Join Early Retirement Today

GOLD up up and ?
Old 11-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

GOLD up up and ?

I have a little side business where I have been buying old jewelry from individuals for a bit more than the local pawn and jewelers pay then send it off for refining getting 95% of that days close. It puts a few hundred extra in my pocket each week but I have started getting a bit greedy by sitting on it lately as I have watched it go from $800 - $1185 in a short period of time.

Can someone explain to me in somewhat simply terms why they believe this is happening. (not me being greedy, but the huge jump in gold "value")
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

More people want to buy gold than sell it.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

oh boy...

I guess I deserved that!!!
Old 11-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
Can someone explain to me in somewhat simply terms why they believe this is happening. (not me being greedy, but the huge jump in gold "value")

I heard it's because India is buying gold... Q+A - Why is India buying IMF gold? | Business News | Reuters

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I hypothesize that a large number of people think the world is going to hell in a hand basket and they think that gold will save their behind. When I sold my gold coins to a local dealer last year, he told me people were buying gold "in a frenzy" the like he's never seen before. When I asked why, he replied that most of his customers bought gold because they were terrified of the future (and that was before Lehman went kaput, so I can't imagine what it's like now).

Interestingly, my mom's condo was burglarized recently. They didn't take a thing, not even her brand new laptop computer. The police said that the burglars belong to a new kind of gang specializing exclusively in the theft of cash and gold (jewelry, coins that people stash in their home, etc...). Fortunately, her gold jewelry/coins were very well concealed and they didn't find them.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:43 PM   #6

If it walks like a bubble and looks like a bubble, then it's a bubble. I have friends who bought gold 5 years ago and are now loving it. I hope they sell before the price crashes.
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to send it in every few days. Now, I force myself to send it in at least every two weeks no matter what, it has become more and more difficult however when I see gold jumping daily. But, I am turning around about 40-50% on my money as is so I know that it is just me being greedy.

I just wonder how long before the bubble does burst? If I was sitting on a lot of gold from 5 years ago I would sell now and be happy as punch!

I can see how a thief would want gold versus a laptop. It is untraceable and easily sold. Even if you are not in the trade and can't sell it to a refiner any pawn or jewelry store will buy it no questions asked.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

If I were in your shoes and had more than pocket change tied up in gold, I would seriously consider hedging my downside risk with option or shorts.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Just a little side business to make some extra money. Mostly buying a couple ounces or so a week from individuals. I have never had more than 3 or 4K worth at the time.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
When I sold my gold coins to a local dealer last year,.
FIREdreamer, how did you sell your coins, local coin shop? Did you get the spot price? I am sitting on a few coins which I want to sell but it seems too complicated or to expensive in charges to sell. Many places buy $50 under spot and sell $50 over PER COIN. But that seems like a lot of fee to me, my stocks trade free at Wells Fargo, even full service brokers don't charge that much. If I sell 5 of these thats $250 and really for not much risk since even more than stocks gold is a 'store' of value. And then if I sell a certain number (3, I think) in my own state (CA) I have to address CA state tax issues. Gold does not seem simple to me it seems complicated.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I've neither bought nor sold from these guys - but they're just up the road a piece. C'mon $1200.....
GOLD BULLION - Welcome to Affordable Jewelry & Precious Metals | Live, Accurate up to the minute pricing! Phone: 1-800-690-4995
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
FIREdreamer, how did you sell your coins, local coin shop? Did you get the spot price? I am sitting on a few coins which I want to sell but it seems too complicated or to expensive in charges to sell. Many places buy $50 under spot and sell $50 over PER COIN. But that seems like a lot of fee to me, my stocks trade free at Wells Fargo, even full service brokers don't charge that much. If I sell 5 of these thats $250 and really for not much risk since even more than stocks gold is a 'store' of value. And then if I sell a certain number (3, I think) in my own state (CA) I have to address CA state tax issues. Gold does not seem simple to me it seems complicated.
Yes it was a local jeweler/coin collector shop. A $50 commission on the sale or purchase of a $1,000+ coin (or 5%) seems to be very standard to me. I don't know any dealer who will give you spot. You have to shop around and negotiate with the dealer to try and reduce those commissions as much as you can. Local dealers may not be the cheapest. IIRC, I sold my coins 7% or so below spot. I had a huge gain on the sale, so I decided it was worth it, especially when I took into account the hassles of doing business with an online dealer (shipping, insurance, etc...) who was still going to charge me 5% commission anyways. With my local dealer, I got money on the spot and went on my way.

I found one way to buy precious metal below spot: auctions. I have bought a lot of silver below spot over the years.

Gold is really not that complicated, but it is true that there are some pitfalls. Selling and buying is relatively easy (and anonymous for those for whom it is important), but the gains are taxed at a higher rate than other long term capital gains, and it is expensive to trade. I bought gold as an investment in 2003 and, even after commissions and taxes, the return was still well worth the extra work.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:19 AM   #13

My understanding (which could be completely wrong) is that the rise in gold is being demand led:

1. investor demand (including India's large purchase recently)
2. large miners unwinding hedge positions (including Barrick)
3. ETFs effectively increasing the accessibility of gold to investors

#2 will not continue indefinitely.

At least some of the investor demand is being driven by the fall in the USD in which gold is nominally priced.

The supply side has seen modest falls in production by miners and sales by central banks being reduced or limited.

I do not hold gold.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:03 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
1. investor demand (including India's large purchase recently)
2. large miners unwinding hedge positions (including Barrick)
3. ETFs effectively increasing the accessibility of gold to investors
You're exactly right, at least as far as I can see.
ultimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:06 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I don't know any dealer who will give you spot.
Go to GOLD SILVER EAGLES US WORLDWIDE BULLION DEALER AMERICAN COINS BARS. They'll give you 10 to 20 dollars above spot price depending on which coins you have.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:08 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

That's strange. That link is not what I wrote. What I wrote was t u l v i n g . c o m
Old 11-26-2009, 05:51 AM   #17

I heard somewhere recently that since 1980, gold when adjusted for inflation has been one of the worst performing asset classes, and the recent run up in price is mostly due to speculation.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #18

Bubble, bubble..toil and trouble! If I were going to buy gold equities it would be in the machinery that digs out the gold more than the gold itself.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:03 AM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

"worst performing assets classes"? I bought all my gold and silver in the late '90s and it has quadrupled since then. My Platinum went up 10 times and I sold it (to Tulving.com), and then it fell by half. Think of precious metals as money because as the dollar slides down the metals keep going up. The world's central banks are running the presses so all hard assets will continue to rise (long term). I think silver is especially still undervalued. There is more physical gold on the surface than there is silver, yet gold is selling for 63 times the price of silver. According to the US Geological Survey the earth will be depleted of silver in less than 35 years. This is a critical metal in many industrial, high tech, and military applications, and now being used by the medical industry because of it's antibacterial qualities. Silver is consumed, gold just accumulates. When gasoline is 20 bucks a gallon it won't matter to me because my metals will be worth a lot more.
Zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm not particularly adept at investing, I have no special skills or knowledge in the area, except that I guess I'm aware of my own ignorance and that limits the stupid things I can do. I started investing in the late 90s, and thank the deity that I've had money in the gold and real estate bubbles along with the portion I've had in stocks. Gold and real estate have made up for stocks during the last decade since the stock market is essentially where it was 10 years ago, in only nominal dollars of course.

Got out of real estate in 2005 and have been slowly getting out of gold over the past six months. I'd rather be good, but I'll take (somewhat) lucky.
shigsy is offline   Reply With Quote