Getting off on the right foot

ferco

Recycles dryer sheets
For those who have ER'd...What are some of the do's and don'ts the first week, the first month and the first year of ER? Was there the temptation to occasionally go back and get a little more cash from the work world?

Ferco

Don't make any major decisions. Don't buy anything new. After six months you will be in a better position to understand what your new life is like. No desire for more cash. Focused on budget and portfolio returns. Cancelled extra credit cards. Reviewed banking for excess charges.

I'll second that. Year one is adjustment year. Stick to your budget and don't look back at the job. I have to admit that in the beginning it felt funny living off of dividends and interest and not seeing that paycheck but I got over that fast. it feels great not having to hit it 40 or more hours per week. Going into year two of FIRE I am confident in our plan and will relax. So long as we stick to our road map (budget) we will do just fine.

My favorite suggestion is to ditch the clocks and watches. Sleep when tired and waken naturally. Rest and relax for a while. Read good books and get reacquainted with friends and family. DO NOT overschedule activities or travel. Learn to be good to yourself at the grocery store and in food preparation. Eat well but not richly. Walk and enjoy mother nature when she is not so crowded. Calm and peace come over the first few months. Treat yourself in healthy and relaxing ways.

Some excellent advice here, especially Connie's ! Read it twice, no three time !

For me, I knew ER was coming about 4 months a head of time (but only 4 months, because of corporate issues) and I still wasn't ready for this "change of lifestyle". It's all in your head !

I guess I would say, "Plan Your Day". If you don't plan it, the day will be over and you will not have accomplished anything !!

You are getting some wise replies.

It took me a full 6 months just to decompress - to get over the shell shock from a stressful, demanding job.

Then I started to kind of get my bearings. It was a gradual process.

It really took me 18 months before I felt I had finally "hit my stride" in retirement.

So definitely give yourself loads of time and don't push yourself initially. You need time to "heal". I honestly did not end up doing many of the things I thought I would do once retired, so very I'm glad I didn't move or make any major investments in something in anticipation of retiring.

For the first week and month - definitely pretend you are on vacation and goof off!

Audrey

P.S. If you feel inspired to get in shape and/or upgrade your health and eating habits, that's definitely a good thing to focus on the first year, and gives your brain/dreams a chance to catch up to your new situation.

I went through a 6 month stretch where I refused to do anything by rules or on schedule. That was basically not physically/mentally healthy.

Have since built a personal eating, exercise, cleaning... schedule.

For those who have ER'd...What are some of the do's and don'ts the first week, the first month and the first year of ER? Was there the temptation to occasionally go back and get a little more cash from the work world?

Ferco
Do whatever you want.

Don't make too much of your first week, month or year. You have time to get it right.

If something is making you uncomfortable or unahappy, eliminate it.

If you want to go back and get a little more cash from the work world, do it.

If you find out you don't like it, don't do it again.

If you do like it, do it some more.

Don't let a bunch of miscreant internet posters who couldn't stand working for a living influence what you really want to do.

Retirement is about choices. You can choose recreation, leisure, self-improvement, learning, or travel. You can choose to sleep all day, to work part time or start a new career. If you change your mind, retirement offers you the freedom to choose something else. More choices bring excitement and anticipation to your life. Why eliminate any of those choices until you decide to? :)

Thanks for all the posts! I'd think after spending the first couple of days sleeping late w/o having an agenda and blowing a "couple of dollars" (literally) on splurges you settle down by week 2 to some sort of peaceful existence and get your wits about you....and move on. I wouldn't think that one fundamentally changes from the mannerisms that got you to ER. You I think develop a new circle of ER friends since most of your working buddies aren't available during the day, except perhaps for lunch encounters.

Yep, just be loose and have a good time. Dont do anything major. At some point you'll want to re-run all your financial scenario's and calculators ad nauseum until you are fully comfortable that its all real.

After a few months the feeling that someones going to knock on your door and tell you that theres been some sort of accounting mistake and you dont really have all that money will go away.

But then again, my first act as an ER was a shot of tequila at 10:00 in the morning. ;)

Never had an urge to get more cash from the working world.

Back
Top Bottom