Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We are in individual stocks in our taxable account. They are buy and hold value stocks. What we like about them is the ability to defer taxes on the capital gains. This has made the tax hit in ER very manageable. By avoiding most taxes for 5 years, our portfolio has grown more quickly. Trades cost $10 but are insignificant when compared with paying even a low MER.

We have been lucky enough to beat the indices (e.g. still up 14% YTD as of Friday). OTOH it does require some attention to get these kind of results. We are thinking that we might go to a more passive approach in 10 years or so. Our objective is to get our SWR below 3%.

But in answer to your original post, if the individual stocks are not beating the indicies after deducting MERs and trading costs then why take on the extra effort? Unless there is a tax deferral advantage.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2007, 02:31 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
But in answer to your original post, if the individual stocks are not beating the indicies after deducting MERs and trading costs then why take on the extra effort? Unless there is a tax deferral advantage.
Hormones.

heh heh heh

Old 08-25-2007, 05:07 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Doesn't Warren Buffet say to go into index funds as an investor?
Old 08-25-2007, 06:54 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Active Investors - Index Funds Advisors, Inc.

"Warren Buffet stated in a February 1996 investment letter to his Berkshire Hathaway shareholders: “…the best way to own common stocks is through index funds….” In his 1997 letter he writes: “Let me add a few thoughts about your own investments. Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. Those following this path are sure to beat the net results (after fees and expenses) delivered by the great majority of investment professionals.” In February 2003 he gave this advice to investors in his shareholder letter: “…those index funds that are very low cost (such as Vanguard’s) are investor friendly by definition and are the best selection for most of those who wish to own equities. And, his February 2004 letter states: “Over the [past] 35 years, American business has delivered terrific results. It should therefore have been easy for investors to earn juicy returns: All they had to do was piggyback corporate America in a diversified, low-expense way. An index fund that they never touched would have done the job. Instead many investors have had experiences ranging from mediocre to disastrous.”
Old 08-25-2007, 09:37 AM   #25

I am retired 1 year, and 100% in individual stocks, generally holding about 6 - 15
at any time. I find analyzing companies and investing to be relaxing enough to qualify
as a hobby for me, and I would not have been able to retire last year without the
results obtained. However, I always recommend index funds to my friends because
none of them are really interested in doing this, and it sounds like the fun is gone for
you also. It really comes down to what lets you sleep best at night.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
I am retired 1 year, and 100% in individual stocks, generally holding about 6 - 15
at any time. I find analyzing companies and investing to be relaxing enough to qualify
as a hobby for me, and I would not have been able to retire last year without the
results obtained. However, I always recommend index funds to my friends because
none of them are really interested in doing this, and it sounds like the fun is gone for
you also. It really comes down to what lets you sleep best at night.
VERY SOUND advice. I agree... many on this board are DIYers who love doing the analysis ...etc. but for those less inclined or those less knowledgeable, or just plain lazy (that's me ) then, IMO, index mutual funds are the easiest, least expensive and least risk way to invest.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:05 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

95% of my investments are in mutual funds and ETF's. The balance are in individual stocks. Yup.........hormones got the best of me too.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:41 AM   #28

After reading "The Intelligent Asset Allocator" and "The Four Pillars of Investing," I would only hold individual stocks in a fund that didn't count towards retirement (play money).

These are two of the core books always recommended on this board and I understood why after reading them. I wish I had read these books ago. I am pushing them at some of the younger (30's) folks at work. One person has already read the Four Pillars and her comment was "wow."