Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Frank retired in conjunction with a big layoff today. He is old enough to qualify for retirement. After all the check-out procedures, and turning in his badge, the next step was for those laid off to go to the "transition center", across the street from work.

Representatives of the unemployment office and of megacorp were there to straighten out who was to get unemployment, and who was not. They will be looking at Frank's case, and at the case of everyone who is being laid off. Everything was out in the open and aboveboard and there is no way that he or anyone would get unemployment in any unethical way as far as I can figure out. Frank will find out more there tomorrow but the unemployment guys know that he is retiring, and I know he is not counting on unemployment.

The great thing about being laid off when retiring is not the unemployment - - it's the severance pay, the retention bonuses, and so on. These can be huge in a big layoff, because they don't want everyone to quit as soon as it is known that a layoff is in the works. Frank will not even need to touch his savings for quite some time. So who needs unemployment?
Well - I guess congratulations are in order! What convenient timing! And to get a "bonus" for retiring - I wish I had gotten one!

And how spooky that it coincides with this thread!

Audrey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2010, 09:18 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

The great thing about being laid off when retiring is not the unemployment - - it's the severance pay, the retention bonuses, and so on. These can be huge in a big layoff, because they don't want everyone to quit as soon as it is known that a layoff is in the works.
This is what I'm hoping for, but I'm not holding my breath, since I wasn't nearly old enough to qualify for it, and it doesn't look like another one is coming.

I can see where the OP is coming from, I'd like to leave with something more in my pocket, but I don't feel right about trying for unemployment.

I suppose the way I ought to look at it is that another 3 or 6 months pay really doesn't add that much to my net worth (especially if it was based on my part-time salary) rather than feeling cheating by leaving empty. I just haven't had anything else pushing me out, though I'm starting to understand more and more that even telecommuting with flexible part-time hours, I'm not really free.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #63
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well - I guess congratulations are in order! What convenient timing! And to get a "bonus" for retiring - I wish I had gotten one!

And how spooky that it coincides with this thread!

Audrey
Thank you!!

I thought so too, especially since I had just posted about his retirement over in the "what did you do today" thread, and then I first noticed this thread!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
But hey, I'm an old dinosaur who still comes to attention and stops talking when the national anthem is played prior to the start of a ball game...
What is this "going to a ball game" you refer to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Again, there is a difference between what is legal and what is moral, and I see a lot of hiding behind legality and denial of morality.
No wonder this country is so f&($ed up.
I think OP has tapped into a vein of resentment where employees feel obligated to show just as much consideration and loyalty to their employers as their employers have shown to them...

Otherwise Scott Adams would be collecting unemployment "benefits".

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Is COBRA an issue for you
Old 02-26-2010, 01:38 AM   #65
Dryer sheet wannabe

Is COBRA an issue for you

This adds to the moral dilemma for those "choosing" lay-off, but its important to know that the Jobs Bill just passed extends COBRA for health insurance for laid off workers, and subsidizes the worker's payment too. IIRC, the govt pays the COBRA premium in excess of around $400 up to 18 months. That can be a lot of money for someone laid-off/retiring before Medicare age.

The other issue I didn't see mentioned is that one pays into unemployment "insurance" while working. If one hasn't used it, chances are they've paid in a substantial amount by retirement age. I've never been unemployed since college; I hate to think how much unemployment I've paid in over 40+ years, even though I know I'm lucky to never have needed it.

One way or another, anyone holding a job is displacing someone looking for work and that's little different from voluntary unemployment thats consuming benefits someone else may need. I've had many hourly workers who would routinely volunteer for (or start goofing off to accelerate) lay-off as soon they accrued enough unemployment to get benefits.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I were almost ready to ER, but a package and layoff might make retirement possible, I'm not sure I'm convinced that the unemployment insurance and COBRA package isn't being used appropriately. In the absence of a package, the worker would have remained on the job. Even if they are not so desperate for work that they will take just anything, in part they gave up their current employment (became unemployed) as part of an actual layoff. Maybe these "packages" need to be more explicit about what is and isn't included. When I was laid-off, HR was very excited to show me all the unemployment compensation and COBRA subsidy I could expect as part of my "package"

(Which as it turns out I got none of, since I found work the very next day. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.)
Old 02-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWPC View Post
The other issue I didn't see mentioned is that one pays into unemployment "insurance" while working. If one hasn't used it, chances are they've paid in a substantial amount by retirement age. I've never been unemployed since college; I hate to think how much unemployment I've paid in over 40+ years, even though I know I'm lucky to never have needed it.
I thought employers, not employees, were taxed for unemployment insurance. Is that not correct?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I thought employers, not employees, were taxed for unemployment insurance. Is that not correct?
I believe that is correct, but my employer has no problem showing us every year at the annual meeting "UI insurance benefit" as a cost of employment for each employee in terms of our total benefits package.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

I rushed immediately to this topic when I saw the first two words....
turned out this is not exactly what I originally thought.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWPC View Post
This adds to the moral dilemma for those "choosing" lay-off, but its important to know that the Jobs Bill just passed extends COBRA for health insurance for laid off workers, and subsidizes the worker's payment too. IIRC, the govt pays your former employer pays the COBRA premium in excess of around $400 up to 18 months. That can be a lot of money for someone laid-off/retiring before Medicare age.

The other issue I didn't see mentioned is that one your employer pays into unemployment "insurance" while working. If one hasn't used it, chances are they've their employer paid in a substantial amount by retirement age. I've never been unemployed since college; I hate to think how much unemployment I've my employer paid in over 40+ years, even though I know I'm lucky to never have needed it.

One way or another, anyone holding a job is displacing someone looking for work and that's little different from voluntary unemployment thats consuming benefits someone else may need. I've had many hourly workers who would routinely volunteer for (or start goofing off to accelerate) lay-off as soon they accrued enough unemployment to get benefits.

Here... let me fix that for you....
Old 02-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #71

Quote:
Depends on the state. IIRC, when I lived in California there was a payroll tax on the order of 1%, so in some places there's at least a partial *direct* employee contribution (knowing, of course, that any taxes employers pay are a hidden part of an employee's overall "compensation" or cost to hire).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #72

Was told the bus drivers in our school district collect UI during the summer.

Talk about scamming the system!
Old 02-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #73

Don't count on doing a lousy job and being canned right away. We have a useless, self-styled "community manager". Translation: He answers 20 emails from 12 year olds, clean his email box of spam, surf the net for two hours in the morning before proceeding to watch Hulu for the next 6 hours every day. He nonetheless manages to blow a lot of smoke to waste people's time so that it would appear that he is productive. Despite not having done a lick of work for the past 2.5 years, he is still with the company because his buddy hired him and the big boss wanted to protect him. Meanwhile, a productive user interface designer was let go because he refused to move out to the West Coast. So if your plan is to stop working, you may have to wait a long time before you get laid off.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Employees ultimately pay for everything. Whether in taxes, or as consumers thru increased prices or reduced value for goods and services. It amazes me that anyone thinks employers pay in the end...we all pay.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote