Join Early Retirement Today

Goldman Director resigns and lets it all hang out
Old 03-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Goldman Director resigns and lets it all hang out

Here is a NYTimes OP Ed by a senior Goldman Sachs guy who has resigned as he is disgusted with the way he feels they rip off their customers. It adds to the general perception on here that financial advisers don't necessarily have their clients' best interests at heart.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/op...me&ref=general

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Here is a NYTimes OP Ed by a senior Goldman Sachs guy who has resigned as he is disgusted with the way he feels they rip off their customers. It adds to the general perception on here that financial advisers don't necessarily have their clients' best interests at heart.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/op...me&ref=general
Not earth shattering news, Goldman and the like have been ripping off investors for over a century.........

You can't compare a Goldman Sachs hedge fund manager to a financial advisor, that's like comparing a elephant to an ant..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great letter and check out this deliciously satiric "response" from Goldman penned by Andy Borowitz:

Borowitz Report
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
Great letter and check out this deliciously satiric "response" from Goldman penned by Andy Borowitz:

Borowitz Report

Delicious indeed....
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Borowitz Report
Anyone someone tries to wear the Lord as a banner concerning business matters, I see a HUGE RED FLAG.
misty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty57 View Post
Anyone someone tries to wear the Lord as a banner concerning business matters, I see a HUGE RED FLAG.
Ahem...

That letter is satire, written by the guy who runs the website.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Soooo, Goldman's hiring?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Interesting resignation letter, I wish I thought it would have any impact, I don't.

I wonder if the leaders at Vanguard publicly refer to us as 'muppets?' I doubt it, certainly hope not.

And I wish this quote from the letter surprised me at all, it doesn't. I'd say it describes our political leaders and much of the mainstream population at all levels, why should the folks at Goldman be any different than the majority? Lying, cheating & stealing are far more common now than they were when most of us were kids, no comparison...
Quote:
How did we get here? The firm changed the way it thought about leadership. Leadership used to be about ideas, setting an example and doing the right thing. Today, if you make enough money for the firm (and are not currently an ax murderer) you will be promoted into a position of influence.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ahem...

That letter is satire, written by the guy who runs the website.
Satire aside, the fact is that sales people do it all the time and people fall for it all the time.
misty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Borowitz Report
I thought it was a pretty lame response, there are far more creative people here...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #11

He's obviously quasi-whistleblower...although he admits he saw nothing illegal. I'm mostly on his side, with a few caveats.

At the MegaCorp I work for, we DO focus on our profits, which we call "gross margins", and rarely discuss in detail the profits we can make for our customers, although I am proud of our company because there is a general belief that we only make money by making/saving our customers money. It's not a zero sum game where I work.

I'm glad there are people like this. He will take a lot of heat, and will get a lot of praise as well. He'll likely be called bitter and a bunch of other names. He'll probably write a book next...it will be a big seller.

Based on what I read, he's very young? Does anyone have a link to a photo of him?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
Based on what I read, he's very young? Does anyone have a link to a photo of him?
Greg Smith Isn't A Whistleblower, He's Just A Goldman Sachs Executive Having A Midlife Crisis - Forbes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (13.8 KB, 274 views)
Old 03-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm glad there are people like this. He will take a lot of heat, and will get a lot of praise as well. He'll likely be called bitter and a bunch of other names. He'll probably write a book next...it will be a big seller.
I guess this is one positive regarding moves away from defined benefit pensions and toward 401K plans -- it allows people disgusted with bad business practices more freedom to leave *and* speak their minds about it...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #14

I thought that pic was the CEO Blankfein?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He says so himself, right in the op-ed:

He worked at GS for 12 years right out of college. Those 12 years include 2 as an intern, which would make him . . .32.

I have trouble taking seriously a critique of 143 years of culture at the firm by a guy who's only about eight years removed from doing breakfast runs for the trading desk.

Edit to add: If he thinks any of this is new, he should pick up a copy of Liars Poker - which is almost as old as he is. I'm not saying he's wrong in his assessment of what is currently happening, it's just hysterical that he thinks any of this is a revelation or even a recent development.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Maybe he is in this company photo, taken at the Goldman Sachs Christmas party?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (37.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, that photos IS CEO Blankfein.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
He says so himself, right in the op-ed:

He worked at GS for 12 years right out of college. Those 12 years include 2 as an intern, which would make him . . .32.

I have trouble taking seriously a critique of 143 years of culture at the firm by a guy who's only about eight years removed from doing breakfast runs for the trading desk.

Edit to add: If he thinks any of this is new, he should pick up a copy of Liars Poker - which is almost as old as he is. I'm not saying he's wrong in his assessment of what is currently happening, it's just hysterical that he thinks any of this is a revelation or even a recent development.
I do take him seriously. He was obviously sharp enough to A) get a scholarship B) graduate with honors C) Get on at Goldman D) Rise to a very high position E) Get chosen for the recruiting role as a great "face" of Goldman to outsiders and so on...he's proven his mettle IMO.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #19

Good one Alan.

I'm sure his photo will be on the news tonight.

Edit: P.S. You likely won't see him eating dinner at the local Applebees for a few days until this simmer's down.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I do take him seriously. He was obviously sharp enough to A) get a scholarship B) graduate with honors C) Get on at Goldman D) Rise to a very high position E) Get chosen for the recruiting role as a great "face" of Goldman to outsiders and so on...he's proven his mettle IMO.
Goldman Sachs doesn't hire schlumps. Everyone who works there has an impressive resume. But director isn't a very high position. It sounds like a very high position, but consider that once someone gets out of gradschool his first promotion is to Vice President. His second promotion . . . Director. (Edit: I see that he is in fact an Executive Director and Head of US Equity Derivatives etc. I stand corrected on that point, which only makes the next point all the more true).

And I'd add, those two several promotions tell you that he was at one time very good at doing the things he now says are beneath him.