Join Early Retirement Today

Global Wellington and Wellsley funds
Old 10-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Global Wellington and Wellsley funds

Just got an email from Vanguard announcing these.

Real all-in-one approach that integrates global?

BTW anyone getting pestered to vote by VG? Emails and even a voice mail now.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
Administrator

Here's a recent thread on the new global funds http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...nds-88199.html
Does your email say they are open for business?

As for the proxy, I voted and am still getting pestered. What a pain ..

Edit to add - I just went to the Vanguard website and see they are open for business, effective today.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I too voted and have been receiving emails, voice Mail along with receiving via U. S. postal.
socaldonnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #4
Administrator

I voted and haven’t been pestered with emails or other reminders.

DW didn’t vote and someone called her and she voted over the phone there and then. We don’t have a cell phone registered with Vanguard so can’t get text messages.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
gone traveling

There's now an article on Yahoo Finance about Vanguards push for the Proxy Votes. Something about a proposal that apparently is controversial. Imagine that.
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Yeah I don't recall them pestering in previous years so maybe there's an "activist" shareholder demanding seats.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

More on the vote:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/19/reut...roxy-vote.html

No fight but there is one outside proposal.

Quote:
An additional proposal filed by activists calls on Vanguard to avoid shares in companies tied to genocide or human rights violations, reflecting how the infrequent meetings give internal critics a rare opportunity to speak up.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We were pestered, BUT we have many brokerage accounts, and most of them have some Vanguard ETF/fund within them.
So I understood the pestering as one brokerage was very very slow in sending out the information, and the login was different than Vanguard. It was a mailed notice, so it was a legit different site for voting.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:57 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, agree on the voting extraordinary pestering (but they don't have our phone #)

But can we get back on the thread topic, I for one am excited about the offering.
DanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Anyone got an opinion about the subject, "Global Wellington and Wellsley funds"?

- Skeptic
Skeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:19 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds like a great chance to get in on the ground floor of an exceptional opportunity.

Step right up.

Everyone's a winner, bargains galore. Act now, don't delay, the only investment you'll ever need. It's new, it's improved, it's old fashioned. Receive our free brochure.

C'mon, c'mon. Step right up. You got it buddy. The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:01 AM   #12

These funds would only add complexity to my portfolio. I keep my equities and fixed separate which makes rebalancing a breeze. Furthermore there is nothing about the funds and their domestic counterparts that can not be duplicated.
I would need about 10 years of results before investing so I guess I'm not a potential investor anyhow.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I guess it sounds good on paper if you want to get some foreign exposure.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

My philosophy is always to wait a while and see what happens. I do that for just about anything from the last new phone I bought to upgrading the OS on my computers. Let the other guys be on the bleeding edge. Some people enjoy the bragging rights.

I doubt the fund will close to new investors in the next few weeks or months. As much as I respect and like Vanguard, it is a new fund and thus has no history to show how reliable and profitable it might be or might not be.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mr Obvious here. Its true these funds have no track record but if they are managed by the same Wellington people that manage the domestic funds which do have a long sucessful track record then history speaks for itself. But hey if your not shopping & looking for change then thats a different story.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I am planning my December rebalancing, and my portfolio is now lopsidely heavy in domestic equities, and has no international bonds.

I need to add more international stocks, and more bonds (foreign and domestic)

I already hold VG Total Intl Stock, Total Stock, and Total Bond in my non-tax-advantaged accounts. Would you just add some Total Intl Bond to those (and in what proportions) to mimic the Global W&W funds?

Or is there a balanced fund (not W&W) that has international exposure in equities and bonds? Perhaps a "fund of index funds" with lower ER than the Global W&W?

Thanks.
BarbWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbWire View Post
I am planning my December rebalancing, and my portfolio is now lopsidely heavy in domestic equities, and has no international bonds.

I need to add more international stocks, and more bonds (foreign and domestic)

I already hold VG Total Intl Stock, Total Stock, and Total Bond in my non-tax-advantaged accounts. Would you just add some Total Intl Bond to those (and in what proportions) to mimic the Global W&W funds?

Or is there a balanced fund (not W&W) that has international exposure in equities and bonds? Perhaps a "fund of index funds" with lower ER than the Global W&W?

Thanks.
Have you looked at Vanguard's LifeStrategy Funds? There are 4 of them and they are different combinations of four index funds.

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares
Vanguard Total Bond Market II Index Fund Investor Shares
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Investor Shares
Vanguard Total International Bond Index Fund Investor Shares

The 4 LifeStrategy funds are -

Vanguard LifeStrategy Growth VASGX 80/20
Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate Growth VSMGX 60/40
Vanguard LifeStrategy Conservative Growth VSCGX 40/60
Vanguard LifeStrategy Income VASIX 20/80

The expense ratios are small ( .12- .15) and you get domestic and international.

I think the LifeStrategy name makes these sound like target retirement funds but they are not.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:42 PM   #18
Administrator

Here's a link to a Vanguard Institutional Investors page that discusses these funds. A nugget from the interview - investors should expect a 65% overlap with the Wellington and Wellesley funds. https://institutional.vanguard.com/V...lBalancedFunds
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:25 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Sounds like a great chance to get in on the ground floor of an exceptional opportunity.

Step right up.

Everyone's a winner, bargains galore. Act now, don't delay, the only investment you'll ever need. It's new, it's improved, it's old fashioned. Receive our free brochure.

C'mon, c'mon. Step right up. You got it buddy. The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

A Tom Waits reference - well played!
ears20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:58 PM   #20

I'm in for the Globsl Wellington fund, they are holding my $ and will began the fund Nov2nd. Its a risk I am willing to take. I expect VG will manage bonds and foreign stocks better than I can.