Join Early Retirement Today

GMAC Bank
Old 09-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

GMAC Bank

Does anyone have experience with GMAC bank. They are currently paying 5.3% on a MM account with check writing priviledges.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

GMAC Bank - an internet bank with good rates on money market and CDs

I have an account with them and decent customer service...

Old 09-16-2007, 07:19 AM   #3

Make sure you get the FDIC account. GM and other companies have money market accounts backed by the company. I wouldn't want to be an unsecured creditor of GM. I think they are doomed and will go under when the UAW drives them into the ground. I doubt that the UAW learned anything from the steel workers' union.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Make sure you get the FDIC account. GM and other companies have money market accounts backed by the company. I wouldn't want to be an unsecured creditor of GM. I think they are doomed and will go under when the UAW drives them into the ground. I doubt that the UAW learned anything from the steel workers' union.
Since GMAC was sold off, are they still backed by GM?
Old 09-16-2007, 08:09 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

GMAC Bank is FDIC and secure. I've had a good experience with them. Please note that it is a savings account and the number of monthly transactions is limited.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:20 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegany View Post
Does anyone have experience with GMAC bank. They are currently paying 5.3% on a MM account with check writing priviledges.
Yes, I was very happy with their service. I deposited quite a bit a money that I didn't need for about a year and earned 5.32% for a 1 year CD. I've since taken that money and moved it to INGDirect. That seemed to be a much smarter move for me since I can touch the money at anytime and still earn 5.30% (this is the regular rate for $100K deposit or more, not a CD rate; it's worth checking out).
Old 09-16-2007, 09:53 AM   #7

I park money at GMAC and move it via EFT to my checking account at Schwab when needed. Works fine.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:09 PM   #8

We had a CD for DW at GMAC. Worked fine. Good customer service via web. No muss, no fuss.