Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2016, 08:01 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu007 View Post
I have made a hobbies of film photography and Super 8 film moviemaking.
Unfortunately, the $$$ required for keeping BOTH of these related pursuits and working towards FIRE do not make sense or add up, based on my projected income until and after retirement.
I can keep doing still film photography and achieve my financial goals, but I have to let the Super 8 film goals go. Going to sell the S8 equipment.
I am very sad about that.
What dreams did you have to give up to retire on track?
None.

"very sad"? Whew. That's rugged. You know, if you just aren't quite ready to retire, that is not a crime. It's OK if you wait. And moreover, it's completely OK to just continue to work every day until the day you die if that is what will make you happy. I don't think you should retire at all if it is going to make you feel very sad.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 09:05 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Daytrading.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:42 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did some traveling when I was younger and honestly I prefer to just watch a tv show on the cool places I'm in interested instead of go there myself (egyptian pyramids, ancient greece/rome, ancient monoliths, etc). I highly value being able to sleep in my own bed, and I do not enjoy the act of traveling (long time sitting in a cramped car/plane).

For food I believe I can make any dish I like just as well as anybody else. The only problem I have is the time to do it. So if I were retired I'd make my own fancy food.

I don't care at all about impressing other people (unless it impacts my employment). So I don't do much expensive consumerism, and would do even less in retirement.

When I think about my life time dreams, its just to be healthy. Own a small house. Have a pet dog, and spend my time on my hobbies every day (mostly just reading, watching movies, and playing video games).
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post

Now THAT is a neat toy to play with!
Old 08-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's not exactly giving up a dream but I have always bought inexpensive cars and kept them a long time, and also only bought as much house as we needed, not what we could technically afford.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
I did some traveling when I was younger and honestly I prefer to just watch a tv show on the cool places I'm in interested instead of go there myself (egyptian pyramids, ancient greece/rome, ancient monoliths, etc). I highly value being able to sleep in my own bed, and I do not enjoy the act of traveling (long time sitting in a cramped car/plane).

For food I believe I can make any dish I like just as well as anybody else. The only problem I have is the time to do it. So if I were retired I'd make my own fancy food.

I don't care at all about impressing other people (unless it impacts my employment). So I don't do much expensive consumerism, and would do even less in retirement.

When I think about my life time dreams, its just to be healthy. Own a small house. Have a pet dog, and spend my time on my hobbies every day (mostly just reading, watching movies, and playing video games).
Those choices will allow a much earlier retirement for you, good luck and enjoy
highlow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
It's not exactly giving up a dream but I have always bought inexpensive cars and kept them a long time, and also only bought as much house as we needed, not what we could technically afford.
+1 if there is one thing that allowed me to retire early it was inexpensive cars and houses that could be financed with one paycheck. OK, maybe that's two things.

Sent from my K01A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:11 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I have been very fortunate in not having to give up many of my dreams. I finally got to fly a B-25...

You just had to go there, didn't you! I, too, have realized many of my dreams. But of those remaining, I'd likely trade more than a few for one experience like that. Congrats!
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:34 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I would have to say airplane ownership. It could be a big old pain in the arse at times and certainly wasn't cheap...but it was cool and the freedom it afforded was awesome. Nothing like hopping in the airplane to go have fresh seafood on the coast or go a fly-in on a Saturday morning. When we lived in Texas, we would often fly to Oklahoma to visit the DW's family on the weekends. It took 1/2 the time than driving would and it was always satisfying to "look down" on all the folks stuck in traffic on a Friday afternoon! It was definitely something on my life's bucket list, but to be an early retiree, it was a no-go.

Oddly enough, since selling the airplane, I have done very little flying and don't seem to miss it too much.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Gave up half a shabby, shared cube in a windowless basement office building, a boss who thought I worked for the company 24/7 and was open to new assignments / unannounced travel over the weekend and a company that was facing impending bankruptcy.

But now, after almost 10 years, I've gotten over the sacrifice.
Love this! This is almost exactly the sacrifice I'm looking forward to making sooner than later.
mistershankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I don't believe in "giving up" dreams except for big changes in circumstances (change in health, dramatic reversal of fortune, change in family situation - such as invalid spouse, etc.) If "cost" is the only issue, I'd find a way if it is that important. OP might find a way to make a little money at his passion (super 8 photography). Otherwise, there is always One-More-Year. Maybe that is hearsay in these circles, but some dreams (your passion) are more important than your goal (ER at date-certain). Decide what is most important and find a way to get it. Be willing to give up the less important to indulge your passion. By the way, I envy those with a passion. I wish I had more things I was passionate about!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:30 PM   #32

FIRE itself is a dream, isn't it?

You make tradeoffs in life on which dreams are more important......
FIREmenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
FIRE itself is a dream, isn't it?

You make tradeoffs in life on which dreams are more important......
I agree with you completely. I personally have more wants than lot of people but I can afford them. If I couldn't afford them i would be willing to compromise on what is more important.
highlow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #34

I wanted a small single family home in Central Oregon with a view of the snow covered Cascades and the surrounding pine trees from my back deck or at least a short walk to the river trail. A nice part of town and hardwood floors and updated kitchen and baths. Close to the amenities offered by the mountain resort town. That was possible in 2011 but the current reality is that this home would cost more than $500K if I could even find it - most of these homes are in neighborhoods where houses are 2500 SF or larger and cost more.

So I'll rent at first and then decide on a compromise that fits my budget. Perhaps a less desirable neighborhood, a nearby bedroom community among the Junipers that I am allergic to, no mountain view, etc. Or perhaps the market will change or I'll bite the bullet and take out a mortgage. Either way I'm retiring at 62 as I'm getting too old to put up with this job.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:06 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm no stranger to compromise, but why would you live among the junipers that you're allergic to?
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:04 PM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We're considering buying a 40' boat to travel and spend some time on. Not sure yet if we want the added expenses but I've always wanted to do this. Only problem is it will consume all of our travel budget.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Buy the boat (a long used one in good shape), have fun and if it don't work sell it for not much less than you bought it for.

I've done that 4 times, it works -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:48 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm an "amateur musician', but in my younger years, was seriously considering trying to make a living at it, both performing and teaching. But as much as I love doing that, even as early as my mid-20's, I realized that it was going to be a hard life, and without much security in terms of retirement, health insurance, or even a consistent income stream. So I went back to school and got a computer science degree, and have been working in IT for the past 30+ years. It's allowed me to keep playing music on the side, although I sometimes wonder what might have been if I had chosen to "follow my Muse". On the other hand, I'll be FIRE'ing at the end of this year (at 60), and am looking forward to have more time to devote to my music then, without having to worry about how to make a living at it.
merlin3942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3942 View Post
I'm an "amateur musician', but in my younger years, was seriously considering trying to make a living at it, both performing and teaching. But as much as I love doing that, even as early as my mid-20's, I realized that it was going to be a hard life, and without much security in terms of retirement, health insurance, or even a consistent income stream. So I went back to school and got a computer science degree, and have been working in IT for the past 30+ years. It's allowed me to keep playing music on the side, although I sometimes wonder what might have been if I had chosen to "follow my Muse". On the other hand, I'll be FIRE'ing at the end of this year (at 60), and am looking forward to have more time to devote to my music then, without having to worry about how to make a living at it.
Good luck! If you can get in with (or have good contacts with already) a good group of people then the music can really take off. It has taken me a while to crack the DC area music world, but some connections are starting to happen and I'm starting to get some gigs. Hope things go well for you.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote