Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #181
Recycles dryer sheets

I yield.

I DO get it. Every point you've made is dead on target. The next time I enter into a conversation about something I think is likely, I will try to be more mindful of my verbiage and speak more in hypothetical terms. I guess I was just a little salty from what I viewed as excessive criticism for asking what was actually meant to be a "what if" question.
ScaredtoQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredtoQuit View Post
I yield.

I DO get it. Every point you've made is dead on target. The next time I enter into a conversation about something I think is likely, I will try to be more mindful of my verbiage and speak more in hypothetical terms. I guess I was just a little salty from what I viewed as excessive criticism for asking what was actually meant to be a "what if" question.
Find your comfort zone, and act accordingly. Everyone else can bugger off!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #183
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredtoQuit View Post
I yield.

I sympathize with you.

The people here tend to go on attack mode sometimes...makes me hesitant to even post things anymore, especially if it goes counter to the herd mentality.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #184
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
I sympathize with you.

The people here tend to go on attack mode sometimes...makes me hesitant to even post things anymore, especially if it goes counter to the herd mentality.
Yep, things can become contentious at times.

I've learned I need to have the courage of my convictions and be prepared to defend my position whenever I post any thoughts on investment strategy.

I've also learned not to expect everyone to agree with me and that I needed to have thick skin. Otherwise, internet discussion boards - even one where the mods try to get everyone to 'be nice' like here - may not be a good fit.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #185

Yesterday I thought I missed a great buying opportunity, lol. I just may buy some equities in my kids accounts tomorrow. Still waiting for S and P at 1050 to add equities to my portfolio.
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I sympathize with you.

All a matter of perspective and it is subjective, but I just went back and scanned the first 30 or so posts on this thread, and I would not label any of them as an 'attack'. I think people gave good reasons as to why the advice was questionable, and the OP himself started with a comment about how hard it is to time the market (and then said this was a 'slam dunk'). It's almost as if he was 'attacking' himself? Some comments might have had a bit of humor/sarcasm wrapped in them, but I think you have to be pretty thin-skinned to call that an 'attack'.

At any rate, if I have an idea that goes against conventional wisdom, I expect it to be challenged pretty hard if I start a thread based on it. Seems I better be ready to defend it. Personally, I like to be challenged on my ideas - I may learn something new, discover something I hadn't considered, or at least get a better idea on how to address the issue with people who have a different viewpoint.

Heck, this whole forum is a testament to toppling the 'herd mentality' - you can't retire early, you can't manage your own finances, you can't avoid going deep into credit card debt, you have to keep up with the Joneses, etc. I guess you could say that 'dirty market timing' is the subset herd mentality of an anti-herd mentality group (you just can't say it ten times fast).

edit/add: Often there is a good reason for 'herd mentality', it is the combined wisdom/experience of the herd.

IMO, you should not be afraid to post an opposing view. Just be prepared to defend it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

I'm starting to relate to these little guys.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
All a matter of perspective and it is subjective, but I just went back and scanned the first 30 or so posts on this thread, and I would not label any of them as an 'attack'. I think people gave good reasons as to why the advice was questionable, and the OP himself started with a comment about how hard it is to time the market (and then said this was a 'slam dunk'). It's almost as if he was 'attacking' himself? Some comments might have had a bit of humor/sarcasm wrapped in them, but I think you have to be pretty thin-skinned to call that an 'attack'.

At any rate, if I have an idea that goes against conventional wisdom, I expect it to be challenged pretty hard if I start a thread based on it. Seems I better be ready to defend it. Personally, I like to be challenged on my ideas - I may learn something new, discover something I hadn't considered, or at least get a better idea on how to address the issue with people who have a different viewpoint.

Heck, this whole forum is a testament to toppling the 'herd mentality' - you can't retire early, you can't manage your own finances, you can't avoid going deep into credit card debt, you have to keep up with the Joneses, etc. I guess you could say that 'dirty market timing' is the subset herd mentality of an anti-herd mentality group (you just can't say it ten times fast).

edit/add: Often there is a good reason for 'herd mentality', it is the combined wisdom/experience of the herd.

IMO, you should not be afraid to post an opposing view. Just be prepared to defend it.

-ERD50
If people wouldn't dissect every last word but take the spirit of the post it would be much better. Just a suggestion.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If people wouldn't dissect every last word but take the spirit of the post it would be much better. Just a suggestion.
I sympathize with the sentiment but having posted some poorly thought out shots from the hip that got quickly shot down I value the point by point dissections. A lot of us enjoy this board as a source of opinions that challenge our preconceived notions. We WANT the push back. If you recognize that most of the shots across your bow are not really hostile you will enjoy the give and take more. A few are actually hostile and should be ignored.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Noted. But words are all we have in posts. I often have trouble with my words not being read in the same spirit I intended (and it's often MY problem). All we can do is try to clear it up, or let it go.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #191
Give me a forum ...

I enjoy reading of others thoughts or of their actions. Sometimes I find value or hints or tips. I tend to write what I do or have done. Some of the things I do are successful, some are failures. The failures are usually better stories; some of the things I've done with success for decades are characterized by others as way too risky or way too much work. That's ok - I done 'em my way, they haven't.

If others find any merit in my words they are welcome to incorporate whatever of merit they find. I don't feel any wild desire to defend or justify my actions or my words.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote