Going Spartan - what do you wise folk think?

LRDave

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
$300K in fido IRA. Age 54 - retirement goal is Q3 2020 (Pensions kick in, SS for me (may defer), retirement home paid off.)

I have 19 funds in my IRA, including 4 I just moved over from MSSB that I have already converted to cash. I'd like to go boglehead-ish/coffee house-ish/couch potato-ish but stay with fido. Moderate to moderate+ on risk.

What about this portfolio?

Fund Level Amt Exp Ratio
Spartan 500 Index (FUSVX) adv. $110K .07
Spartan Inter. Bond Index (FIBAX) adv. $110K .10
Spartan Small Cap Index (FSSPX) inv. $ 25K .31
Spartan Real Estate Index (FRXIX) inv. $ 25K .26
Spartan Global Index (FSGUX) inv. $ 25K .24
Fidelity 4-in-1 Index (FFNOX) $ 5K .23

(Advantage Class needs $100K min. Investor Class needs $10K min. I already own the 4-in-1 and want to keep it for curiousity sake.)

Any and all comments and insights appreciated.

If you want a lazy/Coffeehouse portfolio, which is a solid approach IMO, your plan mirrors one of the Coffeehouse portfolios pretty well. Expense ratios for chosen Spartan funds are all very competitive, good!

Having 2% in 4-in-1 has no impact so why bother, you can track it without owning it, but you already know that.

This portfolio is a little too light on international IMO, but that's my opinion. One of the most basic lazy portfolios is the 3 funds below, note 1/3rd international. FWIW...

Attachments

• CoffeeHouse_Portfolio.PNG
    CoffeeHouse_Portfolio.PNG
    13.2 KB · Views: 193
  • Coffee.gif
    Coffee.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Lazy3.gif
    Lazy3.gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 187
It was looking good until 4-in-1 was randomly thrown in. Do you know what that find holds?
You may wish to use FSEVX instead of spartan small-cap. You may wish to add more foreign small-cap by purchasing VSS.

It was looking good until 4-in-1 was randomly thrown in. Do you know what that find holds?

Yeah, you and Midpack have a good point.... As Midpack points out, I don't have to hold it to track it. :blush:

I do know what it holds. I was thinking I liked it better than the fido target date funds for the mental exercise of: "If I could only have one fund..." (But again - a dumb reason to hold it.)

is your IRA your only retirement investments?

I agree with midpack that you are a little light on international equities (which is my opinion as well). FWIW, here is a link to a vanguard thingy where they talk about THEIR suggestions for international exposure. They suggest anywhere from 20 to 40% international equity exposure, after that, they claim you loose any diversification benefit. Also, the Boglehead Wiki cites a poll on their forum where their members have non-US equity exposure from 20 to 50%.

It is difficult without the entire picture, but if trying to imitate a lazy portfolio, what you are suggesting should get you in the ballpark.

Back
Top Bottom