Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: GM suspends 401(k) match for salaried employees
Old 12-16-2005, 07:01 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
Well I assume you mean for President. I voted Republican. Both parties serve corp. America before the people. So you have to choose whichever you think is closest to your beliefs. In the next election I probably will vote the same but who can really say yet. I don't know who is running. Not sure if you are implying that I don't vote or know why I voted the way I do? The present administration is not as carefull with my money as I would hope.
I have performed my "civic duty" in a consistent manner for many many years now and
do not plan to deviate in the future. I stay home on election day.
BTW, there
is no administration (nor will there be) that is "careful with your money".
That is a pipe dream.

JG

MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2005, 07:07 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marketneutral

No wonder the sheeple are debt whores. *They follow their governments example.
This is a good point. Always assume that you are being led by
clueless cretins. That way, when this is proven to be correct
you will not be disappointed.

JG
Old 12-16-2005, 07:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
As usual, I am firmly on the side of the big greedy money grubbing
obscene profit obsessed, lying, polluting corporations. *It's not
"amazing" at all. *Did you see 'The Godfather'?
It's just business. *Deal with it.

JG
Revolutions have started for less.* The people can only be screwed for so long before they raise up.* But since you are a history buff you took that into account when you made this statement.* *
Old 12-16-2005, 07:16 AM   #24

Quote:
Revolutions have started for less.* The people can only be screwed for to long before they raise up.* But since you are a history buff you took that into account when you made this statement.* *
Yes, I am a history buff. If you take a look at where we are (individually
or as a country) with the perspective of centuries instead of days,
it will give you a whole new outlook on just about everything.
I highly recommend it.

JG
Old 12-16-2005, 07:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Yes, I am a history buff.* If you take a look at where we are (individually
or as a country) with the perspective of centuries instead of days,
it will give you a whole new outlook on just about everything.
I highly recommend it.

JG
I guess I can just shred by PhD in History. We all ready have Mr Know It All here.

You may want to go back through history and see what happens after countries outsource their manufacturing bases. It could be a real eye opener - or if you just look at your window you can see it.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:38 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Geeez people. *Give it a rest. * :

Let's recap. *

1. Corporations are evil because they are in business to make a profit and share this with stockholders. *

This would be the driving force for most of the people either in retirement or wanting to be someday. *If you are looking for total equality in all things and a world where business is run for fun and not profit and where government is always run to suit your personal view of the world then I would suggest you are living in a fairly tale.

2. Government is evil because they create debt that is purchased by a variety of sources and then pays them for the use of the money in interest. *

Last time I looked bonds represented a pretty big portion of the "model" portfolio to balance out swings in the economy. *If it were not for debt by the governement there would be no need to issue these bonds. *They could just tax you for the money and that would generate a negative income stream instead of a positive one you could live on for additional income.

3. Companies are evil because they do not keep their promises, i.e., pensions, birthday cards, vacation policies, etc.

I believe if you look at the text of your pension plan documents it will say that future company conditions may require changes to the plan. *I am not pleased with companies defaulting on their defined benefit plans because it shows a lack of adequate planning and inadequate fiscal management on their part. *

I wish the world was perfect but it is run by people and that makes it imperfect. *As long as money and power are the rewards for being successful in the system, the system will be motivated by these two drivers. *That is the basis for our system. *Our duty is to watch the leaders and the media and keep them as honest as we can. *

Vote with your wallet for companies that meet your expectations for environmental and personnel issues. *That is the basis of our free economy.

Vote for who you believe will do what you believe in. *Just don't be too disappointed when they sometimes do things that you don't agree with. *

4. As for the Hitler comment; I will refrain from my planned tirad about making such highly emotional and grossly incorrect comparrisons. *Read your history about this era in the world again and talk to someone who actually lived during that time in Germany. *I believe it will become evident that you are mistaken. *
Old 12-16-2005, 07:50 AM   #27

Nice post SteveR. I am going back to my Utopian society now Let me know when things really change.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:53 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This thread has "evloved" to the Hitler reference. According to The Laws of Forum Threadom, this discussion is nearing the end point.

Now, if we can just figure out how to work Hitler into the salmon thread...

Old 12-16-2005, 07:57 AM   #29

A leader like Hilter being able to be elected. * What could have brought this about?

1. * * * Long-term bitterness

2. * * * Ineffective Constitution

3. * * * Money - The financial support of wealthy businessmen.

