Join Early Retirement Today

GM early retiree
Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

GM early retiree

I retired in 2006 at 56 when my GM plant closed. I receive a basic benefit and a supplemental benefit. When I turn 62 does that supplement go away wether I start soc. security or not? I've searched my union papers and can't figure it. It certainly would change if I take soc. sec. at 62 or not. I'm on the fence as to if I should take it at 62 or wait.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glinka View Post
I retired in 2006 at 56 when my GM plant closed. I receive a basic benefit and a supplemental benefit. When I turn 62 does that supplement go away wether I start soc. security or not? I've searched my union papers and can't figure it. It certainly would change if I take soc. sec. at 62 or not. I'm on the fence as to if I should take it at 62 or wait.
Can your union help you with this question?

ha

Old 04-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

John deere pensions allow so many dollars a month and when the social security kicks in the company pension is reduced to maintain that level of income. I think that they too are united autoworkers.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

glinka,

Have you tried asking your question on this forum:

GM NATIONAL RETIREE ASSOCIATION | OVER THE HILL CAR PEOPLE | HOME
Old 04-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess I made this harder than it had to be, called the national GM benefit center. The supplement goes away and the basic pension amount goes up figured on years service. Now the question is to figure if I want to take soc. sec. at 62 or wait.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I guess I made this harder than it had to be, called the national GM benefit center. The supplement goes away and the basic pension amount goes up figured on years service. Now the question is to figure if I want to take soc. sec. at 62 or wait.
This was recently posted over at bogleheads forum, and might be helpful regarding the SS decision:

http://fsp.bc.edu/wp-content/uploads..._-rev_0706.pdf
Old 04-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And there are probably online calculators out there that can model various scenarios for you. FIRECalc: A different kind of retirement calculator can give you probability of success based on past financial history, by entering the various pension, social security and ages on the second tab "Other Income/Spending" (in addition to the first tab). However, the results will depend very heavily on the longevity you assume, something you have to decide for yourself. Of course longevity has everything to do with when to take social security as well, it's the $64,000 question (take SS early if you expect to pass away younger, defer SS if you expect to live longer than average).

You may want to consult a professional if you're not comfortable with online calculators. Best of luck...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote