Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I'm not sure that's entirely true. When I was looking at early retirement as a possibility, I ran across John Greaney on the web. IIRC, he retired at 38 or some ridiculously young age an did not have a windfall. . . .
As mentioned by others, the point wasn't about retiring early, it was about replacing 100% of your peak earnings on a recurring basis at a very early age.

Just to show how nearly impossible this is I ran some numbers. Assuming our retiree earns 100% of his peak earnings every year of his 20 year working career, earns a 5% real return on his investments, and plans to withdraw 4% of his portfolio at retirement (a high WR for a ~38 year old retiree), our retiree would have to save 76% of his GROSS pay (before taxes), every year. Many people pay more than 24% of their earnings in taxes.

If we assume he gets even a modest 2% raise every year, he would need to save 96% of his gross pay.

While this might be an interesting mathematical exercise, the bigger question is why anyone would set this as a goal in the first place. If one is capable of living on a fraction of their pre-retirement salary, why would they need to replace 100% of their peak earnings anyway?

Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
If one is capable of living on a fraction of their pre-retirement salary, why would they need to replace 100% of their peak earnings anyway?
Yup, I'm sure it's been mentioned in these forums before, this is the flaw in the oft-bandied about need to replace 70% of pre-retirement income. Everyone's situation is so different that it's a completely pointless number to state even as a general barometer.

tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
Agreed. At best, you only need to replace 100% of what your adjusted income was.

"Adjusted" means after subtracting out FICA, 401K & IRA contributions, etc. FICA is 7.2%, 401K is maybe 10%-15% ($15,500 max), IRA is $6000 max. Plus back out most of your income tax, since most of your post-retirement income will be either not taxed or taxed at a lower rate.

Plus, for us, moving to another state and trading my $13,000 real-estate tax bill for a $2500 one.

rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote