Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Getting a mortgage when ERed
Old 09-01-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Getting a mortgage when ERed

Since the subject comes up occasional I thought that I would post a link to this interesting article on getting a mortgage when early retired.

Getting a Mortgage When You Have Assets But No Income - Can I Retire Yet?

Quote:
Most early retirees have no pension, annuity, or Social Security income. Even if you’re a traditional retiree, you might have only one of those income streams. But what if your lifestyle plans require a home purchase? Even if you have the savings to afford a house, you might not necessarily be able to liquidate enough of those assets quickly in a tax efficient manner. So you’ll need a mortgage. But most conventional mortgage loans are based on income. If you can’t show income, how do you go about getting a mortgage?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I posted this on the other thread with similar title. This process looks similar to the one in your link.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.kipli...-mortgage.html
Old 09-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

jazz, is that other thread recent? I tried to find a recent thread on the subject to post the link to to reduce thread proliferation but could not find one.

If it is recent, then mods, please combine the threads and accept my apologies.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
jazz, is that other thread recent? I tried to find a recent thread on the subject to post the link to to reduce thread proliferation but could not find one.

If it is recent, then mods, please combine the threads and accept my apologies.

I think it's from yesterday.

mortgage applications , rental applications

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ad.php?t=88271
Old 09-01-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought a winter home in AZ in March. Had no problems getting a small mortgage, put about 75% cash down. Have two pensions plus social security. Also had to show copies of all financial records. Could have paid 100% but didn't want to start raiding IRA's at age 65. No problem paying a small mortgage. Our main home is paid for.
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:18 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Funny. Had a renter with high income that was always short on cash. Had another renter in between jobs with assets. Would rather someone who can manage money (lives on less than earned) vs risk of paycheck to paycheck
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:18 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

i was delaying taking social security at the time i put some feelers out .we may buy a co-op next year .

3 banks said it was a toss up as to whether we would be approved even though we have multiple 7 figures in investments .

asset based lending was just to uncompetitive .

but i did start social security last friday so now our income is a different story .
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:28 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I bought a rental property two years ago, while ERd. I just had to ask.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:34 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

it all depends on the amount of income you have not under your control like an investment portfolio would be . pension ,ss , annuity ,rental are all acceptable income to those who buy these mortgages from the banks .
Old 09-04-2017, 08:29 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I guess that is another potential benefit of doing Roth conversions, I have "pension income" shown on my tax return that I could legitimately use in financing.... my understanding is that some places would count it (since it is consistently on my tax return) and others would not since the amount varies and it is just moving money from one pocket to another.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:31 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

3 banks said they cannot count investment income since they can't do asset based lending .

they said i would have a better chance once social security was taken ,which it now is .
Old 09-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Would they count "pension" income that shows up as such on your tax return? If so, that would sweep in tax-deferred account withdrawals and Roth conversions.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:52 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Find a broker that understands agency guidelines. Banks, especially the large banks, tend not to do things beyond the easy loans.

I own an inherited property with a mortgage that Chase will not allow me to assume because I have more than four mortgages. By their rules, I don't qualify. By agency guidelines, I do qualify, but the bank is allowed a more restrictive overlay.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:59 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Find a broker that understands agency guidelines. Banks, especially the large banks, tend not to do things beyond the easy loans.
This. When dealing with large operations, most of the underwriting is done automatically, and with no "income", it will get tossed immediately. If you find a a mortgage company that does manual underwriting, it's a little easier; although you will probably look at an extra .25-.50 on the interest rate.

As far as rentals go, my DW w*rks for a fairly large RE firm and she runs the leasing department. They will allow for asset based rentals, but depending on credit score, you may have to pay 3+ months in advance. Of course, renting is a whole 'nother pile of beans compared to securing a mortgage.