Join Early Retirement Today

GM & Ford debt lowered to junk
Old 05-05-2005, 12:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

GM & Ford debt lowered to junk

JG, you have our deepest sympathies.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: GM & Ford debt lowered to junk
Old 05-05-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

I just came here to report the same thing* *

Are you watching the dow?* With ~3 hours left, today will be an interesting day to watch.... I wonder how the Asian markets will react.

Edit-

GM and Ford bonds are held by a lot of funds, and now that they have moved to 'junk' status, wont many of them will be required to divest of these below investment-grade funds?

Old 05-05-2005, 12:35 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That is correct. But the bigger outfits can shift it from their investment grade funds to their high yield or junk funds. I dont know any gains/tax implications of that to the individual investor though.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:23 PM   #4

Most mutual funds will shift them to high yield funds. Those that can't will find any excuse possible to hold them until the panic is over.

This isn't exactly news, it was a matter of when not if this was going to happen.

Any real trouble will come from the pension funds who have no choice but to dump these. They may just choose to bite the bullet and insure them until some calm hits the market.

Old 05-05-2005, 01:34 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

No, it's not a surprise, but it's still news. This will affect GM and Ford's abilities to offer low APR financing to customers which will probably hamper their future performance. Anyone have any idea when UAW will take a hint and ease up a bit on the automakers? The cost of medical will be the least of their concerns when they are totally out of a job....

You gotta admire Kerkorian and how well he pulled off his GM short-squeeze the other day... his plan worked perfectly.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:35 PM   #6

Captain Kirk & the Vegas style of investing
Old 05-05-2005, 01:56 PM   #7

I just hope it doesn't catch on... there is enough instability in the market as-is.* :P

The do-it-yourself short-squeeze kit (... or at least how I think it works)

1. Find a heavily shorted company
2. Purchase OTM call options
3. Announce your intent to buy an insane number of shares at a price above current market rates
4. Sell your newly ITM call options as short sellers scramble to cover their short positions drive up the share price.
5. Profit
Old 05-05-2005, 02:19 PM   #8

I'm a little bit suspicious that these companies want this to happen. Both are looking for an easy way out from under their pension obligations. They have 3 years left with an administration that seems willing to give away as much as possible to corporations and the rich. I think they want to declare a crisis and see how much bailout they can get before the country elects a new administration.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:34 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Dont be in a hurry,GM's problems arent even close to being resolved yet.Cant speak for GMAC but like i said earlier "birds of a feather..."Pension liability's are well known as is GM's $300+ billion in debt.Next on the docket will be its $50 billion shortfall in health care fund.so perhaps one more downgrade to come.I suspect if the airlines bailouts are any indication of free markets at work(oh havent you heard?,we(public $'s) own decent chunks in 3 or 4 crippled airlines).So one could expect a govt., bailout of GM as well .From what ive read GM's current labor contracts expire in '08 time frame.At a minimum there may be pension bailout and of course the obligatory bankruptcy proceedings.
No hurry hear,let things unfold--ak
Old 05-05-2005, 05:58 PM   #10

I'm not worried in the least. GM in Chapter 11?
I don't see it at ANY time. Even if it happened, we would sail
on relatively unscathed, ER -wise. "Junk bonds" don't scare
me either. But, I wouldn't put all my money there, nor should you.

JG
Old 05-05-2005, 06:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak4195
Dont be in a hurry,GM's problems arent even close to being resolved yet.Cant speak for GMAC but like i said earlier "birds of a feather..."Pension liability's are well known as is GM's $300+ billion in debt.Next on the docket will be its $50 billion shortfall in health care fund.so perhaps one more downgrade to come.I suspect if the airlines bailouts are any indication of free markets at work(oh havent you heard?,we(public $'s) own decent chunks in 3 or 4 crippled airlines).So one could expect a govt., bailout of GM as well .From what ive read GM's current labor contracts expire in '08 time frame.At a minimum there may be pension bailout and of course the obligatory bankruptcy proceedings.
* No hurry hear,let things unfold--ak
If you believe that any administration (present or future) would let
GM go belly up without a bailout...............well, you are living in
a different world than the one I occupy.

JG
Old 05-05-2005, 06:30 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
............well, you are living in
a different world than the one I occupy.JG
Isn't almost everyone?

Mikey
Old 05-05-2005, 07:09 PM   #13

True!
Old 05-05-2005, 07:56 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

2U,the point is not will they or wont they,the point is cheaper prices more than likely coming down the road,juicyness will get even more juicy.but with the debt load of $300billion and a market cap of a mere $16.6billion,hemorraging losses and more unfunded pension/health concerns ahead a default isnt out of the question.As a % of a diversified portfolio,no problem,but some seem to want to mortgage moms house to put it all on black and let 'er ride.Everyportfolio takes a lump at some point,part of the journey.Good Luck-ak
Old 05-05-2005, 10:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak4195
2U,the point is not* will they or wont they,the point is cheaper prices more than likely coming down the road,juicyness will get even more juicy.but with the debt load of $300billion and a market cap of a mere $16.6billion,hemorraging losses and more unfunded pension/health concerns ahead a default isnt out of the question.As a % of a diversified portfolio,no problem,but some seem to want to mortgage moms house to put it all on black and let 'er ride.Everyportfolio takes a lump at some point,part of the journey.Good Luck-ak
One thing I have learned is that after a company gets into trouble
it can take almost literally forever until drastic measures are implemented (imposed?). I have seen exceptions but not many. In the case of GM,
I expect the struggle (however it ends) to be even more protracted than what I have been exposed to previously.

JG
Old 05-08-2005, 02:03 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

GM and, to a lessor extent, Ford, have made their money loaning on car sales rather than selling cars. Add to that the pension load and I fully expect that both will resort to reorganization in five years to shake off the UAW pensions and cram them into to Pension Guarantee fund. Their competition from Toyota and Honda have no similar pension overhang, since these companies don't have to carry their countries health care programs. Expect the big story in five - ten years to be wave after wave of private pension/medical insurance defaults and the US refusing to pick up the slack.

No worries. There are plenty of nice places offshore with affordable health care to run to.

Old 05-08-2005, 07:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
If you believe that any administration (present or future) would let
GM go belly up without a bailout...............well, you are living in
a different world than the one I occupy.

JG
Hi All
My only question would be is how badly the investor and bondholder would fare in the reorganization to follow the bailout. Still probably worth a gamble
Bruce
Old 05-08-2005, 09:27 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Of course, we could just fix the healthcare and social security/retirement income problems, which would correct the health and pension costs longer term.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:43 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Of course, we could just fix the healthcare and social security/retirement income problems, which would correct the health and pension costs longer term.
My response to that is the same as when I read science fiction or a cookbook:

"Like that's gonna really happen...."

REW, 19 days to eR

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWanabe