Join Early Retirement Today

Re: GM suspends 401(k) match for salaried employees
Old 12-16-2005, 09:13 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marketneutral
It was from a U.S. point of view.* It was worthless.* When you only get one countries view of history it is not accurate.

The one side of the story theory.*

Now tell me about those folks that got degrees in the IT field that are waiting tables because their jobs are in India?* *I was in Austin, Texas a couple months ago.* My cab driver was a computer programmer that was making $125 per hour in 2000.* She is now getting a certificate in massage therapy and driving a cab to pay the bills.*

And she was NOT WORTH the $125 either.... priced herself out of a job

At $125 per hour... that is about $260,000 per year... with benes... about $325,000 or higher...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2005, 09:14 AM   #42

Funny. There is probably a person in China that will do your job for .35 per hour and no benefits.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:15 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
It was from a U.S. point of view. It was worthless. When you only get one countries view of history it is not accurate.

The one side of the story theory.

Now tell me about those folks that got degrees in the IT field that are waiting tables because their jobs are in India? I was in Austin, Texas a couple months ago. My cab driver was a computer programmer that was making $125 per hour in 2000. She is now getting a certificate in massage therapy and driving a cab to pay the bills.
Well, a Computech Executive SuperDuper Deluxe 2 week IT certification "degree" was all that was needed to make $125/hr in 2000 Maybe your cab driver hated computer programming. I've done it plenty enough to know it is too boring for me to do as an occupation. Maybe Austin is in a rut. If you see your cabbie again, tell her to check out other cities in the nation. There are TONS of IT jobs. She won't make $125/hr, probably more like $40,000-$50,000+ if she has a bachelor's degree from a real university and minimal job-related programming skills.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:23 AM   #44

I am only repeating what I heard on CNBC, but they stated that US Manafacturing is at an all time high and that the real problem is getting skilled people.

People from China, India etc used to emigrate to the US for jobs, now they can stay home and do the jobs.

Asia does not need the US, once it gets some more wealth more evenly dispersed, it will be difficult to supply its'own markets.

China is developing Siberia, it will bring the raw materials by Train to its' factories, read Jim Rogers, Investor Capitalist.

My Son works with a group of 20 somethings who do Global IT consulting, all work from their apartments and have daily On Line Meetings.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:25 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Don't be a sheeple twice.
Next time you might take the time to read a post more fully before you attempt to make a "point."

From my previous post:
"Our duty is to watch the leaders and the media and keep them as honest as we can."

"Vote for who you believe will do what you believe in. Just don't be too disappointed when they sometimes do things that you don't agree with. "

I hardly see this as blindling following leaders.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:31 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Next time you might take the time to read a post more fully before you attempt to make a "point."

From my previous post:
"Our duty is to watch the leaders and the media and keep them as honest as we can."

"Vote for who you believe will do what you believe in.* Just don't be too disappointed when they sometimes do things that you don't agree with. "

I hardly see this as blindling following leaders.* *
As for the Hitler comment; I will refrain from my planned tirad about making such highly emotional and grossly incorrect comparrisons.* Read your history about this era in the world again and talk to someone who actually lived during that time in Germany.* I believe it will become evident that you are mistaken.*

---------------
A leader like Hilter being able to be elected. What could have brought this about?

1. Long-term bitterness

2. Ineffective Constitution

3. Money - The financial support of wealthy businessmen.

4. Propaganda

5. Programme - Hitler promised everybody something.

6. Attacks on other parties

7. Economic Depression - After the Wall Street Crash of 1929, the US called in its loans to Germany, and the German economy collapsed.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:20 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
However, lets hope we do not get another Hiltler type leader that invades countries for invalid reasons and slaughters them.
Yes, I agree, it was time for Saddam to go. Kuwait was bad enough, but many people don't realize all the U.S. & allied military who have been killed implementing Operation SOUTHERN WATCH during 1991-2003. From a cold-hearted personnel perspective, considering the thought that we'd be doing it for another decade, this regime change might actually be saving lives. I bet Shiite & Kurd Iraqis would agree with that assessment too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhodaThunkit
Justin -- don't jump to conclusions.* My own PhD is from the Maryland State Training School for Boys.* *A fine institution if ever there were one.
Are you referring to the U.S. Naval Academy? Or is that St. John's?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:21 AM   #48

Quote:
As for the Hitler comment; I will refrain from my planned tirad about making such highly emotional and grossly incorrect comparrisons.* Read your history about this era in the world again and talk to someone who actually lived during that time in Germany.* I believe it will become evident that you are mistaken.*

---------------
A leader like Hilter being able to be elected.* *What could have brought this about?

1.* * * *Long-term bitterness

2.* * * *Ineffective Constitution

3.* * * *Money - The financial support of wealthy businessmen.

4.* * * *Propaganda

5.* * * *Programme - Hitler promised everybody something.

6.* * * *Attacks on other parties

7.* * * *Economic Depression - After the Wall Street Crash of 1929, the US called in its loans to Germany, and the German economy collapsed.* *

Hey, that's pretty accurate. *Good post!

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:22 AM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Yes, I agree, it was time for Saddam to go.* Kuwait was bad enough, but many people don't realize all the U.S. & allied military who have been killed implementing Operation SOUTHERN WATCH during 1991-2003.* From a cold-hearted personnel perspective, considering the thought that we'd be doing it for another decade, this regime change might actually be saving lives.* I bet Shiite & Kurd Iraqis would agree with that assessment too.
I bet the 100k+ dead Iraqi civilians would NOT have agreed...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:34 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Yes, I agree, it was time for Saddam to go.* Kuwait was bad enough,
What would happen if Mexico was pumping the oil out from under Texas by slant drilling? Stop think about it.....what would we do?

---------------
The whole dispute started because Kuwait was slant-drilling. Using equipment bought from National Security Council chief Brent Scowcroft's old company, Kuwait was pumping out some $14-billion worth of oil from underneath Iraqi territory.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/CI...q_CIAHits.html

http://www.rense.com/general3/slant.htm

Old 12-16-2005, 10:36 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
This thread has "evloved" to the Hitler reference.* According to The Laws of Forum Threadom, this discussion is nearing the end point.

Now, if we can just figure out how to work Hitler into the salmon thread...

How about this? Hitler was a vegetarian. Does anyone here know if he ate fish?

JG
Old 12-16-2005, 10:38 AM   #52

Since slant drilling is very difficult to trace for outsiders of the operation, the technique has frequently been used to steal oil resources from neighbouring oil fields. Several cases are known, the one with the most spectacular consequences being slant drilling performed by Kuwait. This was one of the reasons given by Iraq for invading that country in 1991 (see Gulf War).

http://www.answers.com/topic/slant-drilling
Old 12-16-2005, 10:46 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
How about this? Hitler was a vegetarian. Does anyone here know if he ate fish?

JG
Yes, is true he was a vegie man, he did it to cut down on his body odor I hear tell...but he did make an exception for salmon on toast whenever he could though. I think by the by laws of the forum we are nearing the end of this thread now that we have mentioned this guy's name or does someone have to call someone a nazi?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:46 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I bet the 100k+ dead Iraqi civilians would NOT have agreed...
Killed for protecting their own natural resources. *
Old 12-16-2005, 10:56 AM   #55

Quote:
Hey, that's pretty accurate. *Good post!

JG
Thank you very much. I appreciate you saying that.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:47 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Yes, is true he was a vegie man, he did it to cut down on his body odor I hear tell...but he did make an exception for salmon on toast whenever he could though. I think by the by laws of the forum we are nearing the end of this thread now that we have mentioned this guy's name or does someone have to call someone a nazi?
I make a motion that we move on.

JG
Old 12-16-2005, 11:51 AM   #57

Quote:
I make a motion that we move on.

JG
I second that!
Old 12-16-2005, 11:53 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
I second that!
Perhaps Honkie will lead us in goose-stepping
on to other ER issues.

JG
Old 12-16-2005, 12:02 PM   #59

Quote:
Perhaps Honkie will lead us in goose-stepping
on to other ER issues.

JG
I honked when I gandered at that.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:03 PM   #60

Quote:
A little whining here Not only are you "responsible for yourself",
that is exactly as it should be. "Maximize profits"? That is
capitalism man. That's the way it works.

Re. the 401K matching change at GM, it's a good one. Quite logical. They will
need a whole bunch of these changes before the ship is righted.

JG
When a company promises you a pension if you work for them for a number of years then takes it away after you have worked the years it is a lot more than whining its theft! Its breach of contract. It should not be allowed. After all you cant sue them for your years back.

I know of no system better than capitalism at this time. However that doesn't mean there isn't one.

The bigest problem with capitalism at this time is the large corporations. They are answerable to no one. Maximizing profits may be good for them but bad for the country and the people who live in it. People have rights. A corp. is just a business operated under this countrys laws. We may not want them to maximize profits at everyone elses expense.