4. * * * Propaganda

5. * * * Programme - Hitler promised everybody something.

6. * * * Attacks on other parties

7. * * * Economic Depression - After the Wall Street Crash of 1929, the US called in its loans to Germany, and the German economy collapsed. *

I see no parallels here either. *

Wonder whose jobs U.S. took when we become the manufactoring superpower of the world that would cause their economic depression

U.S. is selling debt to China and outsourcing its manufactoring base to China.

What happens if China - called in its loans * *:

Naa. History NEVER repeats itself.

Old 12-16-2005, 08:01 AM   #30

MN,

We try not discuss politics and we try to stick to FIRE topics.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:09 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
MN,

We try not discuss politics and we try to stick to FIRE topics.
If you think politics is not a FIRE topic then good luck in trying to plan for it. In my view politics is the #1 factor in being able to FIRE at all.

Old 12-16-2005, 08:16 AM   #32

Interesting factoid.

China Stock Market is in the toilet and near their all time low.

Who would of think it?*
Old 12-16-2005, 08:19 AM   #33

H**** Jr.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:52 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!

Now, if we can just figure out how to work Hitler into the salmon thread...

I skipped the salmon thread. Figured it was about salmon, and the less I know....

Been pretty lucky here, staying out of the politics.

Liberal Democrat, if anyone cares. But two of my best friends are Republicans. It's New York. Sometimes there's no difference....

Grandpa came from Germany.

Have a nice day everybody!

kate
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:56 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
When I was working, we used to do our cost estimates and bidding based on estimates of required labor, required material and known overhead rates.* The overhead rates, of course, were multiplication factors applied to labor and materials partially to account for the fact that we had to pay benefits including health care, pensions, 401(k) match, etc.* Over the course of my career, I watched these multipliers creep up from as low as 1.5 to well over 2.0.* Now that companies are whittling down all the benefits, I wonder how much change they've been able to bring to the multipliers.
I have not read the whole thread so I do not know if anybody else has posted, but our factor is only 24%... and this is up from 21% a few years ago.... now that we are cost cutting I bet it will be back to 20% in a year or two.... I have not see people as high as 2X...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:58 AM   #36

Quote:
I guess I can just shred by PhD in History. We all ready have Mr Know It All here.
Hey Doc,

If, in fact you really do have a real, honest to goodness PhD in History that you got from a real university, then maybe that explains why you think college was such a huge waste of money. You picked the wrong degree (assuming earning money is important to you).
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:07 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Hey Doc,

If, in fact you really do have a real, honest to goodness PhD in History that you got from a real university, then maybe that explains why you think college was such a huge waste of money.* You picked the wrong degree (assuming earning money is important to you).*
It was from a U.S. point of view. It was worthless. When you only get one countries view of history it is not accurate.

The one side of the story theory.

Now tell me about those folks that got degrees in the IT field that are waiting tables because their jobs are in India? I was in Austin, Texas a couple months ago. My cab driver was a computer programmer that was making $125 per hour in 2000. She is now getting a certificate in massage therapy and driving a cab to pay the bills.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:09 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
H**** Jr.
Dont' Feed the Trolls
Old 12-16-2005, 09:10 AM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This thread has a lot of 'stuff' in it now... and I will address a couple of them...

When talking about debt... there is good debt and bad debt... *so when we say government is bad because of debt we need to be careful.. *if we use debt to build infrastructure (the local school, library, highway, sewage treatment plant etc...) this is USUALLY good.. (don't get me started on sports stadiums since we just built three expensive ones down here)... *this is like us using debt to buy a car or a house...

BUT, if the government is using debt to pay operating expenses (the police or firemen wages... welfare, the current war...) this is bad... *there is nothing that has improved future earnings... this is like us using debt to take a vacation...

Now about GM, the topic of this thread....

I do not care if GM goes in the toilet... *they were making a gob of money a few years ago when selling big SUVs and trucks... they could have gotten their fiscal house in order and put money aside for pensions or paid off debt... *they could have been more harder on the unions if they thought that they were paying too much... *but, it was kick the can down the road and let's hope it does not explode on my watch... *now that they are sucking canal water, people are screaming that they need help... *I disagree taking it all out on the employees, but that is the way of business... and I have had it happen to me.. *you got a choice to stay or move on..
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:12 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Dont' Feed the Trolls
Don't be a sheeple twice.