Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrClrx311 View Post
true... I think for the very short term - gold is ok. Inflation is still a risk. Once we get through this rut we're in... Gold is going to drop pretty drastically. My prediction is that within the next 5-10 years we'll see Gold back at $500-800 (in today's dollars).

I'll probably buy some then
Sorry, but you're totally out of step with pretty much everyone in the financial community these days.

"Short term" refers to the period between now and tomorrow morning.

"Medium term" means next quarter.

"Long term means two or three quarters out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

"Short term" refers to the time it takes for the first beer to reach the stomach on a hot day.

"Medium term" means the next beer.

"Long term' means you can finally settle back in your chair and take your time while you enjoy one.
fify

Old 03-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just saw this series of charts: Fred's Intelligent Bear Site - Dow-Gold Ratio

They purport to be a chart of the DOW divided by the price of gold over the years. Interesting, but I'm not sure if it shows anything the previous numbers I looked at don't also show.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Just saw this series of charts: Fred's Intelligent Bear Site - Dow-Gold Ratio

They purport to be a chart of the DOW divided by the price of gold over the years. Interesting, but I'm not sure if it shows anything the previous numbers I looked at don't also show.
From the link:

Quote:
The Dow/Gold Ratio chart shows that we have witnessed the end of an era for equities. Stocks had an 18 year bull market where buy and hold was the guaranteed way to make money. Unfortunately for the stock market bulls, asset classes go in and out of favor, and gold has proven to be the next great asset class. The chart shows that it would be logical to expect the ratio to return to at least a value around 5. Perhaps a ratio of 5 would be gold 2000, Dow 10,000. How far down the ratio goes after that is completely dependent on government policy. Zero interest rates coupled with huge government deficits could send the Dow/Gold ratio far below 5.
WOOT! We have our "Death of Equities" sighting for this market cycle!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Sorry, but you're totally out of step with pretty much everyone in the financial community these days.

"Short term" refers to the period between now and tomorrow morning.

"Medium term" means next quarter.

"Long term means two or three quarters out.

No offense taken, guess its all relative... for me, with investing

Long Term: till SS gets here (35 years)
"money I need to last as long as me"

Mid Term: till my house is paid off (10-15 years hopefully)
"money I need to get to ER"

Short Term: that dang tax I get hit with when selling a stock within a year
"money I don't really care about... unless it makes me more money"

Old 03-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
From the link:

Yeah, I giggled at that quote too. Going to extremes in any discussion always makes the person making the extreme argument look ridiculous.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Gold has increased 58 fold since 1928, Clifp. A pretty close match to DOW 1928, easily surpassed by someone that got in during the depression.

Lesson: By stocks in depressions. Gold when stocks are highly valued. IE Buy on the dips-duh! (duh aimed at self, not others.)
Ah another opportunity to make a lecture about dividends. The Dow and SP index don't include dividends. From 1871 to 2001 the average dividend yield was 4.54%, Dow stocks traditional have higher than average yield but of course the last 10 years yield have dipped significantly. If we add a 4.5% yield over the last 84 years that adds another 40 fold increase to stocks (and that also fits with dividend providing roughly 40% of the total returns in the market).

This to me is the biggest difference between gold and stock, gold is non productive asset you have to pay to store, and insure so from an investors perspective you have can't actually realize all of golds gain. I.E. the returns of gold mutual fund or GLD lag the price appreciation of the metal . In contrast stocks produce income in the form of dividends and now days have very low transaction costs.

The caveat is that stocks look really good compared to gold from the prospective of US investors, for the rest of the world, I doubt the gap between stocks and gold investment is nearly as large.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Ah another opportunity to make a lecture about dividends. The Dow and SP index don't include dividends. From 1871 to 2001 the average dividend yield was 4.54%, Dow stocks traditional have higher than average yield but of course the last 10 years yield have dipped significantly. If we add a 4.5% yield over the last 84 years that adds another 40 fold increase to stocks (and that also fits with dividend providing roughly 40% of the total returns in the market).
Good point, when people only look at index levels and not factor in dividends for total return.

During the crash I cringed every time someone said that someone who owned "the market" (as defined by the Dow 30) at the 1929 market peak didn't come back to break-even until 1954. The reality is, if you include reinvested dividends, they got back to even in 1944, not 1954.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good point, when people only look at index levels and not factor in dividends for total return.

During the crash I cringed every time someone said that someone who owned "the market" (as defined by the Dow 30) at the 1929 market peak didn't come back to break-even until 1954. The reality is, if you include reinvested dividends, they got back to even in 1944, not 1954.
True. Historically dividends were a huge portion of total return. But back in 1930 the dividend yield was something like 8%. Today it is 2%. With luck, the money that used to be paid out as a dividend is finding equally productive uses. Otherwise
Old 03-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Exactly the anti-Wh*** that I have been hoping for.

Quote:
From the link:

Old 03-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #31
Confused about dryer sheets

I'm no gold bug, but as many of you know, the Harry Browne Permanent Portfolio has 25% gold and for a risk(volatility) return basis has been extremely hard to beat.

A discussion about the permanent value of gold should include the long-term viability of any fiat currency ever created. Given how QE1 or QE2 has inflated the money supply, when employment increases, watch out for inflation. Then maybe gold might be as worthy of scorn.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafmd View Post
I'm no gold bug, but as many of you know, the Harry Browne Permanent Portfolio has 25% gold and for a risk(volatility) return basis has been extremely hard to beat.

A discussion about the permanent value of gold should include the long-term viability of any fiat currency ever created. Given how QE1 or QE2 has inflated the money supply, when employment increases, watch out for inflation. Then maybe gold might be as worthy of scorn.

+1

The Harry Browne Permanent Portfolio, the experience of non US citizens with gold on this forum, and listening to one of my smartest friend discuss its value, are 3 reasons that I am no longer a gold skeptic.

I don't necessarily buy it at this level, but anybody who is at or near retirement and has <5-25% of their assets in gold I think is being prudent.

Of course I think prudence is over-rated, what fun would the 2008-2009 crisis have been if 25% of your assets were going up in price
Old 03-16-2012, 05:27 AM   #33

The permanent portfolio adds the discipline of rebalancing to its holdings, and this makes all the difference. It's success is part from the holdings and part from the rebalancing, and is a good example of how gold and PM can be used to increase overall portfolio return.