Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Gloom & Doom Pundits vs. the S&P 500 2010-2016
Old 08-10-2016, 07:22 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Gloom & Doom Pundits vs. the S&P 500 2010-2016

How well are the "Repent, the end is near!" market gurus doing? Take a look at this chart:

http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...s/pundits.jpeg
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2016, 07:27 AM   #2
Administrator

The only name I recognize on that chart is Bill Gross which I hope shows that I don't even know who the pundits are, let alone think about following their advice.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:35 AM   #3
gone traveling

I am surprised Hussman's name is not on that chart as another in the perma-bear club.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:48 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The world has been going to hell in a hand-basket for so long, you'd think we'd have gotten there by now. We really need to shape up, and step up our game........

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:58 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Finally! I've been waiting for someone, somewhere to call these "experts" on their claims!

Now, if we can get one for the 'rosy picture' experts!
Old 08-10-2016, 08:13 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

REWahoo, I hope some of our members look at that chart and take it to heart. I worry that people actually believe these idiots that try to persuade us that they are "experts" and actually know what is going to happen to the market.

They don't have the slightest clue, although they do know how to make investing sound scarier than sky-diving. It's just not that bad, even for scaredy cats like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
The world has been going to hell in a hand-basket for so long, you'd think we'd have gotten there by now. We really need to shape up, and step up our game........

I always wondered what a handbasket was, so I just Googled it and found out that it is one of those baskets with handles, like a picnic basket. I also found this graphic...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:45 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Don't know how anyone can predict even a few minutes into the future.

If they could then why bother with further out bets?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:51 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I don't know why these quacks even get enough coverage to make their bizarre views even narrowly known.

That said, with respect to Mr. Weidemer, you can say that he is consistent... 50% unemployment, 90% stock market crash and 100% inflation starting soon... but thankfully he is also consistently WRONG!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:02 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Don't know how anyone can predict even a few minutes into the future.
You're not kidding. It surprises me daily that the weather folks can determine when a hurricane is going to form and give us a good idea where it's going, but to tell me if it's going to rain tomorrow? Yeah, sorry they suck at that and The Farmer's Almanac does a better job. Just this week, we were "assured" that most areas would get up 4-6 inches of rain...I told my wife "LIES!" (just from my VERY basic understand weather from being in aviation). Then they said "2-3 inches" and now "up to an inch". They rely on too many models and they try to "pick" the one that seems most reasonable...and I don't think they really think through the "big picture" of what is going on.

I know...weather...has nothing to do with the topic. Well, it does, sort of. The folks that are all doom and gloom are just as bad at predicting it. And well, the fact of the matter is that bad news sells, so that's what they do.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

What amazes me about Weidemer is how he can be so wrong for so long and still continue to sell books like hot cakes. Consistently holding onto the 90% drop/50% unemployment seems way over-the-top to most of us, even making some of the other pundits' projections look bland. Yet his books seem to fly off the shelf at our local Barnes & Noble. Perhaps he figures one of these days he'll finally hit the big one and be seen for posterity as the one true prophet. Until then, just keep preaching/selling...
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAnchor View Post
Perhaps he figures one of these days he'll finally hit the big one and be seen for posterity as the one true prophet. Until then, just keep preaching/selling...
This is your answer....
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:42 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
You're not kidding. It surprises me daily that the weather folks can determine when a hurricane is going to form and give us a good idea where it's going, but to tell me if it's going to rain tomorrow? ....
My guess is that the weather is an easier problem then predicting where markets are going to go. Depends on a huge number of unknowns that might happen any time. And then that depends on millions of human reactions to those events. And I can be very accurate on the weather going out a few minutes but not on the market prices.

I have proven to myself that I cannot guess well which way the market is going in the next few minutes. Did this with real money when I wanted to switch from some ETFs to the same mutual funds. Had to sell the ETF just near the close and buy the fund. Wanted to pick a time when the ETF was going down somewhat or stable since the close price would basically be my fund buy price. After several trades to do this, I was basically down a little on the switches.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:05 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAnchor View Post
What amazes me about Weidemer is how he can be so wrong for so long and still continue to sell books like hot cakes. ...........
And, of course, if one really could predict the market, one would simply invest shrewdly and spend their days on the golf course instead of shilling books and giving seminars.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
You know these forecasters are faking it, because if they could accurately forcast the market, they would not bother to say, but simply borrow as much as they could and then leverage their prediction and become the richest person in the world.

I have an 80% confidence level in my prediction that within some 12 month period, the US stock market will drop over 45%. When it does I'll be able to write a book about my next prediction.

Well seems I'm a slow typer.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #15

Well, a wise man once said.......There are those that don't know and those that don't know that don't know.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I have an 80% confidence level in my prediction that within some 12 month period, the US stock market will drop over 45%. When it does I'll be able to write a book about my next prediction.

Well seems I'm a slow typer.
You need to write the book ahead of the event, otherwise, it's a history book.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

A stopped clock is correct twice a day.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
A stopped clock is correct twice a day.
And far, far more accurate than any of these guys.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Well, a wise man once said.......There are those that don't know and those that don't know that don't know.
Quote:
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
-- Attributed to Mark Twain, among several others. Someone surely said it first.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I am surprised Hussman's name is not on that chart as another in the perma-bear club.
I believe Hussman changed his approach, missing the second part of the recovery.

He basically now thinks that overvalued situations can persist as long as there is no event triggering a panic. So he expanded the model. Last I checked (a while ago) he's now in the "overvalued but no crash ahead" camp.

Whether it works dunno, but he's trying to learn from his mistakes and freely admits them.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote