Join Early Retirement Today

Going to 100% stocks
Old 09-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Going to 100% stocks

Just kidding. Did someone recently call the near-term market bottom last week? I want to thank them for that.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dex, is that you?
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Did someone recently call the near-term market bottom last week? I want to thank them for that.
I certainly heard that call loud and clear from some here and elsewhere outside of the forum. I remain 100% stocks.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Still puttering along with 40% stock funds, 40% bond funds, and some RE, CCF, and cash for good measure...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Still comfortable with about a 40/60 at this point.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

100% of my equity exposure is 100% in stocks.........that's the tip of the day........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #7

I looked at my favourite mutual funds provider's fund performances for August. US and European equities were off 5-6% (and that could have been worse for me: the Euro lost some ground against the USD, so those funds with US market exposure should have been up in Euros on that basis). But emerging markets were steady, or even up somewhat.

I'm not completely into Taleb's "barbell" model yet (T-bills at one end, high-risk investments at the other, and little between), but I just don't see where the kind of growth needed to produce 7% returns is going to come from in mature economies over the next few years. (My best buy this year has been 15K of a fund which invests in African companies, up 40% in 12 months. YMMV!)
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Still lots of cash. Waiting for the future to become clear.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Roughly 40/30/30 stocks/bonds/cash. But the stock portion in on steroids (stock options baby - limited downside, unlimited upside) and my portoflio is still up about 5% since Tuesday.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #10

I was 100% stocks on the way down, so you bet your a$$ I am 100% now as I hope this is the up (I am not holding my breath). Still have 15 years to go, so no hurry here.

I am buying low right now LOL
Old 09-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Let's not forget this is a secular bear market.

The 1100 area is one place to watch, on a closing basis (it isn't a magical number - don't think if it closes above 1100 we are in a new bull market; just an area of resistance to watch). My guess is that people don't want to be long into the 3 day weekend so the S&P won't close above 1100.
On the attached chart the 50day MA (turning down) is below the 200MA (flat).

On Tuesday, there could be another pop, which would be a good time to sell.

I'm playing with the idea of a very small short on the Tues pop.

It is good to be watching this all unfold from the sidelines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sept 3.jpg (294.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 09-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Dex, is that you?
Not me, we have some time on that call.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
You failed to include "I believe" and/or "according to some theories"...
Old 09-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #14

Funny Dex, I'm thinking this is a good time to watch while fully invested, not from the sidelines as you suggest. I guess that's what makes the world go around.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #15

We'll be in a "secular bear market" until we go up 50% in a year and then suddenly we'll be in a "secular bull market" in which people will be excited about buying stocks at 50% higher prices than they are today.

Frankly, I'm going to stick with buying them now while no one else seems to want them.

Quote:

The 1100 area is one place to watch, on a closing basis (it isn't a magical number - don't think if it closes above 1100 we are in a new bull market; just an area of resistance to watch). My guess is that people don't want to be long into the 3 day weekend so the S&P won't close above 1100.
On the attached chart the 50day MA (turning down) is below the 200MA (flat).

On Tuesday, there could be another pop, which would be a good time to sell.

I'm playing with the idea of a very small short on the Tues pop.

It is good to be watching this all unfold from the sidelines.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Still lots of cash. Waiting for the future to become clear.
Yeah, I'd wait till there is a full recovery and then jump in.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You failed to include "I believe" and/or "according to some theories"...
No need - there is a definition and we met that definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_trend

A secular market trend is a long-term trend that lasts 5 to 25 years and consists of a series of sequential primary trends. A secular bear market consists of smaller bull markets and larger bear markets; a secular bull market consists of larger bull markets and smaller bear markets.
In a secular bull market the prevailing trend is "bullish" or upward moving. The United States was described as being in a secular bull market from about 1983 to 2000 (or 2007), with brief upsets including the crash of 1987 and the dot-com bust of 2000–2002.
In a secular bear market, the prevailing trend is "bearish" or downward moving. An example of a secular bear market was seen in gold during the period between January 1980 to June 1999, culminating with the Brown Bottom. During this period the nominal gold price fell from a high of $850/oz ($30/g) to a low of $253/oz ($9/g),[4] and became part of the Great Commodities Depression.

______

There are a couple of point I disagree with - the length, from memory, more like 13-18 years. The beginning was 2000.

You can google the term form more info. We have several more years to go. A secular bear market grinds people out of it. Just as with a secular bull market; when everyone is in - it is time to get out. With the secular bear; when people are saying they will never go into the stock market again - it is time to get in.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Just kidding. Did someone recently call the near-term market bottom last week? I want to thank them for that.
Well, there was this, but it was a "here we go again" rather than calling a bottom, an ability I make no claims of possessing. I didn't realize at the time that the Dow had briefly dipped below 10,000 earlier in the day.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I don't know what will happen in the future, but I am surprised by what has happened in the last few months. Large caps have not done as well as small caps. Here are some YTD returns as of yesterday:

VTI -0.30%
VV -0.79%
VXF 3.96%
VBR 3.90%
VEU -2.09%
VSS 3.33%
VWO 2.93%
DGS 10.36%

Presumably, if you are reading this, you know what asset classes these ETFs are, but here's a hint: Large caps are down; small caps are up.

I may need to consider rebalancing from small caps towards large caps.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No need - there is a definition and we met that definition.
This is a definition based on a theory - which everyone does not necessarily believe, thus the reason for my comment.