles in this list. Be careful, many of even the large cap high dividend stocks may be quite risky too. For example, although a stock may offer a 5% dividend, it could fall say 30% in year over year. In once case, I've owned ATT for several years and have had to endure it being red for much of the time. Finally in black again and thinking about selling a chunk now. It's generated a nice clump of dividends during that waiting period, but its a leap of faith hoping that the stock makes it back up to black position. This is one reason why I very seldom will purchase a single stock sporting a peak position. The warning goes, past performance may not indicate future performance.

CDs meanwhile were looking nice last year until the fed slashed down the rates that had taken a few years to build. I was able to secure a 5-year 4% CD last November, and am sorry I didn't get more into it. I was not expecting such a plummet and slash. CD's unfortunately are taxed at normal rates vs dividends.

pc95 is offline   Reply With Quote