Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Go with TIPs or am I crazy?
Old 06-04-2005, 05:43 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Right now it's Lifestrategy cons with auto deduct to checking.

If I croak - Target Retirement with auto deduct to checking.

DO NOT DO SOMETHING - JUST STAND THERE! Go spend the money.

She has shown no interest in investments in 29 years and has no plans to change.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2005, 08:23 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
.....retirement savings rate will be at 43%.
........saving ~45% of gross
....DW just moved $1000 to savings from checking account, like she does every month.
Wow, that's a great saving rate. After income tax, medical and dental insurance premiums, life insurance, vision plan, social security, 401K contributions, I can only save 15% of take-home pay.

Spanky
Old 06-04-2005, 08:36 PM   #123

Spanky, Don't forget your 15% is 'after SS and 401k' -- certainly the 401k is savings, too, and you might even think of the SS as savings if you are really trying to be nice to yourself.-- you should at least get it back if you live long enough, and if you don't then it didn't matter! So re-calc at least with the 401k and you might feel better.

Old 06-04-2005, 08:41 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
She takes orders? Hmm...
a'Hoye there (just a reminder) 'th--First, I want you to know that you caused my first ever two- handed spew. I was reading your mountain-stock portfolio response with a mouthful of Diet Lime Coke and out it came. My hand reflexively went up to protect the keyboard. It, the spew, ran down to my elbow, and I caught it in my cupped hand. I sat there puffing up with pride about the catch when some of it, the spew, ran between my fingers and fell on my pants. Dang!

So, Martha and I have a complex relationship. I guess one could say that it's a type of co-dependancy, somewhat like a woodtick and a leg. No, no, no. That's too simple. I guess the relationship is more like our government structure. I'm the Supreme Court, and Martha is the Executuve and the Legislative. It's my job to find Truth, wherever it might be hiding. Once found and explained, Martha's job is to interpret it and issue forth with laws and rules that EVERYONE has to follow, but mostly me. Some parrying and thrusting occasionally happens. For example, I know and have explained to her that $6.95 Monster Burger meals from Hardee's are bad, and they are bad universally in both time and location (except for large areas of Africa--but I'm not going there). So, when we go to Hardees and I order a Monster Burger meal, Martha rolls her eyes and looks at me as I attempt to avoid all contact. . . . I end up getting a small burger and diet pepsi. We both win but in a sometimes awkward fashion. At least that's her interpretation of events. But don't forget that all is contingent on the intial discovery of Truth. Sometimes both of us are paralysed for days just waiting for a Supreme Court decision.

So, yes, she always does what's right. IMO
Old 06-05-2005, 04:28 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
a'Hoye there (just a reminder) 'th--First, I want you to know that you caused my first ever two- handed spew.* I was reading your mountain-stock portfolio response with a mouthful of Diet Lime Coke and out it came.* My hand reflexively went up to protect the keyboard.* It, the spew, ran down to my elbow,* and I caught it in my cupped hand.* I sat there puffing up with pride about the catch when some of it, the spew, ran between my fingers and fell on my pants.* Dang!

So, Martha and I have a complex relationship.* I guess one could say that it's a type of co-dependancy, somewhat like a woodtick and a leg.* No, no, no.* That's too simple.* I guess the relationship is more like our government structure.* I'm the Supreme Court, and Martha is the Executuve and the Legislative.* It's my job to find Truth, wherever it might be hiding.* Once found and explained,* Martha's job is to interpret it and issue forth with laws and rules that EVERYONE* has to follow, but mostly me.* Some parrying and thrusting occasionally happens.* For example, I know and have explained to her that $6.95 Monster Burger meals from Hardee's are bad, and they are bad universally in both time and location (except for large areas of Africa--but I'm not going there).* So, when we go to Hardees and I order a Monster Burger meal, Martha rolls her eyes and looks at me as I attempt to avoid all contact. . . . I end up getting a small burger and diet pepsi. We both win but in a sometimes awkward fashion.* At least that's her interpretation of events.* But don't forget that all is contingent on the intial discovery of Truth.* Sometimes both of us are paralysed for days just waiting for a Supreme Court decision.

So, yes, she always does what's right.* IMO
Reminds me of when I was a young man, i.e. lots of partying and thrusting,
after which I was paralysed for days..................

BTW, I enjoyed the woodtick/leg reference. The sort of thng that sticks with you.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Wow, that's a great saving rate. After income tax, medical and dental insurance premiums, life insurance, vision plan, social security, 401K contributions, I can only save 15% of take-home pay.

Spanky
I'm including 401(k) and principle paid off in the home loan. Strictly calculating swing in net worth if investments stay flat. I wish I could save 15% of take home pay! After 401k and IRA and early payoff on the house, not much left!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 09:24 AM   #127

Laurence,

Thanks for the clarification.

Spanky
Old 06-05-2005, 11:47 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

This year I'm putting about 20% in the 401k, to help offset a nice profit sharing check, which we probably won't get next year. But later this year, or early next, I'll drop that to the minimum for the match (4%), and start investing more in taxable and Roth, to provide some diversity when draw down begins.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:10 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I'm including 401(k) and principle paid off in the home loan.* Strictly calculating swing in net worth if investments stay flat.* I wish I could save 15% of take home pay!* After 401k and IRA and early payoff on the house, not much left!
I can't remember if I'm computing the company match on the 401k or not. I have a spread sheet that breaks down all the different accounts that I am contributing to and one item is the matching contribution. If I pulled the numbers from that spreadsheet then I am including the company match of 5%.

I haven't computed my net savings as it gets complicated with the 401k being before tax.

I do not include my mortgage or my FICA or pension contributions.

Between my partner and I there are a lot of different pots of money out there. All with different tax and withdrawal rules ...

-helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:57 PM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Robert, I agree with you.

This thread is fascinating, but... I am surprised not to see any reference to Jim Otar's software (www.retirementoptimizer.com) which seems similar to firecalc(?) BUT allows you to see how the correct use of a SPIA (Single Premium Immediate Annuity) can greatly increase a portfolio's survivability.

Full disclosure: I am a very risk-averse, California licensed Life and Disability Insurance Analyst, and I love fixed annuities in all of their varieties (immediate, deferred, split, CD-type, etc). I also have a NASD Series 7 and 63 which I stopped using in October of 2004 due to my extremely bearish outlook... although due to draconian California compliance developments, I'll have to re-activate these sooner than I planned.

But I'd like to know- as someone new to this forum- has there been any discussion of how SPIAs can increase portfolio survivability regardless of asset class(es)?

Art
Old 06-12-2005, 01:04 PM   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Hey Art,

I would suggest starting a thread under Hi I am/Introduce yourself here. Your first post saying, "Hey, check out this great investment vehicle!" tends to cause the vets here to chew you up and spit you out for being a salesman pushing an inferior product. Since I'm sure you are not a salesman and your product is not inferior, if you post a little about yourself there we can get to know where you are coming from.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:21 PM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi, Laurence. Thanks for the tip- but I really have nothing to add about myself other than what I included.

I understand your point. But my point is, check out the concept for yourself at the website I mentioned (I'm not affiliated with it in any way- just a new user) and see if it works for your portfolio. Otar is an engineer turned financial planner. Read his articles, use his free DEMO software. He's not the first person to point this out- and when I didn't see any mention of it until the third page (before I posted) I figured I'd bring it to the table. End of story.

Art
Old 06-12-2005, 01:59 PM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

It's all good, Art! Those who want to will check into your link. Cheers!
Old 06-12-2005, 01:59 PM   #134

As an engineer, my "worst" condition would include the insurance company going broke. So much for the "guaranteed" annuity.

eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:51 AM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus
As an engineer, my "worst" condition would include the insurance company going broke. So much for the "guaranteed" annuity.*

I agree with you. A highly rated (by Weiss Research) insurance company going broke, even in a depression, should be considered a worst-case, although still exceedingly unlikely, condition.

Much more likely would be an out-of-control, runaway U.S. debt load (on-line AND off-line) ultimately scaring off foreign creditors and investors, leading to hyperinflation and depression.

So much for domestic (and maybe even foreign) Vanguard and DFA investments?
Old 06-13-2005, 09:56 AM   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Why is it more likely? No one thought WorldCom, Enron, Anderson Consulting etc. would bite the dust when it did. You think hyperinflation and another great depression are more likely than a blue chip company going broke? I've never seen the former, but I've seen plenty of the latter in my short stint on the planet.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:29 AM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

"You think hyperinflation and another great depression are more likely than a blue chip company going broke?"*

No. That's not what I said.

I said that the risk of hyperinflation and depression is greater (far greater, IMHO) than the risk of a highly-rated (by Weiss Research) INSURANCE COMPANY going belly up.

Weiss is unique in analyzing an insurance company's ability to withstand severe macroeconomic conditions, including recession and depression, which he clearly defines in his reports.

All currently-highly rated insurance companies (by Weiss) that were around at the time breezed through the 1929 crash and came out smelling like roses.

Also, unlike virtually every other industry that uses GAAP accounting standards, the insurance industry is UNIQUE in being held to much tougher statutory accounting standards.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:51 AM   #138
Moderator Emeritus

Cool.

To get back to your earlier post: Since my interest in annuities is minimal ( I may consider it when I'm older) my understanding of them is limited. However, you asked if there had been a discussion on the matter, and actually, the longest thread on this board (other than introduce yourself) was on annuities:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=2195.0

Did you get a chance to check it out? It spells out a lot of regular posters opinions of annuities to some great length and the faults they find with them. In a nutshell, inflation can eat at the value, inflation adjusted pays out way less up front, nothing left for the kids when you pass on. The thread spells it out better than I could. I would welcome a rebuttal to the points made, the "pro-annuity" person on that thread just kept posting the same script over and over, not too helpful. Cheers!
Old 06-13-2005, 12:25 PM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Cool.

However, you asked if there had been a discussion on the matter, and actually, the longest thread on this board (other than introduce yourself) was on annuities:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=2195.0

Did you get a chance to check it out?*
No, I didn't know about it- I will check it out when I can, though- thanks for letting me know.

A lot of what you said about the "anti-annuity" position can't be rebutted, nor should it be.

You are WAY too young to consider it.

What I'm sure I'll find, though, is the typical sloppiness you find in ALL annuity discussions: failure to differentiate between variable and fixed, immediate and deferred, annuities, causing all sorts of unnecessary blather.

But back to my first post: it is not debatable nor negotiable that in many situations, based on over 100 years of data, that the prudent use of a good quality SPIA (single premium immediate annuity) can SUBSTANTIALLY increase the survivability of many portfolios, by providing a guaranteed lifetime stream of income that allows other asset classes to grow/recover without being molested (or possibly only being minimally molested) by otherwise required withdrawals.

Unlike FIREcalc- which ignores this critical detail, www.retirementoptimizer.com (sadly, this is not a paid endorsement) allows you to see this for free (you'll have to plug your own SPIA's numbers in- I use Integrity Life, and you can rest assured that I will not be compensated if you do, too).

For the conservatives on this board, like Robert, and Donner (whose posts, I think, are beautifully written) this bad boy could be the missing link in your portfolio.

Old 06-13-2005, 12:36 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Yep

Agree - that a low fee SPIA for the right person/case can do the job.

All the other stuff - confusing types, getting sold instead of buying, high fees for some, and incorrect analysis of the applicable individual situation - have led to a lot of bad press and negative backlash.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote