Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-24-2016, 08:46 AM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
My resting pulse is in the low to mid-30's (it's 31 right now).
Your heart beats once every two seconds?!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2016, 09:12 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Each to his own, I suppose. How about I'll call you "old turnip-top"* and you'll get half the "badge."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
LOL, I always considered the term old fart as a badge of honor.
*reference to Lewis Carroll's Phantasmagoria

Old 03-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #103
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
(Note: I hate the way some people use fecal terminology - farts, poops, etc. - to refer to older people).
This is why I prefer to say I was born during the post WWII Baby Boom, rather than saying I'm a "boomer". To me that is a fecal term and a pretty gross way to refer to a whole generation.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm....I never thought of it that way. "Boomer," to me, is a ballistic-missile-equipped submarine (what a strange way to refer to 20 years' worth of births).

Still, I dislike all generational labels, stereotypes of any sort, and euphemisms related to age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
saying I'm a "boomer". To me that is a fecal term .
Old 03-24-2016, 10:19 AM   #105

Wait, "Boomer" is a fecal term?
And here I thought with an older brother that I'd gotten to hear every single possible term that could be used to describe body function.
Who knew?
That will make me snicker like a teenager the next time I hear the term on tv and associate it with, you know...

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Some while back (after checking urbandictionary.com once too often) I concluded that there may not be a single English word, over 2 letters long, that does not - either in the U.S. or the UK - embody a slang term for male genitals, female genitals, sex, or poop.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
And here I thought with an older brother that I'd gotten to hear every single possible term that could be used to describe body function.
Who knew?
That will make me snicker like a teenager the next time I hear the term on tv and associate it with, you know...
Old 03-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #107
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Nor to a bunch of younger ones, ragging on Oldpeople. Until you have walked in older people's shoes, you have no right to make assumptions about them. And there is no way to walk in older people's shoes (metaphorically speaking - not their actual shoes!) other than by growing old yourself.

(Note: I hate the way some people use fecal terminology - farts, poops, etc. - to refer to older people).
I view people who should know better who complain about younger generations as old farts, period. As a boomer, I have walked a mile in and with older people's shoes, and as I stated above, have been embarrassed by my own generation for about half my life (flower power/the me generation/disco/self-help movement/perhaps the biggest chill in the history of mankind/yuppies/power ties/shoulder pads/big hair...and now...bucket lists...egad). OTOH, I personally have the greatest respect for members of the silent generation, and would never think of using fecal terminology to refer to them.

Those who criticize younger generations are incapable of embracing change--one of the worst things you can do as you age.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:45 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Aw heck. I like disco.

And my hair is/was naturally "big." It is that Irish curliness, doncha know. It is a little thinner now that it's turned gray, but still dominates any description of me ("the lady with the hair").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
I have been embarrassed by my own generation for about half my life (flower power/the me generation/disco/self-help movement/perhaps the biggest chill in the history of mankind/yuppies/power ties/shoulder pads/big hair...and now...bucket lists...egad). .
Old 03-24-2016, 10:46 AM   #109

Quote:
Some while back (after checking urbandictionary.com once too often) ....
Amethyst
You are more diligent than me. Just a few trips to that site were more than sufficient!
Old 03-24-2016, 10:53 AM   #110

Quote:
Each to his own, I suppose. How about I'll call you "old turnip-top"* and you'll get half the "badge."

*reference to Lewis Carroll's Phantasmagoria
Thats fine, I am not very thin skinned in my old age, so call me whatever.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:59 AM   #111

Quote:
Aw heck. I like disco.
Me too. I never said I didn't embarrass myself.

Perhaps instead of avoiding seeing the value in what new generations bring to the table, it would be more valuable to look at what growing older could bring:

Embracing the Japanese Approach to Aging – Next Avenue

Quote:
In Japan, the transition to retirement from a period focused on work and family often includes a re-evaluation of life's purpose. And older Japanese adults seem to rely on a different compass to assess their identity and social roles, says Yoshiko Matsumoto, a linguistics professor at Stanford University and the author of Faces of Aging: The Lived Experiences of the Elderly in Japan.

"Older people in Japan do seek to be useful," Matsumoto says. "But they base their idea of being useful on their life purpose, or 'ikigai.' It guides why they do what they do each day, from exercise to social engagement to productive contributions and engagement with their families and society."
As Louise Hay says, "each age is perfect."
Old 03-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #112
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
well let me tell you about MY generation... uphill, both directions, through a blizzard, in the dark...that's how we got to and from school.

Nowadays, the Denali's and mini-vans are parked at the bus-stop 1/2 a block away from their home, heat blaring, gas guzzling away.
But you didn't take into account that the Denali's and minivans drove uphill, both ways, through a blizzard, in the dark, and the driver was barefoot. :-D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 03-24-2016, 12:38 PM   #113

Dunno about "boomer", but "boom-boom" is a fecal term. That's what Edith Bunker used to called it.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:54 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Dunno about "boomer", but "boom-boom" is a fecal term. That's what Edith Bunker used to called it.
In All in the Family, "boom boom" was the nickname for Mildred Turner, a buxom waitress who worked at Kelsey's/Archie's bar for a while. I believe Edith once called her that, too.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:48 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Well, since you don't mind being called after something smelly and full of germs, how about Old Petri Dish? Old Unwashed Jockstrap? Old Doggie Chew Toy?

Somehow, someone who objects to being nicknamed after intestinal gas and fecal material just doesn't strike me as being within the realm of "thin-skinned."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Thats fine, I am not very thin skinned in my old age, so call me whatever.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:17 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Well, of all the comments on this thread, the only one I see as worth responding to is the mistaken credit to The Who for Young Man Blues. It's a Mose Allison song.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:26 PM   #117

Quote:
..... embody a slang term for male genitals, female genitals, sex, or poop.
Amethyst
When you combine the above four things, it can make for a special moment (or so I've heard).
Old 03-24-2016, 06:36 PM   #118

Quote:

Somehow, someone who objects to being nicknamed after intestinal gas and fecal material just doesn't strike me as being within the realm of "thin-skinned."
I'm not sure I understand that logic, but if you feel you are indeed thick skinned, I do not object.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Who knew?
Sarah - you crack me up!
Old 03-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #120
Moderator Emeritus

a. I actually have a picture of my sweet mother as a little girl, barefoot, walking to school.
b. You can double-entendre any sentence by saying "that's what she said" in response. try it. Rimshots are good too.
c. Gen Xers are the ones who should be complaining--the boomers kept working in the good jobs and the Xers ended up underemployed living in their parents' basement.