Going all in, anybody with me?

Just the usual DCA'ing into index funds, for us. (I accidentally typed "index fuds" at first, for those familiar with the acronym...)

You pull the trigger?

Sort of. I bought some and sold it a couple of times for a few dollars but I was out of it when they got bought out.

I really didn't think that big of a deal was going to be made...it is a pretty huge amount of money.

Oh well, you can't win them all.

I'm not sure we have enough of a Bear to go all in even if one believes that is is a good idea (I don't).

As of today the Bear seems to be playing hide-n-seek with us. It shows itself, growls and snorts, takes a few swipes, draws some blood, but then retreats back into the bushes where it seems to be watching us.

What is it planning? Are we just a possible threat? Or are we prey? If we are just a threat, the bear may be happy to track us, scare us and then go on its way after we have retreated back down the trail a bit. If we are prey, it will come for as big a chunk of us as it can get.

That is the dilemma right? Go in big here at ~23,000 and feel nice when the market returns to 26000

OR

feel really bad if things just fall off a cliff and the market drops to 10,000

Wasn't going to sell it regardless. Have been diverting capital gains/dividends elsewhere for a while now. Over time it's become a pretty small percentage of my portfolio where it's neither helping nor harming. A fleeting opportunity arose to dump all of it but in the current environment it only lasted a day and I missed it. So in the portfolio it stays awaiting either another opportunity to sell at a loss and replace it with something I do like or, failing that, wait till I retire and withdraw from it just like everything else.
I'm with Reno-Jay on this one. Any percentage of a gain is better than any loss. Pretty basic, but sometimes we can get a bit too cute in our fine-tuning.

Maybe not always true with the non-tax hard cliffs for government benefits like ACA, etc.

Ha

Last edited:
I generally pay no attention to what random people post, or to their smart ass comments. Or the idea that California is really nice away from the Coast. Absolutely, the sierras are marvelous, and the Tahoe area. Really cheap too! And where it can be cheaper, some of us would like a few English speakers around. And more generally, we would like that our children could get a quality education, at least through JC.

If you move into the outback, how can your children stay around? I always attended to these things, and both my sons are grown, nearby, and affluent or downright rich. I think some people forget that there is a larger purpose to life than finding the cheapest possible existence.

Ha

I am not certain how my comment could be considered as a smart ass comment. I just pointed out that their are plenty of places you can live for $36K/year quiet well and gave an example.

I don't know if I would consider Warner Robins the outback. Many on this forum are engineers and it is a place they would want to be.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kathryndill/2015/02/24/the-top-cities-for-engineers/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom