Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Genworth LTC strikes again
Old 05-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 230
Genworth LTC strikes again

Just got the notice this morning. Last year there was a big increase for us. They now want 1030 a quarter as opposed to 755, that is for a monthly max benefit of 9,428. Mine is lower.

Of course you can pick option C keep basically the same premium but reduce
payout to 6700/month.

I fail to see how state insurance people are approving these increases.

This is getting insane.
Oldmike
__________________

mf15 is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf15 View Post

I fail to see how state insurance people are approving these increases.
It seems similar to how the PBGC approves taking over a pension fund while allowing the company to remain in business. Analysis of the numbers tells them that the company will go belly-up if it must add to the pension fund in appropriate actuarial amounts so the PBGC takes over and the company marches on freed from the burden......

I guess with LTCI increases the state insurance boards feel that without the increase the insurance company is at significant risk of defaulting and grants the increase (or decrease in benefits) as being better than the insurance company being gone.
__________________

__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline  
Old 05-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf15 View Post
I fail to see how state insurance people are approving these increases.

This is getting insane.
Insurance Departments have two main responsibilities: protecting the consumer, and keeping insurance companies solvent. The well-regulated Departments realize that sometimes you have to give priority to the second objective even if the consumers are unhappy. Everyone loses if a company becomes insolvent and can't pay its claims.

There's also an "adverse selection" death spiral here. As rates go up, the policyholders who keep paying the premiums include a disproportional share of those who have a high probability of needing LTC for an extensive period of time, given health issues or family history, so the experience gets worse and the insurers need more money to pay claims.
athena53 is offline  
Old 05-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,978
I dropped mine long ago. I could see the writing on the wall.......
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline  
Old 05-21-2018, 02:08 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
HNL Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 673
Is there a risk that you might eventually not be able to afford payments, or that it will no longer make sense to make them? LTC insurance is such a conundrum. Most who need it can't afford it over the long haul (like my Mom, who paid maybe $15K into it, before I talked her into dropping it, as I saw her running out of money, long before 80 if she had kept up the payments), and those who don't need it can be self-insured.
HNL Bill is offline  
Old 05-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 44,335
Our LTC premiums had no increase for the first 14 years we owned them, then increased 50% in 2014 and another 30% in 2016. I don't know the waiting period or the length of coverage Old Mike has on his policies but even after our two big increases we are paying just under $300/quarter each for $7,300/mo in coverage for each us for a max of three years.

Not great, but still cost effective enough for us to keep the policies.
__________________
Numbers is hard

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline  
Old 05-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf15 View Post
Just got the notice this morning. Last year there was a big increase for us. They now want 1030 a quarter as opposed to 755, that is for a monthly max benefit of 9,428. Mine is lower.

Of course you can pick option C keep basically the same premium but reduce
payout to 6700/month.

I fail to see how state insurance people are approving these increases.

This is getting insane.
Oldmike

Yup. I agree Old Mike. We just purchased a LTC Policy from MassMutual. They were proud of the fact that they never raised their premiums. Well.. guess what/ Now they are raising premiums on their older policies. None of these insurers properly priced these policies when they were issued. So now you either pay the increase or decrease your benefits. You can't win.




Which is why I told my wife . Screw it. No more donations. No more giving to charity. We now keep our money and spend it and gift it only to our children. Everyone needs to take care of their own. Money is meant to be enjoyed and spent on oneself.
MrLoco is offline  
Old 05-21-2018, 02:46 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
we are paying just under $300/quarter each for $7,300/mo in coverage for each us for a max of three years.

Not great, but still cost effective enough for us to keep the policies.
Looks great enough to me.
__________________
Old enough to know better.
joeea is offline  
Old 05-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Big_Hitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In the fairway
Posts: 4,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Looks great enough to me.
agreed - most of us can't even get ltc nowadays
__________________
Swing hard, look up
Big_Hitter is offline  
Old 05-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Marita40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 1,292
I'm very, very conflicted on my Genworth policy. Last year it went up hugely, to be phased over two years. It is due again in a month and, I'm again conflicted about renewing. Last year I did all sorts of research and reading, and for every yea-sayer there was a nay-sayer.

What a conundrum.
Marita40 is offline  
Old 05-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 230
Ours is for 5 year coverage, but this is getting crazy. But then again who knows what will happen with health. My mother made it 3 years in a home, which ran about 3200/month and that was 10 yeas ago. I guess will go with option C, for now. One good clause in the policy is that if one spouse dies, then the other pays no premium for the duration. The other thing I dont like is the 90 day exclusion before any payment. Then you have to get them to start paying. The other option is to stop payments, and you get to use the money you have contributed over the years if you need to go into a home.

Bottom line is, I hope I never need it.
Oldmike
mf15 is offline  
Old 05-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLoco View Post
Which is why I told my wife . Screw it. No more donations. No more giving to charity. We now keep our money and spend it and gift it only to our children. Everyone needs to take care of their own. Money is meant to be enjoyed and spent on oneself.
I'm not quite that cynical- fortunately, I can happily squander a lot on travel and a similar amount on charity- but my top fiscal priority is having enough to provide for LTC if I need it. Given that most of my other expenses would be zero if I enter a nursing home, I should be fine. No LTC coverage here.
athena53 is offline  
Old 05-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Our LTC premiums had no increase for the first 14 years we owned them, then increased 50% in 2014 and another 30% in 2016. I don't know the waiting period or the length of coverage Old Mike has on his policies but even after our two big increases we are paying just under $300/quarter each for $7,300/mo in coverage for each us for a max of three years.

Not great, but still cost effective enough for us to keep the policies.
My mother's LTC nursing/home care coverage is 10,500 monthly lifetime unlimited and 5% inflation increases.
BUT the yearly premium is $7,700.
__________________
TGIM
Dtail is offline  
Old 05-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.
HNL Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Given that most of my other expenses would be zero if I enter a nursing home, I should be fine. No LTC coverage here.
If you enter a nursing home, there may be charges for:
>In-house pharmacy (higher than a regular pharmacy)
>Visiting Physical therapists
>Special supplies
>Health Insurance (still have to keep paying)
>Co-pays on meds and doctors and hospital
>Cable television
>Telephone / Internet
>Transportation to out-of-town doctors

A La Carte personal services (depends on the facility), but some have individual charges for dressing, feeding, turning, bathing, etc. My Mom's base rate was only $4K per month in a memory care unit, but care services alone added $2K for my mom.
HNL Bill is offline  
Old 05-21-2018, 07:06 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
If you enter a nursing home, there may be charges for:
>In-house pharmacy (higher than a regular pharmacy)
>Visiting Physical therapists
>Special supplies
>Health Insurance (still have to keep paying)
>Co-pays on meds and doctors and hospital
>Cable television
>Telephone / Internet
>Transportation to out-of-town doctors

A La Carte personal services (depends on the facility), but some have individual charges for dressing, feeding, turning, bathing, etc. My Mom's base rate was only $4K per month in a memory care unit, but care services alone added $2K for my mom.
Thanks- I should have added "except for out-of-pocket medical", which covers most of that. I anticipate I'll still need regular dental care, eyeglasses and maybe hearing aids, too. Expenses that will go to zero (assuming I'm paying month-to-month, haven't bought into a property I need to maintain, no longer have a car): mortgage, property taxes, home maintenance, car and car maintenance, travel, charity, insurance other than Medicare and supplement. Last year was a biggie for travel but travel and charity were 40% of my expenditures. It's 35% 2018 YTD. Still nothing to sneeze at.
athena53 is offline  
Old 05-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 3,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
If you enter a nursing home, there may be charges for:
>In-house pharmacy (higher than a regular pharmacy)
>Visiting Physical therapists
>Special supplies
>Health Insurance (still have to keep paying)
>Co-pays on meds and doctors and hospital
>Cable television
>Telephone / Internet
>Transportation to out-of-town doctors

A La Carte personal services (depends on the facility), but some have individual charges for dressing, feeding, turning, bathing, etc. My Mom's base rate was only $4K per month in a memory care unit, but care services alone added $2K for my mom.
When my mom was in a facility, the meds were outrageously priced. I don't know if any of the insurance we currently have (DW and I) would cover any of these meds as distributed by care homes. I don't know if any of these "services" are negotiable (including NOT providing them.)

The whole thing sounds like a racket. How is it that care homes need to charge more than a luxury resort to keep you in a semi-private room with essentially no amenities (no pool, no ocean, no gym, etc.)? $10K/month seems outrageous. YMMV
__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline  
Old 05-21-2018, 08:47 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 8,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Thanks- I should have added "except for out-of-pocket medical", which covers most of that. I anticipate I'll still need regular dental care, eyeglasses and maybe hearing aids, too.
Don't forget the hair cut/styling/coloring, nail Solon services, makeup, and other assorted chemicals/treatments that women routinely need on a periodic basis. If you get into a higher end facility, you may have access to massages, use of sauna, etc.
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline  
Old 05-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
GalaxyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains
Posts: 1,280
DW was able to convert her state employee LTC policy when she retired eight years ago. I just got the latest bill and she pays $23.85 per quarter for a $75/day benefit for up to 2 years of care. I think the premium might have gone up once in the time we've had it.

Sure, 75 bucks a day doesn't nearly cover all expenses, but we figure it's relatively cheap and better than nothing. I had no idea these policies have been getting so pricey.
__________________
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over Fudd's First Law of Opposition.
GalaxyBoy is offline  
Old 05-21-2018, 11:32 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
There's also an "adverse selection" death spiral here. As rates go up, the policyholders who keep paying the premiums include a disproportional share of those who have a high probability of needing LTC for an extensive period of time, given health issues or family history, so the experience gets worse and the insurers need more money to pay claims.
I've been away from this for 11 years, so my experience may be outdated.

But, the word then was that policyholders were remarkably sticky. They complained about rate increases, but almost everyone kept their policies.

I think a big part of that is the lack of non-forfeiture values. The new, higher premium is still cheaper than a new policy at the current attained age. You can't roll the cash value like you would in replacing a permanent life insurance policy.
Independent is online now  
Old 05-22-2018, 02:02 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
When my mom was in a facility, the meds were outrageously priced. I don't know if any of the insurance we currently have (DW and I) would cover any of these meds as distributed by care homes. I don't know if any of these "services" are negotiable (including NOT providing them.)



The whole thing sounds like a racket. How is it that care homes need to charge more than a luxury resort to keep you in a semi-private room with essentially no amenities (no pool, no ocean, no gym, etc.)? $10K/month seems outrageous. YMMV


Skilled nursing is one of the most highly regulated industries in the US. The regulations are no doubt intended to ensure that the elderly are treated properly. However, it is very difficult for operators to make a profit and with the ACA and related reduced reimbursement to care providers, revenue is declining while labor and other costs are increasing. Many operators who used to eke out a small profit are exiting the business.

I really wonder how the landscape will change over the next 10-20 years. I think LTC may be delivered in very different settings than exist today.
__________________

Scuba is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just got first Genworth LTC increase mf15 Health and Early Retirement 17 05-26-2014 08:38 AM
Genworth 2013 LTC Cost Study mickeyd Health and Early Retirement 1 05-02-2013 06:23 AM
Genworth LTC rates increasing steeply on 8/1 dgoldenz FIRE and Money 7 07-01-2012 12:52 AM
Genworth LTC using benifit? Trawler Health and Early Retirement 1 04-01-2011 08:51 PM
Are Genworth LTC policies at risk of default? Bongleur Health and Early Retirement 5 02-02-2011 08:29 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:25 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.