Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unno2002 View Post
Would travelers checks in Euro's work?
NO. NO. NO. Don't get Travelers Checks. They are hard to cash and are effectively obsolete. You'll also get a terrible exchange rate buying euro travelers checks in the US. Go with a low fee debit card for euros.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #82

+1. The only place to use travelers checks is 20 years ago

Old 03-22-2015, 07:26 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I've always made reservations directly through a hotel's web site or by contacting them. If something goes wrong, I'm hoping the direct contact will make it easier to correct. But we have used sites like TripAdvisor for info purposes.
A friend and I have done the same, with hotels recommended by R. Steves. The personal contact makes everything about the visit so pleasant!

Old 03-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I was hoping they were playing American jazz over there.
Sometimes they do! In 2013, while a friend and I were enjoying charcuterie at a cafe on Rue Mouffetard (Left Bank, market district) some gypsies worked their up the street playing Dixieland and panhandling (or whatever it is called in Paris). The owner of our cafe came out and shooed them away, but the music was delightful!
Old 03-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
+1. The only place to use travelers checks is 20 years ago
The only time I used travelers checks was on my first trip to Europe in 1979 and it was for business. I bought a thousand or so dollars of Deutschmarks several months before my trip. I was told to make at least one currency transaction to use as a basis for my expense account.

I was really a novice and made a small conversion at a booth at the airport. It was also during a time when the dollar was falling rapidly against the mark. I kept all my receipts and bought souvenirs that weren't covered by the expense account. When I got back I converted the remaining travelers checks at the bank I bought them at. When I completed my expense report, I ended up turning a significant profit due to the currency changes that were going on. Using the ripoff airport conversion charge didn't hurt either.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:51 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
Sometimes they do! In 2013, while a friend and I were enjoying charcuterie at a cafe on Rue Mouffetard (Left Bank, market district) some gypsies worked their up the street playing Dixieland and panhandling (or whatever it is called in Paris). The owner of our cafe came out and shooed them away, but the music was delightful!
Somehow I got the impression that Parisians like Jazz. Or at least they used to. I don't know it it's true any more.

Gypsies playing jazz? Now that I would love to see!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:59 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... Still a bit of odd French nasal warbling even with a British singer, LOL!...
And I imagine that British singer as being as cute as any real French mademoiselle when she sings that.

But then, I guess it's because I am always a Francophile.

PS. Pretty women always look pretty, no matter what language they speak. But when you hear only a voice, your imagination tends to be prejudiced by the language. That's what I meant.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #88

Quote:
Somehow I got the impression that Parisians like Jazz. Or at least they used to. I don't know it it's true any more.

Gypsies playing jazz? Now that I would love to see!
Actually, they were pretty good......and especially at working the crowd (though probably to a fault). They bordered on strange/somewhat menacing.

It was fun listening to their music, as long as one could avoid making eye contact with them.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
Actually, they were pretty good......and especially at working the crowd (though probably to a fault). They bordered on strange/somewhat menacing.

It was fun listening to their music, as long as one could avoid making eye contact with them.

The menacing part would not be fun. Yuck!
Old 03-24-2015, 03:29 AM   #90
Dryer sheet wannabe

I always get special travel card which i load up before i go and has no costs for withdrawl of money, i never really like to walk around with big wads of cash so just leave it all on my travellers card. Feels safer that way!
Old 03-24-2015, 08:07 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
I always get special travel card which i load up before i go and has no costs for withdrawl of money, i never really like to walk around with big wads of cash so just leave it all on my travellers card. Feels safer that way!
Which travel card?
Old 08-25-2015, 09:20 AM   #92

Bumping this thread to comment that the Euro drop worked out great for our trip - We averaged an exchange rate of .9ish... Got home Saturday - just checked the rates and it looks like the euro is rising against the dollar and we came home just in time. Just wish I'd taken a big ATM withdrawal before leaving... we ended up only bringing back about 20euros.... managed our cash spending well.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:31 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

The Euro is spiking at the moment, up to about $1.16. Still low compared to recent years. I assume that all the panic is now turned towards the stock markets and not the Greek Euro problem.