Join Early Retirement Today

Glitch with VG website
Old 01-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Glitch with VG website

I tried to buy a new fund using my VG account, and the order never showed up on my Order Status, so I called VG and the 2nd tier looked into it and told me that once you have 25 funds in your accounts (across your tIRA, Roth IRA, after tax accounts), when you try to buy a new fund, it rejects it in the back end, but it won’t even tell you the order was rejected. You will even get a confirmation number like a normal transaction. the order will just sit there forever in the rejected state, until you call VG to get the order go through manually. Is this for real Did I get a bad representative who told me this crazy lie? 1/2 of my funds have $0 in them, but that doesn't seem to matter. I wonder if they can remove these funds from my accounts…. I realize VG wants you to have just a handful of funds, but boy, do they have to enforce it this way??
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
gone traveling

I've often wondered why VG funds I've sold off long ago remain on my account page with a $0 balance. I've had the page settings set to "Hide accounts with Zero Balance" for as long as I can remember so they didn't clutter up my screen.

I just logged in and unchecked that box, all those old account reappeared on my account screen. I added them up and they come to a total of 20, so I haven't experienced a lock-out at 25 like you did.

Please be sure and post back how you were able to get the old accounts removed if you find out there is a way?
LakeTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

They are allegedly in process of merging fund and brokerage accounts into one account. I wonder if that migration will remedy this 25 funds issue.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I had that issue awhile back when I opened another account...

However, I did not get through the process.... it stopped me somewhere in the middle and would not do anything....

A call to them fixed the problem quickly... I do not know how many I have... like others I have a number of zero accounts...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

yea, I have about 8 zero accounts...funds I sold more than 6 months ago still show up in account. Guess they think I'm going to add money back eventually!
comicbookgujy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I just checked and I only have 3 zero balance accounts....

So, at some time they do get rid of them.... I have a few guesses....

One, they keep all records for 7 years... that seems to be some magic number for record keeping...

Two, they keep them for 5 years.... they seem to show info for the past 5 years....

Three, they keep them for 10 years.... you can look at transactions for the past 10 years....

However, I did convert some regular to admiral shares a few years back and those regular accounts are not there anymore.... so all my guesses are probably wrong....
Old 01-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I just checked my VG accounts. I used to have an account called tmm, and now after this fiasco, my tmm account is gone, but I now have accounts called tmm-1 and tmm-2! (tmm2 consists of the new fund I attempted to add but failed to that VG hand to manually add...) Why are they doing this to me... ARGH.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I just checked and I only have 3 zero balance accounts....

So, at some time they do get rid of them.... I have a few guesses....

One, they keep all records for 7 years... that seems to be some magic number for record keeping...

Two, they keep them for 5 years.... they seem to show info for the past 5 years....

Three, they keep them for 10 years.... you can look at transactions for the past 10 years....

However, I did convert some regular to admiral shares a few years back and those regular accounts are not there anymore.... so all my guesses are probably wrong....
That's correct, funds with zero balances will eventually disappear. Based on my records, it looks like it takes 1-2 years.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Oh how silly. Feel sorry for folks that hit this defect. I would report it to Vanguard. Sounds like they know about it, maybe it costs big bucks to fix.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Oh how silly. Feel sorry for folks that hit this defect. I would report it to Vanguard. Sounds like they know about it, maybe it costs big bucks to fix.
MRG

I do not think it is a defect.... I think it is a planned number.... they do not want people opening up a lot of small accounts... I bet if you hit 25 with a small total they would not add any extra... large accounts they are OK with...
Old 01-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
told me that once you have 25 funds in your accounts (
Wow that's a lot of funds. Just sayin...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
VG Glitch
Old 01-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

VG Glitch

That can't be right...I have well over 30 stocks and funds in my IRA account and that isn't counting the other purchases in the Roth account. I would check back with them. It doesn't sound right... that's what brokerage accounts are for, to trade away-oh.
Livin Large in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:38 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin Large in MT View Post
That can't be right...I have well over 30 stocks and funds in my IRA account and that isn't counting the other purchases in the Roth account. I would check back with them. It doesn't sound right... that's what brokerage accounts are for, to trade away-oh.

Stocks in a brokerage account does not count... you can have as many as you want...

If you only have a brokerage account and buy ETFs, I bet you have only one account...
Old 02-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Vanguard has some very customer-unfriendly policies that sometimes make little sense. I wanted to change from dividend reinvest to deposit in a money market account. They wouldn't let me do that because the money market account had a zero balance. I kid you not, I had to transfer $1 into it (from outside VG since I don't keep any cash there) in order to switch the dividend reinvestment.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote