gold/precious metal in your portfolio?

One of my core funds keeps 5 to 10% of assets in gold bullion.

No, I do not. Too volitile for me.

My reasoning is that if I did, I'll probably only carry such a small portion that it isn't worth the time/effort. Also, when the going gets good with gold/precious metals not having any eliminates my temptation to hold too much and get greedy :)

Hold it?
You mean as in fondle, caress, stroke, pet, hug, or embrace it?

No, cash is easier to take with me.

wow this is a fast moving forum,

curious if anyone holds physical metal like this

img_1141273_0_738500ff3941f02ff326da47d09df65c.jpg

Permanent Portfolio is the fund I use for precious metals, and that is a small % of my portfolio as a fund holding.

We have about 4% in Vanguard Precious Metals and Mining, which is mostly PM.

Enough gold coins to stabilize my port fit nicely in one hand (but I keep them in the bank box). My dad got me interested in silver (US coins) many years ago. He left his coins to me and I also bought some bags when prices were quite modest. Not easily stored nor transported, but kind of a WTSHTF kind of investment (maybe like having 97 guns or is that just a handle for you?:cool:)

I have Fidelity Select Gold, stock in a precious metal mining Co. and junk silver coins.

I sold most of the gold and silver I had last month...~$3K.

Every few years I've bought a 1 ounce gold coin.......average cost about $500. Now they represent less than 1% of my net worth. I don't plan on ever spending them, except in a real emergency and someday, my kids will share them. And, I bought my last ounce at $1900. THAT HURT! I think they are a poor short term investment, and a great long term purchase just in case.

Currently just what is in PCRIX and Permanent Portfolio. Previously held Tocqueville, CEF, GLD, SLV, Vanguard precious metals.

This may help!

PIMCO CommodityRealReturn Strategy Fund Institutional Shares (PCRIX). E/R: 0.74%. Basically, this fund invests in futures derivatives designed to track the Dow Jones - UBS Commodities Index Excess Return. It invests enough in these futures to simulate full investment in Commodities. A smaller portion of the portfolio is set aside as collateral. The remaining cash is invested in TIPS. We like this fund both because it indexes the commodities portion of its investments and because it has the lowest expense ratio of any alternatives. This fund charges a 2% redemption fee, payable to the fund, if you sell within 30 days of purchasing. This is intended to be a disincentive to use the fund for short-term trading.

About 7-8% as GLD. Before you ask, we're about 55% fixed come.

Nope. I have used FSAGX and GDX before, which hold equities, but I don't want to get into another different tax situation nor into something with a price I don't really understand. Even if civilization collapsed could I buy food with gold? Those guns might be the better investment...

I hold precious metals in two different ways: 1) PCRIX, where precious metals make up some of the commodities futures they hold; and 2) actual gold and silver in secured locations. I don't hold the actual product as an investment because don't intend to ever sell any of it. I hold it as a short-term security against an societal collapse, that I hope I'll never need.

Sold all gold and most silver bullion this year. Bought 2 dual sport motorcycles and will buy another this winter when prices are low.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom