Join Early Retirement Today
Going Spartan - what do you wise folk think?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Going Spartan - what do you wise folk think?

$300K in fido IRA. Age 54 - retirement goal is Q3 2020 (Pensions kick in, SS for me (may defer), retirement home paid off.)

I have 19 funds in my IRA, including 4 I just moved over from MSSB that I have already converted to cash. I'd like to go boglehead-ish/coffee house-ish/couch potato-ish but stay with fido. Moderate to moderate+ on risk.

What about this portfolio?

Fund Level Amt Exp Ratio
Spartan 500 Index (FUSVX) adv. $110K .07
Spartan Inter. Bond Index (FIBAX) adv. $110K .10
Spartan Small Cap Index (FSSPX) inv. $ 25K .31
Spartan Real Estate Index (FRXIX) inv. $ 25K .26
Spartan Global Index (FSGUX) inv. $ 25K .24
Fidelity 4-in-1 Index (FFNOX) $ 5K .23

(Advantage Class needs $100K min. Investor Class needs $10K min. I already own the 4-in-1 and want to keep it for curiousity sake.)

Any and all comments and insights appreciated.

LRDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
If you want a lazy/Coffeehouse portfolio, which is a solid approach IMO, your plan mirrors one of the Coffeehouse portfolios pretty well. Expense ratios for chosen Spartan funds are all very competitive, good!

Having 2% in 4-in-1 has no impact so why bother, you can track it without owning it, but you already know that.

This portfolio is a little too light on international IMO, but that's my opinion. One of the most basic lazy portfolios is the 3 funds below, note 1/3rd international. FWIW...
Attached Images
File Type: png CoffeeHouse_Portfolio.PNG (13.2 KB, 190 views)
File Type: gif Coffee.gif (5.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: gif Lazy3.gif (16.8 KB, 184 views)

No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
It was looking good until 4-in-1 was randomly thrown in. Do you know what that find holds?
You may wish to use FSEVX instead of spartan small-cap. You may wish to add more foreign small-cap by purchasing VSS.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
It was looking good until 4-in-1 was randomly thrown in. Do you know what that find holds?
Yeah, you and Midpack have a good point.... As Midpack points out, I don't have to hold it to track it.

I do know what it holds. I was thinking I liked it better than the fido target date funds for the mental exercise of: "If I could only have one fund..." (But again - a dumb reason to hold it.)
LRDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
is your IRA your only retirement investments?

I agree with midpack that you are a little light on international equities (which is my opinion as well). FWIW, here is a link to a vanguard thingy where they talk about THEIR suggestions for international exposure. They suggest anywhere from 20 to 40% international equity exposure, after that, they claim you loose any diversification benefit. Also, the Boglehead Wiki cites a poll on their forum where their members have non-US equity exposure from 20 to 50%.

It is difficult without the entire picture, but if trying to imitate a lazy portfolio, what you are suggesting should get you in the ballpark.
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote