Join Early Retirement Today

Go Vanguard!!!
Old 05-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Go Vanguard!!!

Not news to many here, but maybe for some newer members...
Quote:
Vanguard not only out front but now lapping the competition

Stock picking vs. indexing? Advisers may tout the virtues of active management, but investors are voting with their feet. And based on net inflows at Vanguard this year, this race isn't even close.

The Vanguard Group Inc., which is known primarily for its low-cost passive investments, had more than $65 billion of net inflows to its mutual funds and exchange-traded funds through the end of April, according to Morningstar Inc. That's almost quadruple the inflows of the next-best-selling fund group, Pacific Investment Management Co. LLC, which has more than $16.5 billion of inflows over the same time period. In fact, Vanguard's $65 billion of new investments this year account for 35% of the inflows for the entire industry.
http://www.investmentnews.com/articl...FREE/120519953

And more detail on relative inflows (top of page 3)
http://corporate.morningstar.com/us/...owsmay2012.pdf

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for something that us Mutual Fund junkies can sink our teeth into.
The fund flows update pdf is especially interesting. We can get that from M* monthly?

Vanguard trounces the competition.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

More good news for Vanguard account holders:

Quote:
Continuing our trend of lowering investment costs, we've eliminated or reduced fees on 34 Vanguard funds.
vanguard.com: fund-announcement
Old 05-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
More good news for Vanguard account holders:

vanguard.com: fund-announcement
They're dropping redemption and early redemption fees on lots of international funds. Is this a contrarian sign?

They're also dropping the minimums for three fixed income institutional class funds from $50M to only $5M. Seems like they'll let anybody in now - guess I'll have to look elsewhere for my fund options.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Does it break it down between MF flows and ETF flows? That's the really story I think........... A lot of the MF companies doen't have ETF funds, so that may be some of the large inflows, as ETFs are growing exponentially as opposed to MF..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Does it break it down between MF flows and ETF flows? That's the really story I think........... A lot of the MF companies doen't have ETF funds, so that may be some of the large inflows, as ETFs are growing exponentially as opposed to MF..........
But in a market saturated with ETFs, the fact that inflows still heavily favor Vanguard means something. To my knowledge, there isn't a vanguard ETF that doesn't have a similar (albeit crappier) alternative from another company. In fact, they were late to the game for a couple of the asset classes I invest in, and as a result I chose a competitors ETF product since Vanguard didn't have one available at the time.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
As VG approaches 0% ER in many Admiral funds, one wonders what will happen in the future. As a long time VG investor, I assume that they already have this "problem" resolved @ Valley Forge.

"Less is More."

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
As VG approaches 0% ER in many Admiral funds, one wonders what will happen in the future.
They'll make it up in volume.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
But in a market saturated with ETFs, the fact that inflows still heavily favor Vanguard means something. To my knowledge, there isn't a vanguard ETF that doesn't have a similar (albeit crappier) alternative from another company. In fact, they were late to the game for a couple of the asset classes I invest in, and as a result I chose a competitors ETF product since Vanguard didn't have one available at the time.
What I was getting at was wondering if the MF versus ETF flows were 50/50, 30/70, etc. VG is promoting the heck out of their ETF portfolios to small and large investors alike, even a big push to FAs........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
What I was getting at was wondering if the MF versus ETF flows were 50/50, 30/70, etc. VG is promoting the heck out of their ETF portfolios to small and large investors alike, even a big push to FAs........
I would think you might have double secret professional resources that could tell you MF versus ETF flows?
Old 05-26-2012, 05:45 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

In a getover world,thanks Vanguard for doing the right thing.
okapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #12

Hello Michael - please can you explain your post below? I am not following you. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB
They're dropping redemption and early redemption fees on lots of international funds. Is this a contrarian sign?

They're also dropping the minimums for three fixed income institutional class funds from $50M to only $5M. Seems like they'll let anybody in now - guess I'll have to look elsewhere for my fund options.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Hello Michael - please can you explain your post below? I am not following you. Thank you.
Oby, a contrarian sign is when one should do the opposite of what everyone else appears to be doing. EM and natural resource equity funds have fallen more in price than any other so far this year. People are selling their investments. Now, Vanguard eliminated early redemption fees on those funds, and probably more people will sell sooner. So I ask, is this a contrarian sign for investors? Should we be thinking about buying EM and PM instead of joining the lemmings selling.
AWF & AGDCX are better than VWEHX
Old 05-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

AWF & AGDCX are better than VWEHX

AWF & AGDCX are better than VWEHX. Are there any other similar funds that anyone likes? I am curious to know.
rsingh6675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsingh6675 View Post
AWF & AGDCX are better than VWEHX.
Measured by what criteria? I am curious to know...
Old 05-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsingh6675 View Post
AWF & AGDCX are better than VWEHX. Are there any other similar funds that anyone likes? I am curious to know.
AGDCX is a load fund. Here's the M* chart comparing it with VWEHX. Better is not obvious, but more expensive sure is. M* reports ERs are 1.65% vs 0.23%, favoring Vanguard. AWF is a closed end fund, no comparable to either and with a much different risk profile.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Oby, a contrarian sign is when one should do the opposite of what everyone else appears to be doing. EM and natural resource equity funds have fallen more in price than any other so far this year. People are selling their investments. Now, Vanguard eliminated early redemption fees on those funds, and probably more people will sell sooner. So I ask, is this a contrarian sign for investors? Should we be thinking about buying EM and PM instead of joining the lemmings selling.
Timing is always a tricky subject. EM and PM had a big run up in the last decade or so. Is this a return to the mean or something else? Also EM is dynamic in its makeup -- different countries have different problems not all at the same time.

I have no idea where this will go. That's why I chose to use something like the broad based international etf VEU (VFWIX as a fund) which has a 25% or so EM component. I trade between VEU and the large value US etf VTV. The trading is done very seldom but based on the return differentials over several months. Have been out of international since Oct 2011. When the differential returns start to reverse my international/US segment will be back in international. This is an attempt at risk reduction (currency plus equity changes) more then an attempt to beat the market. It has worked reasonably well over my period of study -- 1970 to date.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by okapi View Post
In a getover world,thanks Vanguard for doing the right thing.

Heh heh heh - and all praise to Mr B for convincing me way back when. Bogle On Mutual Funds. And pssst Wellesley way before that.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
VT - Vanguard Total World Stock Index ETF. With my few good stocks, deck chairs on the Titanic, mad money.

What the heck even the Europeans and Japanese will get right evenually.

Planet Earth is a pretty good index. If you are going to index -THEN INDEX!

Right?

heh heh heh - Target Retirement for my real money in retirement.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #20

Thank you for taking the time to explain. I have been learning a lot from this website, thanks to people like you.
Quote:
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote