Join Early Retirement Today

Global diversification and portfolio survival
Old 06-13-2005, 12:04 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Global diversification and portfolio survival

An interesting study:

http://www.journalofindexes.com/cont...hp?id=535&np=0

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Global diversification and portfolio survival
Old 06-13-2005, 12:09 PM   #2

Nice article thanks for sharing

Old 06-13-2005, 01:16 PM   #3

The article tends to favor global diversification - not a surprise. I am surprised that a 100% equity portfolio has a better survival rate at 4% withdrawl.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
The article tends to favor global diversification - not a surprise. I am surprised that a 100% equity portfolio has a better survival rate at 4% withdrawl.
Interesting study, Ronin, thanks. Maybe it's my confirmation bias, but IMO this graph bears repeating.

Note that the 100% equities/0% fixed income portfolio is on the left, shifting in increments to 0% equities/100% fixed income on the right. I've edited the following two paragraphs to focus on Fig 4's 40-year period. There's actually four separate graphs in the paper switching among 30-40 year periods and 4-5% "S"WRs.

"In the following figures, we chart the percentage of [a] rolling... 40-year period that supported inflation-adjusted withdrawal rates of 4 percent... for two different portfolio types and six different portfolio allocations. The two portfolio types are a U.S.-only portfolio and a globally diversified portfolio. The six different allocations are 100 percent equity, 80 percent equity/20 percent fixed income, 60 percent equity/40 percent fixed income, 40 percent equity/60 percent fixed income, 20 percent equity/80 percent fixed income and 100 percent fixed income."

"Figure 24 shows the percentage success rates for each of the two portfolio types and six different allocations over rolling [40]-year periods with an inflation-adjusted withdrawal rate of 4 percent."

Of course these success rates don't reflect volatility, but those details are in the study as well.

Attached Images
File Type: gif drawing_down04.gif (5.7 KB, 134 views)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:01 PM   #5

Great article, and as he mentions in a footnote, he doesn't know of any other studies, besides a Cooley Hubbard Study which used Monte Carlo analysis (fake history with no regression to mean in the data series, in other words), which looks at international diversification's effect on portfolio survivability frrom withdrawals.

So this makes me feel good, even though it shows how 60% stocks fare much better than 40% stocks over 40 years (as in the graph above) even though at 30 years the 40% stock portfolios look essentially the same as the 60% ones. which is to say, terrific (Table 2 in the paper).

Now to hunt down some of these new international data series, then try to get some value and small tilts figured into them....

Thanks, Ronin!
Old 06-14-2005, 06:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob

Now to hunt down some of these new international data series, then try to get some value and small tilts figured into them....

Thanks, Ronin!
Good idea Ronin. Got me thinking. All I own internationally is VEURX (about 5% of port.). I figured it was an easy decision to pick up the Euro position and ignore the Asia markes for awhile. Time to take another look. Thanks, Ronin!

BUM
Old 06-14-2005, 06:59 AM   #7

Ive seen similar research time and time again, add this one to the mix.* Yeah (i think) 5% is too low.* The figures i've heard is that one should choose between 15% and 40% for "international" exposure, the lower end of that scale being for the more risk adverse, and the higher end being for those who are out to maximize return. This is a global economy we're in today. To place one's money solely in one country is way too risky IMHO, and that would include the U.S.

I think i'm at about 25% for international in my portfolio at the moment (stocks/bonds included)
Old 06-14-2005, 07:15 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Am I reading this right that the period used is 40 years? Long run. Applies to me as I'll probably be around for 40 years but I wonder what the #'s are for a 20 year slice.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:00 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On this subject, a fellow name of Less Antman (one link is through Andrew Tobias' web site) has the following to say:

http://p207.ezboard.com/fpersonalfin...icID=109.topic

Several points there:
* He sees social security as a bond-type investment, so that your other, outside investments can reasonably be 100% equities.
* He likes his equities to be 50/50 US/international, and
* 5 years of cash flow in TIPS.
* If one is using a mechanical safe withdrawal rate adjusted for inflation, he does not recommend more than 4%.
* However, he prefers a straight 5% withdrawal (5% of the balance each year) not adjusted for inflation and let the withdrawal go up and down with the market. He says that everything depends on how long we think we will live, but that is only a guess, so plan to enjoy yourself.
* He doesn't think much of safe withdrawal calculators, but that FIRE calc is the best of the lot.

It is an interesting forum, worth spending some time digging around in.

Cheers,

Gypsy
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:27 AM   #10

Less is recomending all equity portfolio for pretty much everyone (with social security). What if you do not want to rely on social security?
Old 06-15-2005, 12:30 PM   #11

The study I initially referenced varied the stock/bond ratio and the number of years (30/40) but uses only a fixed 70/30 or 100/0 US to foreign ratio for both stocks and bonds.* I would be interested in a 50/50 US to International comparison.* Might help with extrapolation.* Also I'd be interested in jiggling the amounts in foreign equities and bonds rather than either both 0% or both 30% foreign.* For example, what if you had 30% foreign equity, but 0%-25% or 35%-50% foreign bonds and visa versa with stock?* Seems like it would have been easy enough to do.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:22 PM   #12

Ronin,
It would all be possible if we could get the DMS international data into FireCalc. Wonder what Ibbotson would charge us for it? 105 years of data from 16 countries sounds awesome.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:50 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Ronin, have you read raddr's analysis of international diversification & SWR's?

http://raddr-pages.com/research/Inte...mprovesSWR.htm
Old 06-17-2005, 07:22 PM   #14

Thanks for the link.* It is informative re: equities.* At this point, my primary interest is in the bond side.* My personal model calls for 12% of my bond allocation in international, but I haven't funded it yet.* Having watched the last few years, I see it has run up tremendously, so I am hesitant at this point.* Clearly, it is largely a play on the dollar.* As such, it has a direct link to foreign equity performance (which I have).* I guess when I need to buff up my bond allocation, I'll start DCAing into foreign.